Dell Eithernet connection problems
Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Dell Eithernet connection problems  (Read 92 times)

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
Dell Eithernet connection problems
« on: June 22, 2018, 02:24:17 PM »
Machine:  Dell Vostro 400
This computer has always given me trouble with it's eithernet.  It's hard to get it to connect to my router.  And or routers.  My first router/modem is what the ISP provided me, the second one is the ASUS I bought to go between the computers and the Modem.

I never messed around with the IP settings.  All my other computers have no trouble connecting to either routers.  But this machine has always been buggy.  Sometimes I got to disconnect and wait a minute or two and then try reconnecting and it will connect.  I got sick of it, so I decided to add in a D-link eithernet card.  I thought if I just had a different one in the machine then maybe things would be better.  Wrong!  I have the latest Ubuntu 18.04 Live running, It sees the two eithernet cards but and it can't seem to connect.  It gives me a message that says:  "Connectionfailed Activation of network connetion failed"  by the way they don't have inxi installed out of the box.  Since I have no internet connection I'll need to boot into my linux mint install in order to give you the following information.

System Specs:

Code: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Machine:   System: Dell product: Vostro 400
           Mobo: Dell model: 0GN723 v: ��� Bios: Dell v: 1.0.15 date: 06/23/2008
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo E4600 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 9575
           clock speeds: max: 2400 MHz 1: 1600 MHz 2: 1600 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 210] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce 210/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.107 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 NVIDIA High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
           Card-2 Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-128-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel 82562V-2 10/100 Network Connection driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: ff00 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: enp0s25 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: D-Link System DGE-530T Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev.C1) [Realtek RTL8169]
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: de00 bus-ID: 02:01.0
           IF: enp2s1 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 515.8GB (20.4% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD5000LPLX size: 500.1GB
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: Infinitive size: 15.7GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 455G used: 95G (22%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.29GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 40.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:52C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 205 Uptime: 1 min Memory: 526.1/3949.9MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35

For some reason my current Linux Mint 18.3 xfce install finds the new card just fine and works right away!

I'm curious now if Linux Mint 18.3 Live DVD can make use of the new card or not.

Linux Mint 18.3 Live Finds both networking cards but the connection fails.

Tried to disable LAN Controller in the Bios.

Tried bypassing the Asus router and went directly to ISP router.  No change.

I found this thread:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  I would really like the live versions of Linux to work with it.  Otherwise it is not a complete replacement.  Appears to have a Realtek driver thing.  That's probably my problem!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 03:18:48 PM by gregorylock »

Offline CwF

Re: Dell Eithernet connection problems
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 03:27:35 PM »
A few variables here! In the posted spec card-2 is up and working, is that in the live or the installed? You say disabling the motherboard port did not set card-2 to card-1 and then work fine? I would have expected that to work.? You could manually define things and get it going, but temporary for a live boot. The install is likely handling some renaming or alias's correctly that the live boot is not configured to figure out...and you find no message for needed firmwares?

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
Re: Re: Dell Eithernet connection problems
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 01:30:05 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
A few variables here! In the posted spec card-2 is up and working, is that in the live or the installed? You say disabling the motherboard port did not set card-2 to card-1 and then work fine? I would have expected that to work.? You could manually define things and get it going, but temporary for a live boot. The install is likely handling some renaming or alias's correctly that the live boot is not configured to figure out...and you find no message for needed firmwares?

I tried disabling the onboard Ethernet.  That didn't help.  The card would just keep trying and trying and trying to connect.  But it couldn't do it for some reason. (Under a live environment)

I took the card back to the store.  I bought another one that is a slightly different model.  I hope it works.  It seems too be.  The whole purpose of putting the card in the computer is to get rid of the headache that the old port was causing me.