Ubuntu Bionic Beavear With Unity 7
Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Ubuntu Bionic Beavear With Unity 7  (Read 355 times)

Offline DQSII

Ubuntu Bionic Beavear With Unity 7
« on: June 18, 2018, 10:24:30 PM »
So I got The Latest Lts Base working with the unity 7 Desktop :p

Offline Crimson

• Elite Member
  • PC PrimeApe
    • Syndicate Underground
Re: Ubuntu Bionic Beavear With Unity 7
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 01:50:05 AM »
Hahaha, nice! Did you do it for the LOLs or because you're against conforming?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline DQSII

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 03:40:43 AM »
I did it because i hate gnome 3 so i got a mini iso of 18.04 and installed unity 7 on the base install of the new lts

Post Merge: June 19, 2018, 03:49:09 AM
Hahaha, nice! Did you do it for the LOLs or because you're against conforming?

also unity 7 is community supported now :p
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 03:49:09 AM by DQSII »

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 08:50:20 AM »
yeah as much as i despised unity i hated gnome 3 more lol.
Linux is the world of computing were you make your own rules and decisions and not by some corporate aholes!!!!!

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 09:11:30 AM »
I've got to be honest, the layout and theming of GNOME 3 isn't bad, however it runs like a brick (not bashing, reporting actual metrics) from personal experience anytime I have used it. I get why they switched over to it though and am hoping that Canonical can make some changes to it for the better to make it a much more viable option. Still in the early phases though, so probably won't see much happen yet.

Offline farevildee

• Staff Member
Re: Re: Ubuntu Bionic Beavear With Unity 7
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 12:37:58 PM »
I've got to be honest, the layout and theming of GNOME 3 isn't bad, however it runs like a brick anytime I have used it. I get why they switched over to it though and am hoping that Canonical can make some changes to it for the better to make it a much more viable option. Still in the early phases though, so probably won't see much happen yet.
well the layout and themeing is nice but lets face it its a hog lol it idles at 1.5 megs modern machines have no issue with that .
Linux is the world of computing were you make your own rules and decisions and not by some corporate aholes!!!!!

Offline Crimson

• Elite Member
  • PC PrimeApe
    • Syndicate Underground
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 08:57:23 PM »
So conforming it is, LOL!!! I can agree on both sides, I still would prefer the Unity DE, but GNOME 3 is a close second and satisfies my needs well. Good job on getting that working! Do I smell a tutorial cooking?

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 10:51:07 AM »
For a minute there, after reading the title of this thread, I thought that the Ubuntu team was getting fickle with their desktop choices... good to know that the community is keeping Unity alive, so now it is an option for anyone who wants it... Gnome shell has had time to grow so it seems the logical choice for them to use it... 
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline farevildee

• Staff Member
Re: Re: Ubuntu Bionic Beavear With Unity 7
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 02:36:55 PM »
For a minute there, after reading the title of this thread, I thought that the Ubuntu team was getting fickle with their desktop choices... good to know that the community is keeping Unity alive, so now it is an option for anyone who wants it... Gnome shell has had time to grow so it seems the logical choice for them to use it...
Well i for craps and giggles have been running ubuntu on my main dell rig cause one it has hybrid graphics and ubuntu is setup OOTB for it but been running it with Gnome shell it seem the ubuntu team made it better in alot of ways lol.

Offline DQSII

Re: Re: Re: Ubuntu Bionic Beavear With Unity 7
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 05:23:12 AM »
Well i for craps and giggles have been running ubuntu on my main dell rig cause one it has hybrid graphics and ubuntu is setup OOTB for it but been running it with Gnome shell it seem the ubuntu team made it better in alot of ways lol.

I won't use Gnome Shell In Ubuntu i do however dual boot my Ubuntu Unity Setup With Arch and use Gnome Shell In Arch Linux

Offline farevildee

• Staff Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Ubuntu Bionic Beavear With Unity 7
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 05:18:35 PM »
I won't use Gnome Shell In Ubuntu i do however dual boot my Ubuntu Unity Setup With Arch and use Gnome Shell In Arch Linux
yea well like i said i have one of those freakin hybrid dells so lol. im stuck using ubuntu

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ubuntu Bionic Beavear With Unity 7
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 10:19:08 AM »
yea well like i said i have one of those freakin hybrid dells so lol. im stuck using ubuntu

Same here. Intel Graphics and AMD RX 560. Most other distros only detect the AMD card which is surprising because the Samsung Book 8 ultrabook I used to have, it would only pick up the Intel card. Either way, seems to be working fine. Definitely, not as power efficient outside of Ubuntu though.

Offline DQSII

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 03:53:53 PM »
Well i love that i get the best of both worlds i get my unity Desktop within ubuntu and a Rolling Release Distro With Gnome 3 I wouldn't change this setup anymore ive done my fair share of distro hopping in my day