Linux apps in chromebook
Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Linux apps in chromebook  (Read 147 times)

Offline aDewil

• Elite Member
Linux apps in chromebook
« on: June 06, 2018, 07:47:20 AM »
i found this one from web there chance get linux apps working in chromebook:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

i put this topic now for linux news sectio, but not really sure if it should be software, hardware or android & Mobile or maybe is belongs all of them, but is not wise make multiple those areas.
chromebook is bit proplematic hardware to put specific area in here.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Linux apps in chromebook
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 11:26:27 AM »
It is my understanding that the Chrome OS is based on Gentoo and locked out to a degree so it is not surprising to find out that there are ways to get around those speed bumps so you can install some FOSS software. According to what I have read in the link you supplied, it is not quite 100% but at least it is a start.
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
Re: Linux apps in chromebook
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 03:51:15 PM »
In addition, Google is starting to allow use of Android apps on select Chromebooks. Probably will look at expanding it to all Chromebooks in the long-haul. Can see this being a very highly used feature.

As Chrome OS is based on a very restricted Linux kernel (as Spatry stated), it would make sense that there would be a way to install FOSS software on there. Hopefully, as time passes this will be easier and more streamlined to do and it doesn't turn into a game of Google trying to control, patch, and limit Chrome OS.