Spatry's FUNNY Gentoo Install
Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Spatry's FUNNY Gentoo Install  (Read 10299 times)

Offline computerkid9

• I do not obey RULES!
Re: Spatry's FUNNY Gentoo Install
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2014, 06:06:22 PM »
I think Dinah Rhea is one of Spatry's Halloween characters
Mario Uribe,
Member of Cup of Linux and the Linux Distro Community
A Current user of Manjaro 0.8.9

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Re: Spatry's FUNNY Gentoo Install
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2014, 06:06:40 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Coming to think of it... I have met someone called Ann Droid... AND met someone called Dinah Rhea...
Ann Droid was in a Doctor Who episode if memory serves!
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline Dirty Helga

• Malevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Do you feel LUCKY today?
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2014, 08:23:37 PM »
Spatry: You ARE THE WEAKEST LINK! ..... GOODBYE!
If you BREAK the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, I WILL SHOOT YOU!

Offline poodle448

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2014, 11:01:40 PM »
Woo! Look at Spatry rocking the bow tie!! You aught to wear them more often, spat :)
Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive.

-Dalai Lama

Offline InactiveUser

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2014, 12:47:11 AM »
I remember this.... I was like.... O_O "Uhhhhh..... What just happened? This is freaky."

XD

Offline Will

• Spatry's Tardis Operator
  • Contributor
  • Windows? MAXIMUM EXTERMINATION!
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2014, 07:36:43 AM »
Woo! Look at Spatry rocking the bow tie!! You aught to wear them more often, spat :)

On the subject of Doctor Who:

Quote from: TheDoctor
Bow ties are cool.

Fezzes are cool.

I wear a Stezen now, Stezens are cool.

Quote from: Clara
How did you get "TheDoctor" in the quotes?

KIDNEYS! I got new kidneys. Don't like the colour.

and quotes dont get me past the limits... darn it. Lol!

Offline Brian

• Spatry's Troll HAMMER
  • Staff Member
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2014, 11:49:31 AM »
Thanks for this one. I now know that I must stay FAR FAR away from Gentoo! Unless anyone knows of a Gentoo-based distro that has a graphical installer.
"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"People sleep peacably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Offline OmegaSW

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2014, 12:26:22 PM »
Thanks for this one. I now know that I must stay FAR FAR away from Gentoo! Unless anyone knows of a Gentoo-based distro that has a graphical installer.

Sabayon and Calculate are the two spawns with easy installers:

• Sabayon is the easier of the two, but it's not the full Gentoo experience since you don't get to set cflags and use flags due to it using entropy(binary based) instead of portage(source based) as their main package manager. You CAN use portage to compile something from source, but recompiling everything from portage will most likely break your system and not sync well with their main package manager. Entropy also has the weakness in that it doesn't have Orphan management like apt-get autoremove or pacman -Rs $(pacman -Qqdt) equivalent. Under portage, it's emerge --depclean, but you should not use this in Sabayon.

• While Calculate uses portage completely and gives you the option to recompile everything with your use flags, so it's more of a true Gentoo experience, but it's not as polished as Sabayon in terms graphical tools for newbies to manage your system.

Why Gentoo? Every software installed on a binary distro typically has everything turned on. On a source based distro you can turn on only what your CPU supports thus removing overhead from you computer.
Setup: Netrunner Rolling

Offline lcRONOS

• I will run all the Operating Systems!
  • Staff Member
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2014, 01:12:03 PM »
Sabayon isn't bad, I'm not a big fan of it though as it did seem to have some issues with package managment. About as bad as not having dependency support (I won't touch Slackware again after having learned that pain) in many ways. I'd love to play with straight up Gentoo, I just can't figure out how to get WiFi on it yet.
HP Pavilion 15t-p000, UEFI quad boot Gentoo Linux, macOS 10.12, FreeBSD 11, and Windows 10; Dell Inspiron 660, UEFI triple boot FreeBSD 10.3, OpenSuSe LEAP 42.1, and Windows 10

Offline linuxguy7123

• Banned: Rule Breaker
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2014, 01:51:17 PM »
Wow this video was funny. I bet Spatry had a great time installing Gentoo.

Offline OmegaSW

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2014, 02:50:13 AM »
Sabayon isn't bad, I'm not a big fan of it though as it did seem to have some issues with package managment. About as bad as not having dependency support (I won't touch Slackware again after having learned that pain) in many ways. I'd love to play with straight up Gentoo, I just can't figure out how to get WiFi on it yet.

Use the Systemrescuecd method:

I followed these instructions, and it's much better to install Gentoo in this way if you have wifi.

Sabayon does have dependency checking support, it's the removal of stuff that you no longer need is what is missing. Entropy doesn't have an equivalent to emerge --depclean.
Setup: Netrunner Rolling

Offline Ben

• Resident WIZARD
  • Staff Member
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2014, 11:39:35 PM »
So I thought this would be a good thread to post my rant about the experience I just had with Gentoo.  I decided to use the proprietary NVIDIA driver, to participate in the community gaming night JayVii set up...  Well, I decided to give Gentoo a run again.  I hate systemd, and like FreeBSD's RC, plus the ports system.  Gentoo should be a natural fit, right?  NO!  I got my base system installed, started KDE compiling when I left for work.  2 hours after getting home, it finished.  Great!  Now, time to see how Alien Arena runs, right?  NO!  It would not compile.  I tried tweaking my USE flags, playing with my make.conf, to no avail.  I'm sure it would have built, but I'd wasted 2 hours already, and I was tired.  Had this been Slackware or FreeBSD, no problem, just go get a binary and be done with it.  Except there aren't any.  And this is why I'm done with Gentoo, and have a newfound respect for that video. >_<  So my stance on distros from here on out is this: No binaries, no thanks! 

Offline lcRONOS

• Staff Member
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2014, 10:57:43 AM »
To each his own lol, I like Gentoo myself. Very fast, and customizable. Portage can be a bit of a pain, but it's well documented enough that issues can be worked around.  Generally just unmasking a newer version can work, or a close look at the errors will show you the issue.  If you look at the issue I had when merging OpenRA (on this forum) sometimes it's something as small as one package being moved to a different folder than another package expects (nothing ln -s can't solve lol).
HP Pavilion 15t-p000, UEFI quad boot Gentoo Linux, macOS 10.12, FreeBSD 11, and Windows 10; Dell Inspiron 660, UEFI triple boot FreeBSD 10.3, OpenSuSe LEAP 42.1, and Windows 10

Offline Kueller

• Spatry's Security Guard
  • Staff Member
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2014, 11:23:32 AM »
This this thread is Gentoo related and also humorous, I'll just leave this here for anyone who wants to read.

Offline lcRONOS

• Staff Member
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2014, 11:32:39 PM »
So for some irony, I got a new laptop. Went to reinstall Gentoo, should be easy right? I mean I've done it once, a second time isn't so bad right? WRONG!!!! I go to get it up, it installs fine, but I then learned that both my Ethernet and wireless devices are among the few that you can't build support for in the kernel. And drivers? Forget it, they don't want to work with me... Oh well, I'm sure it'll work eventually, so you know. As it is I'm learning more about how the modules and everything else so trade offs right? I learned quite a bit about UEFI booting too.