Notion Window Manager
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: Notion Window Manager  (Read 938 times)

Offline FloppyMcDisk

• Greetings fellow penguins!
Notion Window Manager
« on: September 20, 2018, 08:00:13 PM »
Hey Spat! It's great to see you back.
Anyway, I was wondering if you'd be interested in looking at a lesser-known window manager called Notion. It's what you call a tiling-tabbed window manager, which in my opinion offers more flexibility when compared to a traditional dynamic-tiling window manager. I've been using it as my default for some time and I personally think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread (despite the default key command layout but that's easy to tweak). Anyway, feel free to check it out, it might peak your interest.
http://notion.sourceforge.net/
For more info, check out their sourceforge page.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Notion Window Manager
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 08:09:00 PM »
Is there any distribution which offers it as a default desktop? I am not gonna mess up my manjaro installation so I will prefer to install it in a VM on top of a supported OS. Do you use it? What distro?

ACK! I looked at the keyboard shortcut page and thought... WTF is this? Looking at how they labeled the keyboard I am starting to get a migrane! Is this supposed to be user friendly? LOL
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline FloppyMcDisk

• Greetings fellow penguins!
Re: Notion Window Manager
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 03:05:35 PM »
As far as I'm aware there are no distributions that include this software as it is not very well known. This shouldn't mess anything up on your OS as it's a small application, but small netinstall of Debian or whatnot on a virtual machine works just fine. However it doesn't usually show up in display manager's greet menu so you're probably going to have to open a blank TTY and type "startx /usr/bin/notion". This window manager is available in the standard package repositories of arch, ubuntu, debian, etc so there should be no hassle to install it. To answer your last question, it is definitely not what I would call user-friendly. :p this is seems to be  primarily aimed towards computer enthusiasts who like to tinker and micromanage their work space. I can share you my configuration files if you can't stand the default. I know I couldn't. If you're still interested that is.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 03:50:15 PM by FloppyMcDisk »