Hello from Alberta, Canada
Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Hello from Alberta, Canada  (Read 266 times)

Offline D-Dawg70

Hello from Alberta, Canada
« on: May 15, 2018, 12:55:28 PM »
Hi I am from Ontario,Canada but currently living in Alberta. Have been a windows power user for many years made the switch to linux more than 2 years ago.
I am currently using Mint 18/3 XFCE and have tried many different Distro's and starting to think about trying Manjaro as a new daily driver. Spatry is the bomb I have been watching his videos for a few years now and would like to thank him for all the entertaining and helpful videos. ;D ;D

Offline joejohnston3

• Spatry BROKE it... I'm Telling!
  • Staff Member
Re: Hello from Alberta, Canada
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 12:59:09 PM »
Welcome to the community, D-Dawg70! Manjaro is a great distro and you will get lots of tips here. I am presently using Solus and love it so it may be another option for you as well. 
Joe Johnston
Solus MATE

Offline D-Dawg70

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 05:06:54 PM »
Thx joejohnson3 yea i tried solus but was hard for me to connect to the server way to slow it would have taken days to update so i tried Antergos which was ok but i think Manjaro might be up my ally. i actually downloaded the cup of linux version and i do realize its a couple years old but might try it on some older hardware and see if it breaks when i update it i'm sure compiz will lol.
Thought Spatry's set up was really cool wanted to try it and experiment with it pretty sure i will break it lol. My first time being o part of a community like this and first forum too i usually try to battle through stuff on my own lol but thx again for the welcome really appreciate it  ;D

Offline fraterchaos

• Mandelbrot Metal Mayhem!
  • Staff Member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 09:42:15 PM »
You would be far better off to install the latest Manjaro ISO, then add Compiz-Reloaded (Sparty has videos and also a tutorial here that details exactly how to do it)

Then you can download Spatry's desktops tweaks (I think, at least he used to have a special repo for them... still think it's possible) and add those if you want the exact same look)

Trying to install a very old respin like the ones of CoL will almost surely break when updating, and leave you with a frozen machine... whereas installing the latest and adding the tweaks isn't really all that difficult, and is a good intro to using this distro.

And we have a whole sub board just for Manjaro, where lots of people can help you out if you get stuck!
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline D-Dawg70

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 11:09:33 PM »
Thanks fraterchaos yea i think that's a much better idea and will take that route for sure. I have a bad habit of breaking my pc on purpose just to give me something to fix lol. Have been doing Pc repair for some time so always mucking around with everything but no expert by any means and still relatively new to Linux and love learning new things. :)  

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 11:21:26 PM »
Welcome to the Cup of Linux forums D-Dawg70, glad to have you with us! :)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline D-Dawg70

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 11:36:30 PM »
Thx Kalthrix I am feeling overwhelmed with all the great welcomes i think i found a great community to be a part of. :D   

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 05:15:14 AM »
hello and welcome to the cup of linux pop a squat and have a looksie.
Linux is the world of computing were you make your own rules and decisions and not by some corporate aholes!!!!!

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 02:15:59 PM »
Welcome to the community! Have a LQQK around.. there is a lot to see =D
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline D-Dawg70

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 03:19:37 PM »
Thanks Spatry i sure will, looks there's a lot of knowledge here to be had. Just want you to know how much i appreciate all your efforts and your videos you inspired me a great deal.Keep up the great work I know you help a lot of people get over that nervous hump coming from that other wacky operating system lol :D