Vivaldi is the best web browser I've ever used.
Welcome, Guest.
I think Linux is a great thing in the big picture. It's a great hacker's tool and it has a lot of potential to become something more. -Jamie Zawinski

Author Topic: Vivaldi is the best web browser I've ever used.  (Read 1093 times)

Offline OrvilleG

Vivaldi is the best web browser I've ever used.
« on: September 16, 2018, 10:54:20 PM »
I was a huge fan of Opera when it was in it's prime. I later dropped it because i ahted the way it was going. Turns out the creator agreed with me and made Vivaldi. This browser is just amazing, I've never had such a smooth browsing experience. From the accent colours and customization, to the rock solid base. It's almost perfect.

The only thing it's missing is a sync system. Turns out that's in beta right now.

I've been using it for close to a year now, and I've had 0 issues, I can't recommend this browser enough
Here's a link for those who are curious You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Vivaldi is the best web browser I've ever used.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 12:07:15 AM »
I use Vivaldi too... out of all of the webkit (chromium) based browsers, Vivaldi seems to have the best customization options. Unfortunately, Firefox (waterfox actually) just started to feel bloated and slow... needed something faster...
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 10:04:29 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The only thing it's missing is a sync system. Turns out that's in beta right now.

I've been using it for close to a year now, and I've had 0 issues, I can't recommend this browser enough
Here's a link for those who are curious You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I was actually wondering when they were going to release that? Will be nice to have settings sync across multiple devices. I would have to agree though, the level of customization offered by Vivaldi is really unmatched vs others browsers. It is lightning fast and overall I've only maybe once had an issue in terms of compatibility when it was first released on the forum here. However, that has since been resolved. 

Would also highly recommend!

Offline cage

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 03:56:52 AM »
While I agree that it is a nice looking browser, I find it very buggy.  I had to play around with it to get the dials to display images, and am still trying to figure out just how to get youtube videos to play.  The youtube page always crashes and I get the black error page.  While I agree that Firefox is getting bloated but at least it works out of the box.  Eventually Vivaldi will end up a really good browser, and I will wait till then to use it as my primary browser.

Offline eronis

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 05:26:17 AM »
Isn't Vivaldi just another Chromium rip off just like Opera? What makes those browsers so good, you use them instead of Chrome?
The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it. --Linus Torvalds

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 07:26:45 AM »
Isn't Vivaldi just another Chromium rip off just like Opera? What makes those browsers so good, you use them instead of Chrome?
Actually the browsers are built on the webkit engine, not necessarily clones of Chrome. There are many browsers which make use of this technology: Apple Safari, Chromium, Midori, Opera & Vivaldi. There are many more, I am sure. I like what Vivaldi brings to the table, It's fast and has lots of customization options. It certainly does not feel like a cheap knock-off of something else... LOL

Offline OrvilleG

Re: Re: Vivaldi is the best web browser I've ever used.
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 10:17:44 PM »

That's like asking why use "Manjaro when you can use Arch?" Sure, Manjaro is based on Arch, but it adds so much more.

In Vivaldi's case it uses the Webkit engine like Spatry said, but it adds so much more to it.

Offline Spearmint2

• Supporter =D
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 03:34:10 PM »
I use Vivaldi too... out of all of the webkit (chromium) based browsers, Vivaldi seems to have the best customization options. Unfortunately, Firefox (waterfox actually) just started to feel bloated and slow... needed something faster...
One easy thing to speed up firefox is to open about:config and put the "media.autoplay.enabled" to "false". I don't know why the default was set to "true" but who wants to open several youtube videos and have them all start playing. Egads, I had to change that one quickly in Firefox.

Turning off a lot of the "telemetry" settings in there can help too. Also, if one doesn't use the "sync" functions, those can be turned off too.

Offline OrvilleG

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 06:06:23 PM »
Just a quick update, Cloud Sync is now in the stable version

Offline cage

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 11:15:28 PM »
Well the latest update fixed all the problems I had with Vivaldi so I am now running it as my main browser.  I really like it now and hope it gets better and better as time goes on.

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 11:11:56 AM »
i try using vivaldi with youtube it errors out with live youtube videos its way faster then firefox but it wont let live video play.  any suggestions or has someone had this issue i just updated to the latest 2.0
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2018, 11:16:03 AM »
You may need to install the extra codecs for Vivaldi. There are 2 packages which will extend this functionality. They are in the AUR or You may be able to get a PPA for the Buntus.
Code: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
1. vivaldi-codecs-ffmpeg-extra-bin
2. vivaldi-widevine

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2018, 11:26:30 AM »
yea well im using deepin it has vivaldi in its packages ill have to do a duck duck go search update i had to use the chromium codecs by using this code for debian and ubuntu based installs.
Code: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
sudo apt update && sudo apt install chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 11:31:34 AM by farevildee »
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline OrvilleG

Re: Re: Vivaldi is the best web browser I've ever used.
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2018, 09:03:48 PM »
For distros that don't have the codecs in their repository:

It's a simple script that extracts the contents of the Ubuntu package and places it in the required files in the proper directories.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2018, 06:38:13 AM »
Ooh! That is a good one EricG! Thanks for the share!