Ran Into an issue with Xfburn
Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Ran Into an issue with Xfburn  (Read 241 times)

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
Ran Into an issue with Xfburn
« on: June 11, 2018, 10:51:45 AM »
Xfburn has been my favorite program for burning CDs and DVDs.  It was brought to my attention that Xfburn was giving someone some problems.  I didn't think much about it since Xfburn has always worked for me.  I wanted to make an audio cd out of some mp3s yesterday.  As you know I run Linux Mint 18.3 Xfce 64bit on an i5 16 gig of ram computer.   I drug the mp3s into the program like I've always done and this time I got an error message.  I tried a google search for the error message and I found other people getting the same error message.   According to a bug report I found Xfburn 0.5.4 has this issue, but it is fixed in 0.5.5.  It was suggested that you download 0.5.5 from github and compile it yourself.  Since I've never compiled any software I don't know what I'm doing with that.  Linux Mint 19 xfce beta comes with 0.5.5 already installed.

I've had so many computer issues this past week my head is spinning.  After I click post I'm going to go lay down.

Offline Vintalorian

• SIMPLE. ELEGANT. FAST. LINUX.
    • Vintalorian's Home
Re: Ran Into an issue with Xfburn
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 02:08:24 PM »
As there are so many tutorials online for how to compile applications, I won't provide them here. Trust me, you want someone other than me explaining it to you. ;D That being said, it's really not hard. It might look scary, but it's usually a very simple process that involves extracting the .tar.**** file, and then building it with a simple command. I would encourage you to at least give it a try. Issues with DVD and CD burning software is why I have abandoned the CD/DVD platform altogether. I don't think it's necessary in today's day and age unless you have CD/DVD players in your cars or something that can't use USB flash or some other form of flash storage (i.e. iPod, Zune, etc.).
Do the right thing. Use Linux.

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
Re: Re: Ran Into an issue with Xfburn
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 03:32:42 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
As there are so many tutorials online for how to compile applications, I won't provide them here. Trust me, you want someone other than me explaining it to you. ;D That being said, it's really not hard. It might look scary, but it's usually a very simple process that involves extracting the .tar.**** file, and then building it with a simple command. I would encourage you to at least give it a try. Issues with DVD and CD burning software is why I have abandoned the CD/DVD platform altogether. I don't think it's necessary in today's day and age unless you have CD/DVD players in your cars or something that can't use USB flash or some other form of flash storage (i.e. iPod, Zune, etc.).

I have  CD and DVD players, and I like to burn isos to dvds and label them.  All my distro install discs are on DVD still.   When I give things away to people I prefer CDs and DVDs because they are cheaper than flash drives.

I've been wondering if it's hardware issues, but since I have three different computers with similar OSes running basically the same software having the same issues, I think it's some kind of bug in the software.

Post Merge: June 11, 2018, 05:07:22 PM
Update
The linux mint gave me some suggestions.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 05:07:22 PM by gregorylock »

Offline Vintalorian

• SIMPLE. ELEGANT. FAST. LINUX.
    • Vintalorian's Home
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 08:24:18 AM »
I'm glad you found some info. Like I said, I'd love to help, but I avoid that CD/DVD burning software like the plague. It's kind of a crapshoot whether or not the software works on any given update release. It might be worth making a short post describing exactly what the issue was under the hood and what the solution was for people if they have the same issue.

Cheers
Do the right thing. Use Linux.

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 04:49:28 PM »
I'm glad you found some info. Like I said, I'd love to help, but I avoid that CD/DVD burning software like the plague. It's kind of a crapshoot whether or not the software works on any given update release. It might be worth making a short post describing exactly what the issue was under the hood and what the solution was for people if they have the same issue.

Cheers

I did a fresh install of Linux Mint 18.3 xfce and tested xfburn.  It works out of the box.  That means something I installed or update broke it.   I'm trying to figure out what broke it.  My guess is one of the DVD authoring programs broke it.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 07:59:06 AM »
So on your fresh install are you finding your DVD authoring software works as expected? One thing which comes to mind is that you can run most software using a terminal command. Sometimes when things fail, like disk burning, it could (not always) give an error, which in turn might aid you in finding a solution. In the case where you stated an update possibly prevents the software from functioning, you could find that running in a terminal could reveal a shared object file contains "unidentified symbols", "missing" or other miscellaneous errors. You can then search online for solutions to the error messages you see...
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 11:50:47 AM »
So on your fresh install are you finding your DVD authoring software works as expected? One thing which comes to mind is that you can run most software using a terminal command. Sometimes when things fail, like disk burning, it could (not always) give an error, which in turn might aid you in finding a solution. In the case where you stated an update possibly prevents the software from functioning, you could find that running in a terminal could reveal a shared object file contains "unidentified symbols", "missing" or other miscellaneous errors. You can then search online for solutions to the error messages you see...

I've been posting in the Linux Mint forums about this.  It sounds like they don't think it is being caused by the programs I've added or any of the updates.  It's a documented bug in Xfburn 0.5.4.  The bug makes you think it's a problem with gstreamer.  The odd thing about this bug is you can get it to work on some mp3 files but not all mp3 files.  I don't know what the difference is in the mp3s.  I know that it has nothing to do the title of files.  Xfburn 0.5.5 in all my tests works perfectly.  The problem is I don't know how to install Xfburn 0.5.5.  Compiling seems to be over my head, and even when I try to use an Xfburn deb file I run into some interesting issues.  I actually have one Dell computer, running Linux Mint 18.3 Xfce running Xfburn 0.5.5.  All I did was copy the new Xfburn file into /usr/bin/.  But my other Linux Mint 18.3 Xfce computer wont let me get by with doing that.  Also Linux lite 3.8 won't let me get by with doing that either.  I tried changing the owner and user group things like that and they still reject it.  Even the computer that did allow me to do it, for some reason, synaptic still thinks I have 0.5.4 installed LOL But you can clearly see when you open the program, click on help and says 0.5.5.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 10:58:07 AM »
Even the computer that did allow me to do it, for some reason, synaptic still thinks I have 0.5.4 installed LOL But you can clearly see when you open the program, click on help and says 0.5.5.
You are probably running the 054 version.... some residual file on your system could have been left behind and reporting the incorrect information to zenity which often draws graphical elements like ABOUT screens? Just taking a blind stab at this... anyone else have thoughts? 
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ