[SOLVED] update notifications
Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: [SOLVED] update notifications  (Read 253 times)

Offline fraterchaos

• Mandelbrot Metal Mayhem!
  • Staff Member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity
« on: May 28, 2018, 03:22:08 PM »
Not sure if anyone else might have experienced this, but thought I would mention it just in case...

Over at least the past month (or more) I have no received any notifications about Manjaro updates. The pamac icon has not shown any need to do any updates, nor did I receive any on screen notices (like I always had in the past)

Today, just to be safe, I decided to try doing updates manually, just in case... and sure enough, I had a huge list of packages that needed to be updated (across the board)

So, just wanted to mention, that if you are feeling that it has been a long time since you last got a notification about updates, you might be wise to check it manually, as it is possible the update notifications aren't working as they should.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 11:25:10 AM by Spatry »
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: update notifications
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 01:12:47 AM »
yes it is always a good idea to check.... I have not run into that issue recently but it has happened before.
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline fraterchaos

• Staff Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 08:48:48 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
yes it is always a good idea to check.... I have not run into that issue recently but it has happened before.

well, it could be an issue with the fact that I have three AUR packages that need updated but can't be because the keys are wrong... I've tried every possible answer to fixing the keys and it always reports that some of the keys simply won't download or are not available, or are "missing"

Since those three packages are not essential to anything (two for a game that runs fine anyway, and another that I'm not sure what it's for) I have just been ignoring the problem. Once in a while I check to see if the key issue has been fixed, but it seems like nobody is even working on it.

But I wonder if those three packages needing updated are not messing up some settings in my updates so I don't get any notices about packages from the normal repos... can't think of any other reason it would not be notifying me.
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 07:24:15 AM »
Ummm I do not think the AUR packages will have anything to do with it because they are UNOFFICIAL. You do not need pamac to install AUR packages. You could go to the AUR site, download the snapshot of the aur package.... extract it and then use
Code: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
makepkgto compile a binary for your system and an installer tar.xz package.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login thread covers updates, keyrings and other things =D

Pardon me if I am off the mark, I just woke up and caffeine has not kicked in yet!
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline fraterchaos

• Staff Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 09:27:32 PM »
Ummm I do not think the AUR packages will have anything to do with it because they are UNOFFICIAL. You do not need pamac to install AUR packages. You could go to the AUR site, download the snapshot of the aur package.... extract it and then use
makepkg
to compile a binary for your system and an installer tar.xz package.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login thread covers updates, keyrings and other things =D

Pardon me if I am off the mark, I just woke up and caffeine has not kicked in yet!

well, I have not checked your link yet, but I'm pretty sure that I've probably already tried everything it says there about fixing keyrings and such... because I went through a number of threads here and tried everything.

And yeah, I know I don't need pamac to do AUR updates or installs, but that doesn't stop pamac from notifying me when there are AUR updates... that's what I was getting at... it's been telling me that I have three packages that need updated that are AUR for months now, but I can't update them (due to the keyring issue) (here is an old post about the keyring issue when it first appeared: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ) but since the packages aren't really causing me any trouble using the machine, I've just been ignoring it...

But it's also the only thing I can think of that would make it notify me of the AUR updates and NOT the normal repo updates... that somehow the AUR updates are glitching the notifier...

Or maybe it's something else. I just know that it always tells me, sometime three of four times a day, that I have three updates that are the AUR updates, but it never tells me about regular ones, even if I open pamac and it checks for updates... I have to do it from the terminal for it to find the updates...

It's not a big deal, except that I have to remember to check it from time to time...

Offline Hipster Doofus

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 02:38:49 AM »
I've had similar issues with manjaro not notifying of updates. Running # pacman -Syyu seems to get it working again. Did for me anyway.

Offline fraterchaos

• Staff Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 10:04:26 PM »
I've had similar issues with manjaro not notifying of updates. Running # pacman -Syyu seems to get it working again. Did for me anyway.

Yeah, that's what I did... I just have to remember to keep doing it like once a week or so

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 07:29:35 AM »
I have said this before and I will say it again.... Pamac (the GUI updater and software center) is not always 100% reliable where running updates are concerned so I am in agreement with 
sudo pacman -Syyubeing the most effective way to update the system. Now, I will allow Pamac to update a single package and other times I will allow it to update an AUR item but usually when it is a full system update, the terminal is your friend.

Offline fraterchaos

• Staff Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 10:22:16 PM »
I have said this before and I will say it again.... Pamac (the GUI updater and software center) is not always 100% reliable where running updates are concerned so I am in agreement with
sudo pacman -Syyu
being the most effective way to update the system. Now, I will allow Pamac to update a single package and other times I will allow it to update an AUR item but usually when it is a full system update, the terminal is your friend.

yes, I usually use the terminal too, but it's not the terminal that does the notifications... it's the pamac icon or plug-in

not that it matters now, as it seems to have been corrected in the last update, as I received a notification today!

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: [SOLVED] update notifications
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 11:26:55 AM »
Thread marked SOLVED.... reminder to staff, we should remember to do this  ;D

One hand washes the other.... you have a notifier which will remind you to open a terminal and run the update... both pacman and pamac drink from the same pond for updates...

Offline fraterchaos

• Staff Member
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2018, 05:51:24 PM »
Thread marked SOLVED.... reminder to staff, we should remember to do this  ;D

One hand washes the other.... you have a notifier which will remind you to open a terminal and run the update... both pacman and pamac drink from the same pond for updates...

Apologies for forgetting to marked it solved... don't know what I was thinking