Looking for browser recommendations
Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Looking for browser recommendations  (Read 173 times)

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
Looking for browser recommendations
« on: June 27, 2018, 02:44:14 PM »
Hi guys, looking for recommendations on feature-rich, but secure browsers for Android. Something that doesn't have a blinding white UI (dark theme preferred, not night mode), however is secure and would be awesome if it was able to block ads. No reason to be wasting data for advertisements I don't want to see outside of supporting channels that I am subscribed to on YouTube and other sites that I choose to whitelist.

Currently, running Puffin Browser which seems to be ok, however may not be the most secure considering it has the ability to run Flash content. Ended up going through probably up to 20 different browsers, ended up finding a few that offered a darker theme but didn't perform necessarily well. Others that, well, should be categorized as malware to be honest. Either have running ads at the bottom of the browser window or fake ads telling me my phone is infected. * facepalm *

Surprised that Firefox mobile doesn't feature the dark compact theme like its desktop counterpart or I would have been sold.

Thanks again for everyone's help with this!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
Re: Looking for browser recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 08:38:58 PM »
opera offers all the bells and whistles with a dark theme it does have night mode but  the dark theme is seperate i use it on my all the time.
Linux is the world of computing were you make your own rules and decisions and not by some corporate aholes!!!!!

Offline Crimson

• Elite Member
  • PC PrimeApe
    • Syndicate Underground
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 09:30:47 PM »
Firefox Focus? That's a pretty sweet browser. Dolphin is an oldie but goodie. Yandex is kinda cool. That's about the only three I can think of. I really like Focus, though. It's really good for privacy and I think it has a built in ad blocker. I don't know about dark mode/themes, but it looks slick out of the box.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 11:32:02 PM »
I like Vivaldi! It is running like a champ for me!
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
Re: Re: Looking for browser recommendations
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 09:28:37 AM »
opera offers all the bells and whistles with a dark theme it does have night mode but  the dark theme is seperate i use it on my all the time.

I haven't tried Opera out in a while. Didn't remember a dark theme for the mobile client. Just took a look though and sure enough, there it is. Going to set it as my default. Thank you again for the recommendation!

Firefox Focus? That's a pretty sweet browser. Dolphin is an oldie but goodie. Yandex is kinda cool. That's about the only three I can think of. I really like Focus, though. It's really good for privacy and I think it has a built in ad blocker. I don't know about dark mode/themes, but it looks slick out of the box.

I checked out both Dolphin and Yandex. Oddly, both of them I am getting those fake virus ads. Yandex now has a ad banner across the bottom of the browser and comes up with those full-screen popup ads as well ruining the experience. It was fast, but the ads kind of did it in for me. :(

Took a look at Firefox Focus the other day and the theme isn't completely dark, but it's not bad. More of a glass theme. Still though, the built-in ad blocker is nice to have. Thinking that I will go ahead and grab it as a secondary. Thanks again for the recommendation!

I like Vivaldi! It is running like a champ for me!

I'd go for it because I love being able to customize the browser in full, but sadly it's not available on Android yet. :(

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
Re: Re: Re: Looking for browser recommendations
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 03:18:40 PM »
I haven't tried Opera out in a while. Didn't remember a dark theme for the mobile client. Just took a look though and sure enough, there it is. Going to set it as my default. Thank you again for the recommendation!

I checked out both Dolphin and Yandex. Oddly, both of them I am getting those fake virus ads. Yandex now has a ad banner across the bottom of the browser and comes up with those full-screen popup ads as well ruining the experience. It was fast, but the ads kind of did it in for me. :(

Took a look at Firefox Focus the other day and the theme isn't completely dark, but it's not bad. More of a glass theme. Still though, the built-in ad blocker is nice to have. Thinking that I will go ahead and grab it as a secondary. Thanks again for the recommendation!

I'd go for it because I love being able to customize the browser in full, but sadly it's not available on Android yet. :(
yea its the only browser i use on mine works perfectly
Linux is the world of computing were you make your own rules and decisions and not by some corporate aholes!!!!!