Solus Budgie 3 killed my DVD?
Welcome, Guest.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Click the CHAT button above for connection details. Show up early, seating is limited, late entries will not be registered.
Make sure you show up for game night! We have prize giveaways just for being there! Anyone can win!

Author Topic: Solus Budgie 3 killed my DVD?  (Read 728 times)

Offline Coastie

Solus Budgie 3 killed my DVD?
« on: February 02, 2018, 01:06:24 PM »
I was trying to"road test" Solus Budgie 3 on a live DVD. I wrote the iso to a DVD using Xfburn. My test computer and main computer will not boot from the DVD so I tried to blank the DVD. Sometimes the Xfburn would not recognize the DVD. Sometimes it would recognize the DVD and said it was a blank DVD. When Xfburn would let me try to blank or format the DVD, it fails and gives this message: "Failure: Asynchronous SCSI error : [3 51 00] Medium error. Erase failure."

The test computer and my main computer have different Linux Distros and both do as described above. My iMac PPC just ejects the DVD even though it normally recolonizes DVD with Linux and will format or blank them. I installed k3b burner on the test computer and it doesn't recognize the DVD either. When one of the Linux computer's file manager (Thunar) recognized it showed it has Solus on it.

Has Solus killed my DVD or is there a fix for it?  :-\
Left Mac OS X for Linux in Jan 2014.

Offline fraterchaos

• Mandelbrot Metal Mayhem!
  • Staff Member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 03:41:59 PM »
I'm not at all familiar with Solus, but I have seen something similar with Manjaro.

Some releases will refuse to install from a DVD, no matter what you use to write it, while others will refuse to install from a USB and you end up having to use a DVD...

I will say it doesn't sound like you have any problems with your DVD drive, just that one DVD itself, which, yes, it might be useless now. If you are getting it to read in one version of Linux, I'd try blanking it in that version or distro... that might allow you to rescue that disc for later use.

If you're dead set on trying Solus, maybe try installing from a USB instead?
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline Coastie

Re: Solus Budgie 3 killed my DVD?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 10:39:06 PM »
I also was recommended to try Brasero but it did not work either but I like Brasero. I may just trash the DVD. I had a problem with Solus before trying to install from a DVD and got it to install from a USB. It did not hurt the DVD then. The burner programs programs did not recognize the DVD but tried unsuccessfully to blank it.

I have seen reviews problems installing Solus. I am very interested in the development of Solus but it or I am not ready for the problems. I'll just watch You Tube reviews of Solus. 

Offline fraterchaos

• Mandelbrot Metal Mayhem!
  • Staff Member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 09:23:27 PM »
yeah, sometimes you just gotta toss a DVD or CD that burned wrong... sucks, but at least they aren't THAT expensive anymore
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline Coastie

[SOLVED] Re: Solus Budgie 3 killed my DVD?
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 12:17:40 AM »
Had same problem with another distro. I guess I just wore out the DVD RW disks. :-[
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 06:39:21 PM by Coastie »