Vivaldi Revisited
Welcome, Guest.
The Chatroom is BACK! --Spatry

Author Topic: Vivaldi Revisited  (Read 620 times)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Vivaldi Revisited
« on: April 20, 2018, 07:33:15 PM »
About 2 years ago I was asked to take the Vivaldi challenge. While I liked what it had to offer, there were a few little things which made me stick with the Mozilla based browsers. Now I do not know if it is JUST ME, or if others have experienced it.... but the performance of Firefox type browsers seems to be getting WORSE! I decided to look at a some alternative browsers and my choices were Chromium, Opera and Vivaldi.

All use the webkit engine which gives Chrome it's speed. Now for some reason, the Chromium which ships with Manjaro is OK but it takes the longest to load even when there are no plugins... Opera is beautiful and brings lots of nice features to the table such as VPN and built-in adblocking. My only complaint with that is their selection of addons from their stripped down plugin store is lackluster at best...

I decided to reinstall Vivaldi, and this time around, I am pleasantly pleased with it's performance. Customization features I wanted in the past are now in there. I have eclectic taste so I am not going to go over all of them... suffice it to say, Vivaldi has turned into a well polished browsing machine. I like it's theme support and I love how the settings panels have changed. You can even go to vivaldi://flags and enable some experiments if you wish... I had to do that so that I could import some settings from my old browser which did not want to cooperate...

Download manager: I decided to build the Xtreme download manager from the AUR as a replacement to the Firefox "downloadthemall" and suffice it to say, I am pleasantly surprised with how it integrates with Vivaldi! Upon first launch it gave me the option to go to the extension store to download the communication plugin... WOW! it is fast and efficient!

Firefox has severe memory leaks... With all of my plugins and a few resource hungry pages opened in tabs, it appears Vivaldi is using less than 600 megs of ram where firefox would be using over 2 gigs or ram and only have 2 or 3 pages open! Web browsing has become enjoyable again.... I have a fast internet connection but because of a bloated firefox, I could not enjoy the web... So nice to see a browser which is fast and fully tailored to my needs.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline c64ever

• Contributor
  • READY.
Re: Vivaldi Revisited
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 06:06:07 AM »
FYI you can use most Chrome add-ons in Opera with this extension:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Re: Vivaldi Revisited
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 07:10:09 AM »
FYI you can use most Chrome add-ons in Opera with this extension:

How do you move or completely hide the opera menu button? If you hide the sidebar it turns into a button. On Vivaldi that menu button can be moved. There were a few other little problems...The biggest issue was it would not import a CSV file which had some of my logins... after activating the flags. So, between the two Vivaldi won over Opera but I may consider looking at it again down the road.

I made an interesting discovery last night: Vivaldi lets you hibernate tabs. That is a really interesting feature because it helps to save resources. The tab state is saved but it is unloaded until needed. Probably the best thing since sliced bread?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 08:06:40 AM by Spatry »

Offline Detroit_Bad_Boy

• If at first you don't succeed - sudo
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 03:22:02 PM »
I went to the google onliine store to get extensions. It does not work anymore. You are not given and 'add to opera' button
"I'm sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that" - (HAL 9000) 2001: A Space Odyssey

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 06:07:00 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up, Detroit... Opera has some good ideas but I happen to like Vivaldi better. You can get all of the features Opera is touting through the use of extensions. I always thought Opera especially had the edge in terms of mobile browsers. As time progresses, I will eventually give Opera another look.