steam and wine
Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: steam and wine  (Read 265 times)

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
steam and wine
« on: June 29, 2018, 09:03:56 PM »
ok before i was able to install steam under wine using play on linux. Now i try to do it I can't download one thing keeps saying servers are unreadable wth hell is goin lately.
Linux is the world of computing were you make your own rules and decisions and not by some corporate aholes!!!!!

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
Re: steam and wine
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 08:51:35 AM »
Odd, how long has it been happening? I've not been noticing any issues on my end and I use both the native and WINE-based Steam clients. Screenshot?

Also, managed across this site. Not sure of its accuracy, but thought the information it provided was useful just in case. I guess could track down the specific server that you're connecting to and try to run a traceroute to see if it is getting held up anywhere.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline farevildee

• Staff Member
Re: Re: steam and wine
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 03:14:23 PM »
Odd, how long has it been happening? I've not been noticing any issues on my end and I use both the native and WINE-based Steam clients. Screenshot?

Also, managed across this site. Not sure of its accuracy, but thought the information it provided was useful just in case. I guess could track down the specific server that you're connecting to and try to run a traceroute to see if it is getting held up anywhere.

its on all of its been happaning this last couple weeks native steam is fine its just steam under wine and the distros have been ubuntu based cause its just easier to have a distro that can deal with hybrid graphics lol.
Linux is the world of computing were you make your own rules and decisions and not by some corporate aholes!!!!!

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
Re: Re: Re: steam and wine
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 08:31:14 AM »
its on all of its been happaning this last couple weeks native steam is fine its just steam under wine and the distros have been ubuntu based cause its just easier to have a distro that can deal with hybrid graphics lol.

Hmm... doesn't sound like a server issue but wondering if maybe they aren't set to download from the same region. I would check where it is downloading and try to switch it somewhere else. I had an issue similar to this at one point where the Denver server was flooded and my connection would drop constantly while downloading games.

Pulled this from the Steam site.

Content Servers

Steam uses content servers that are located all over the world. Steam attempts to select the best content server based on your location.  If Steam downloads are going slower than expected, please double check your current download region:

* Start Steam
* Go to Steam > Settings > Downloads tab
* Under Download region, select the region that you are in or that is closest to you.
* You can also try various regions near your location to see if a better connection is available.

Looks like there may be another workaround as well detailed in a bug report on WINE. I'm guessing it is an issue with how Chromium sandboxes itself.

Hopefully either of those fixes the issue.

Offline farevildee

• Staff Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 07:12:59 PM »
well the downloads arent slow they just wont even start and i tried every server so its not that i have both chromium and firefox firefox came with the distro i like using chromium better cause all my sights are saved on chrome lol. 

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 04:12:48 PM »
well the downloads arent slow they just wont even start and i tried every server so its not that i have both chromium and firefox firefox came with the distro i like using chromium better cause all my sights are saved on chrome lol.

Yeah, at that point I'm at a loss. Short of removing Steam, then WINE and trying to reinstall. Possibly, installing on an earlier version of WINE. Not sure what else may help. Hopefully, someone here will have more information or something else you can try to get it working. :(

Offline farevildee

• Staff Member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 05:37:11 PM »
Yea its frustrating as hell to keep fighting with it lol.

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 06:34:21 PM »
That's quite strange, I've never had a problem getting steam to work through vanilla wine, playonlinux or lutris.
If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.

Offline farevildee

• Staff Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 04:26:45 AM »
That's quite strange, I've never had a problem getting steam to work through vanilla wine, playonlinux or lutris.
Yea something weird is going on but im gonna keep at it lol.