Slackware 14.2 newbie-issues
Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Slackware 14.2 newbie-issues  (Read 2411 times)

Offline cLOWNgOD

Slackware 14.2 newbie-issues
« on: July 28, 2016, 07:16:47 PM »
Ok,
I'm a newbie moving from Windows (aka right click -> done) to Slackware 14.2. I can't for the life of me even change desktop themes (say standard KDE to Oxygen), let alone move from KDE to Kfce?
Getting my wireless working (tried modifying the 'rc.inet1.conf' file, rebooting, etc. -Connects for a second and then disassociates). Reading docs but you know how that goes. 

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
Re: Slackware 14.2 newbie-issues
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 06:22:44 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ok,
I'm a newbie moving from Windows (aka right click -> done) to Slackware 14.2. I can't for the life of me even change desktop themes (say standard KDE to Oxygen), let alone move from KDE to Kfce?
Getting my wireless working (tried modifying the 'rc.inet1.conf' file, rebooting, etc. -Connects for a second and then disassociates). Reading docs but you know how that goes.

cLOWNgOD, you might want to open this up in a separate thread under the Other Distributions or General Discussion forum. Not sure if it is going to get noticed by the right people here as this is a sticky detailing a community site/blog for CatchLinux.com. I don't use Slackware, so I wouldn't be of much assistance. I wish you the best of luck getting this issue resolved though.

Offline JayVii

• Staff Member
    • JayVii's Page
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 06:49:22 AM »
I split the issue and moved it into the appropriate section. Thanks for suggesting/reporting this, Kalthrix

cLOWNgOD, would you please elaborate on your issues?

Offline BashMeForUsingZsh

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 05:08:33 PM »
I'm not trying to be rude, but Slackware never has been or will be for beginners. It is a conservative and traditional os that is for experts. Its up there with the likes of Arch, Gentoo, and Crux. You would be so much better off using something like Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, or Manjaro.

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
Re: Re: Slackware 14.2 newbie-issues
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 03:16:18 AM »
I'm not trying to be rude, but Slackware never has been or will be for beginners. It is a conservative and traditional os that is for experts. Its up there with the likes of Arch, Gentoo, and Crux. You would be so much better off using something like Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, or Manjaro.
I agree with you BashMeForUsingZsh.

While I don't claim to be an expert, I have previously tried Slackware and to be honest it is a bit more hassle than it is worth. If I wanted to sit and constantly troubleshoot my system for failed/broken updates, hardware glitches, or having to go through some really super complicated method to change theming, then no thanks. I feel the same about Gentoo. I'm not going to bash people for using it, but it is not for me. It is not a lack of knowledge that is keeping me from using it, but the willingness to sit there and constantly work on the distro. Used to like that kind of thing, not so much anymore. I at least can get Arch to work in the way that I would like, but the other two... I don't even.

Think it is great that there are newcomers trying to learn to use Slackware, but would never recommend it for anyone who is new with Linux unless you really like ready and researching manuals or fixes for bugs or other defects.

Offline BashMeForUsingZsh

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 02:33:46 PM »
I agree with you BashMeForUsingZsh.

While I don't claim to be an expert, I have previously tried Slackware and to be honest it is a bit more hassle than it is worth. If I wanted to sit and constantly troubleshoot my system for failed/broken updates, hardware glitches, or having to go through some really super complicated method to change theming, then no thanks. I feel the same about Gentoo. I'm not going to bash people for using it, but it is not for me. It is not a lack of knowledge that is keeping me from using it, but the willingness to sit there and constantly work on the distro. Used to like that kind of thing, not so much anymore. I at least can get Arch to work in the way that I would like, but the other two... I don't even.

Think it is great that there are newcomers trying to learn to use Slackware, but would never recommend it for anyone who is new with Linux unless you really like ready and researching manuals or fixes for bugs or other defects.
Yeah, I love Slackware, but I agree that it can sometimes be quite a bit of work. There is no dependency handling and when you want to install something, you need to get the slackbuilds for not only the package you want, but for all the dependencies as well. If there isn't a slackbuild for an application that you want, you then must write one yourself. I don't think that its all that hard, but a newbie and even an intermediate to advanced user might get stuck with that.

Offline l0k1ky3

• Chat.A.Long
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 12:29:39 AM »
I am on SlackWare 14.2 and yea its the best its ever been out of the box but still will never be a newbie friendly distro. For example I am installing mumble as we speak and guess what the SlackBuild dose not work I have no clue what wrong with it (" All the Depends are installed")so I am compiling it my self.
"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. " Albert Camus

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 04:24:13 PM »
Yep... Slackware can be a little tricky.. though you may have installed the dependencies of Mumble, did you check to make sure those dependencies don't require something extra? To get the most out of Slackware, you really need to be "in the know" where dependencies are concerned. I admit that I would have trouble running Slackware as a daily driver myself...
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline darry1966

• AnitaOS project page
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2016, 06:49:42 AM »
There is always Salix - used it myself it was pretty easy to use.
Developer of AnitaOS a retro computer distro.

Offline pip5528

• Supporter!
  • Contributor
  • Technology nerd, audiophile, musician
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2018, 03:47:40 PM »
Slackware can be made easier with sbotools and other fantastic packages that automate a lot of the process. If I remember correctly, back in 2015 JayVii used Slackware with Awesome, or maybe it was somebody else.
pip5528

Offline lcRONOS

• I will run all the Operating Systems!
  • Staff Member
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 11:21:12 AM »
Whatever happened to Will? I remember he used to use Slackware. Gentoo was my daily driver for over a year but Slackware is where I draw the line for now lol. It claims to be "Linux for Slackers" but then makes you get all the dependencies. What about that sounds like something a slacker would love? lol
Laptop: HP Pavilion 15t, quadboot Obarun Linux, macOS 10.13, TrueOS, Windows 10
Desktop: Dell Inspiron 660, dualboot Artix Linux,Windows 1

Offline pip5528

• Supporter!
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 01:29:11 AM »
It's easy to install and use, but manual dependencies could get annoying for some. Gentoo is more complex to install and, to some extent, use, but it doesn't seem too hard to me now that I have done research and watched tutorials, plus my existing Linux experience.
pip5528

Offline DQSII

Re: Re: Slackware 14.2 newbie-issues
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2018, 02:41:05 PM »

I Agree with u also BashMeForUsingZsh I used pure arch for at least a year before i jumped into gentoo as my distro of choice 

Offline pip5528

• Supporter!
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2018, 10:52:22 PM »
I have recently started using Slackware myself and I am enjoying it. I am also going to put Gentoo on a different machine.
pip5528