Creating Video DVDs on Linux Update
Welcome, Guest.
"When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson

Author Topic: Creating Video DVDs on Linux Update  (Read 1289 times)

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
Creating Video DVDs on Linux Update
« on: June 20, 2018, 06:55:24 PM »
User phd21 on the Linux Mint forums has been helping me.  He loves BombonoDVD and has proved to me that it works wonderfully for authoring Video DVDs.  But it's such a complicated program that even when we used teamviewer, so that He could show me first hand on how to use it. I still don't understand it.  Maybe if I do a lot of practicing I might...  He claims that one of the first things you need to make sure you do is install all the codecs.

Here you can watch his hour and half video tutorial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICLIVOJZeiE
Real Hardware: Linux Mint 20.1 XFCE, PCLinuxOS XFCE
VirtualBox:  ArchLabs

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Creating Video DVDs on Linux Update
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 07:43:28 AM »
BRAVO! Dig around... you might just find some tutorials for the software and kudos to the person who is helping you out! 
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
Re: Re: Creating Video DVDs on Linux Update
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 12:51:58 PM »
BRAVO! Dig around... you might just find some tutorials for the software and kudos to the person who is helping you out!

I decided that BombonoDVD is not the program for me.  I don't know how to say this:  But it's too complicated for me.  I have difficulty remembering all the different things I got to do.  Realistically If I only make a Video DVD once a year I probably won't even remember half the stuff.  And it doesn't seem to be a very forgiving program.  You either get it done right or the program crashes or worse.  I was trying to render something and it filled up my 16 gigs of ram and then spilled over into my swap partition and filled up another 16 gigs, and then it left me a frozen computer with the hard drive light locked on.  This is how I learned that I shouldn't press the reset button on my case.  But I felt that I had no choice because it locked everything up.

I'm going to try DVDStyler, and if that doesn't work for me then I'm never going to author a video DVD on Linux again.  I guess there is no shame in admitting that something is too hard for you.

Post Merge: June 24, 2018, 06:29:29 PM
I'm still trying to get BombonoDVD to work because I've worked with it the longest and it seems like I'm close to getting it working.  But the thing is a lot of people say it is 'easy'  Then what is wrong with me?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 06:29:29 PM by gregorylock »

Offline fchaos

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 10:25:06 PM »
I would suggest to take it like you would take any difficult subject...

break it down into smaller parts, learn those parts thoroughly. Then move on to the next.

Have patience. It always pays off in the end.

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 09:57:24 AM »
When it comes to these DVD authoring programs.  I think there should be two different kinds.  

I think we need more programs like DeVeDeNG or something that is similar to Windows DVD for Linux.  Which could be good programs for anyone who wants to get the job done quickly and doesn't care about personalizing every little thing.

We already have lots of programs that allows you to personalize everything.  The problem I see with these programs is they are more complex, which means several issues.  1) It will take you longer to learn the program.  2)  There is more things to go wrong.  Therefor there will be more testing and diagnosing involved.  Which means you will learn more things, perhaps.  Keep in mind not everything you learn is will be beneficial when they decide to put out a newer version.  

I'm not going to say that one is better then the other.  It all depends on what you want  your end product to be.  Personally I just wanted to get the job done, and I don't care about personalizing every little thing.  (If DeVeDeNG wasn't giving me issues the job would of been done.)  On the other hand if my dad cared about personalizing it then I would care too.  But my father isn't like that, He's the kind of person who likes efficiency.  That's why I think a minimalistic program would be a better fit for us.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 10:14:37 AM by gregorylock »