What do you think about KDE Plasma's current situation?
Welcome, Guest.
I think Linux is a great thing in the big picture. It's a great hacker's tool and it has a lot of potential to become something more. -Jamie Zawinski

Author Topic: What do you think about KDE Plasma's current situation?  (Read 348 times)

Offline eronis

What do you think about KDE Plasma's current situation?
« on: December 22, 2018, 07:20:25 AM »
I've been following KDE for a few years now, and I must say, it's getting better all the time. As an XFCE user, I thought KDE was a buggy mess when plasma was released. I see people comparing KDE Plasma with XFCE in terms of lightness. I've used KDE Plasma for several months on an i5 machine, but right now I'm at college, and I'm writing this from a Celeron netbook. Do you think plasma got light enough for this netbook as well? Because I have a really slow connection. I want to hear out your experiences on the matter. By the way, I wonder about you too @Spatry ? You've got a new laptop new as far as I know, and a very powerful one at that. You've been trying out distros yourself. Did your opinion about XFCE change?
The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it. --Linus Torvalds

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: What do you think about KDE Plasma's current situation?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 07:47:57 AM »
XFCE is transitioning to Gtk3 which uses more memory. KDE is optimizing their desktop, it is doing more with less ram requirements. A surprising turn of events to be sure. I am still using XFCE and I may consider Plasma once I get a larger hard drive... I also want a great replacement for Whisker menu... it is only on XFCE and I cannot live without it!
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline eronis

Re: Re: What do you think about KDE Plasma's current situation?
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 08:26:25 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I also want a great replacement for Whisker menu... it is only on XFCE and I cannot live without it!
Sorry, but I had to make this joke :D
The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it. --Linus Torvalds

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 09:55:14 AM »
Ahhhh! My EARS! Make it STOP!!! Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze!

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 12:37:04 AM »
i actually liked the song its cosmic lol. now on to the question at hand ive used the new plasma kde on some low spec pc and in some cases ran better then some light de. the team has thoroughly impressed me with what they have done with it over the years yes when the plasma de came out it was a mess but didnt take long for the community to get together and made it what it is today.  
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline cage

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 01:31:18 AM »
I have been using KDE since version 4. I ran Cinnamon for a while but grew to dislike it and tried KDE and been using it ever since.  I have it on a Pentium Celeron of which only has 4g of memory.  It's not a stellar machine and is pretty slow.  How ever once I turned off most of the eye candy and a few other things the machine runs really good.  I still like KDE except for the latest thing they have done with Dolphin not being able to run in root mode.  So now I have to use Thunar or SpaceFM to do root work.  

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 01:04:00 PM »
I haven't tried KDE in a while. Before getting my Legion, I was on low-spec computers that couldn't handle it. Also, didn't previously enjoy using Dolphin, but that's the nice thing about Linux... I can change it. May have to give it a try now to see how it does. :)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 02:51:49 PM »
I haven't tried KDE in a while. Before getting my Legion, I was on low-spec computers that couldn't handle it. Also, didn't previously enjoy using Dolphin, but that's the nice thing about Linux... I can change it. May have to give it a try now to see how it does. :) 
<sigh> So many choices, so little time! 

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
Re: Re: What do you think about KDE Plasma's current situation?
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 03:11:07 PM »
<sigh> So many choices, so little time!
yea the biggest problem of being a linux user is the choices its so hard to make choices no no no lmao.
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline eronis

Re: What do you think about KDE Plasma\'s current situation?
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2018, 02:34:14 PM »
I'm running KDE on my Manjaro netbook and I must say, I see no noticable difference in terms of performance :)
Note: Because now I am preparing to launch openSUSE Turkey forum, I'll switch to openSUSE Leap. It's funny that I am a Manjaro user as a openSUSE forum moderator :P
That's our website. I would like to hear any critics or suggestions about it. I think openSUSE is great, but it's a distro completely ignored by community. I hope we can change it in Turkey :)

Post Merge: May 07, 2019, 03:19:35 PM
I don't mean to necro this topic, but I'm sure some of you have tried the latest GNOME. How was your experience? I don't have good internet access here, so I can't test it out here. I'd really appreciate if any of you shared your thoughts with me. KDE was pretty responsive on my netbook, but what about GNOME? Is it snappy on lower end hardware?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 03:19:35 PM by eronis »