Light WM or a beautiful DE?
Welcome, Guest.
We're BACK! Some users will need to upload new avatars to their profile, sorry about that! Registrations are temporarily closed. -Spat

Author Topic: Light WM or a beautiful DE?  (Read 983 times)

Offline Ithildin

Light WM or a beautiful DE?
« on: August 26, 2018, 08:54:46 PM »
Out of curiosity, I would like to try and get a general consensus/ maybe start a discussion about having a light WM or having an eye candy DE.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Light WM or a beautiful DE?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 09:03:47 PM »
Welcome to the community.... Compiz (Beryl) SOLD me on Linux... In addition to having all of my hardware working... Seeing Linux do things I could not do in Windows was definitely a game changer... While the special effects are nice, I ended up outgrowing it and prefer functionality and stability over eye candy. There are good reasons for having a compositor like KWIN or Compiz... They provide excellent accessibility features... at the end of the day, I will stick by my guns and simply say.... EXPERIMENTATION IS KEY... try several distributions and desktop configurations and use the software you enjoy the most. The only limit is your imagination!
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline ben (gentoo/linux) fitzpatrick

• mCOLe Maintainer & Dirty Helga's Apprentice
  • Staff Member
  • Mr. Arch Linux
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 09:22:52 PM »
i like compiz but i prefer KWIN, but as spatry said it's your decision AND experimentation is key too. there are several videos on youtube for kwin, some good ones by spatry and matthew moore which i can link if needed/wanted. But yes play around with the compiz and/or kwin settings. That's key to make it look amazing.
the Arch man

Offline fchaos

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 09:34:49 PM »
it's really all about what you are doing and what you want to do...

if you have a powerful machine, and you like beauty, then a compositor like Compiz or KWIN is a must... if you have a less powerful machine, or you are doing a lot of intensive processing that you need all your power for, then it makes sense to go lightweight.

the one thing I think a lot of people miss in this discussion is, if you've got a good powerful graphics card, the compositors really don't hamper the CPU cycles all that much. Since most of the graphics processing is being done on the GPU anyway. Of course, your applications might be graphics intensive, and you don't want to waste GPU cycles on eye candy either...  but that usually only happens of you're doing actual graphics processing, making videos, or mining crypto-currency...

the main thing is to analyze your needs, and your desires and go from there... personally I couldn't live without Compiz-Reloaded at this point. I used to be constantly messing with my desktop, changing everything and new wallpapers, new icons, moving stuff around... since I switched to Compiz-Reloaded and set up Dr Who Tardis 3d Desktop, I have been running it that way for three years and feel no need to change it.

in case anyone is interested, here's a short video of my Dr. Who Tardis console Compiz Desktop (forgive me all the intro title and outro credit... should have made that part shorter)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypBe1HoVql0
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 09:06:43 PM by fraterchaos »

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 11:04:33 AM »
Welcome to the COL Forum Ithildin! To be honest, I kind of prefer a mix of the two. I use compton to help with the screen tearing issues in XFCE, however apart from that having a simple black theme with a nice wallpaper is all I need. Never have been into all of the different window effects. Maybe it's just me though as I mainly use my computer for schoolwork and online browsing, so I don't care about them. Although, I have seen what some people can do with them (I think fraterchaos did a Dr. Who themed one) which was honestly really cool, but I can't see myself investing the time into it. *shrug*

Offline Vintalorian

• SIMPLE. ELEGANT. FAST. LINUX.
    • Vintalorian's Home
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 09:48:40 AM »
I'm a recent convert to i3WM. Manjaro's implementation is super solid.
Do the right thing. Use Linux.

Offline aDewil

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 06:57:12 PM »
for me de is how is working for my brain.

kde features and settings works for me in brain way.

trinity dekstop is one of best ones and is kde 3,5 fork.

xfce, mate and lxqt mostly works for me, but not perfectly for my brain.

cinnamon customization not woking for me, but otherwise is easy get looking better.

enlightment and moksha (fork) is nice looking and really light weight destop, lighter than xfce.
customization setting scattered too widely around setting panel and hard find what i want change.
when customization settings compactin more to one area, it should gettint easier customizations.
otherwise really promising and good desktop.

unity just ****ty, allmost nothign customization options.

you should select dektop wich one is compatible your brain.

Offline fchaos

• Contributor
Re: Re: Light WM or a beautiful DE?
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 09:28:04 PM »

enlightment and moksha (fork) is nice looking and really light weight destop, lighter than xfce.
customization setting scattered too widely around setting panel and hard find what i want change.
when customization settings compactin more to one area, it should gettint easier customizations.
otherwise really promising and good desktop.

I agree on Enlightenment... I love how it looks, but it's not very intuitive and hard to customize.

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
Re: Re: Re: Light WM or a beautiful DE?
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 11:34:38 AM »
I agree on Enlightenment... I love how it looks, but it's not very intuitive and hard to customize.

I've got to admit, I really like the simplicity of the Enlightment desktop (or Moksha) on Bohdi Linux, however I would have to agree that the Settings menu is a little more complicated than it needs to be. Overall, the UI isn't setup to allow you to quick navigate around and requires digging through numerous sub-menus in order to accomplish something that you could in 1-2 clicks (such as changing the desktop background, etc).

However, it is a very lightweight and fast DE to work with (especially on older hardware).

Another thing that ended up deterring me from using it (at the time) is that the devs while working on a later release of Enlightment 19, were in fact still using E17 as it had some pretty serious bugs at the time. Unfortunately, so much so that it was not viable to use as a daily driver. That didn't sit well with me, I really believe they should have first worked out the kinks with the later version of E19 before releasing it. However, if the intent was to have it tested in mass to give them an idea of the different issues faced by their community, it did well in that regard. Ultimately, this ended up making way for the Moksha DE as a fork off of E17 (stable) as shown in the article below.

https://www.bodhilinux.com/2015/04/28/introducing-the-moksha-desktop/

The dev has done a fantastic job with Moksha and I can really appreciate him moving away from Midori as the default web browser to GNOME-browser (Epiphany).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 11:48:31 AM by Kalthrix »