The Truth About Apple's Engineering - Louis Rossmann
Welcome, Guest.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Click the CHAT button above for connection details. Show up early, seating is limited, late entries will not be registered.
Make sure you show up for game night! We have prize giveaways just for being there! Anyone can win!

Author Topic: The Truth About Apple's Engineering - Louis Rossmann  (Read 432 times)

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • PC PrimeApe
    • Syndicate Underground
The Truth About Apple's Engineering - Louis Rossmann
« on: April 25, 2018, 11:39:30 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

As a computer technician and PC/Mac refurbisher, I feel the EXACT same way about everything Louis says in that video. I absolutely hate it when I have to tell a customer that their $3000 Mac is toast because the company they blindly trust screws them over.

This can EASILY turn into a rant for me, and it already has once (I had to re write this). I will never own an Apple product because I've seen first hand several times that they have a sub standard quality control in engineering and marketing tactics.

To sum, if it came down to ether Windows or Mac, I'd side with Windows hands down. Get yourself a good business line laptop from HP, Dell, or Lenovo and you will save $1000's of dollars on equally capable hardware, built to better standards, and will last for YEARS as long as you take care of it.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: The Truth About Apple's Engineering - Louis Rossmann
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 07:24:21 AM »
I have never owned Apple products. I was once given an IMac many years ago and it had flaws. It is a shame that many of the goods we buy today are not built to last. This article certainly does not surprise me.
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 12:21:05 PM »
It's sad the direction they are going. I had a 2008 Macbook Pro Titanium model  (similar to the first one shown in this video) that was shipped with Leopard at the time and it ran surprisingly well, however that was the time when there wasn't a lot of software available for Mac. Due to the lack of options, I ended up selling it and bought a HP laptop which I used for the next couple of years. I ended upgrading (or maybe downgrading lol) in the end to a 2011 Macbook Pro which I held onto for a few years; guess I was one of the lucky ones that didn't have the splitting case issue or other failures.

After, I've been strictly on PCs due to the sheer cost of these laptops. I don't think I've ever paid over $500-$600 for a perfectly good laptop and over $300-$400 for a good working desktop that have lasted me 5+ years. Also, major selling point to me is ease of access to the hardware so that if something fails it is not only...

1. Able to be replaced
2. Able to be replaced cheaply vs having to send it back to the manufacturer.

After seeing this video and that Apple is still managing to include chips known to fail for over 5 years, I'm now pretty much never likely to buy another one of their desktops/laptops again. Already owned one of the iPhone 6's that failed with the iOS 10 update when Apple decided to nuke my battery via update so that I would have to take it in to get it replaced, of course at a huge cost. I took, destroyed the phone to prevent anyone else being able to use it or get my data (wouldn't boot anyway), and pretty much vowed from that point to not buy any more of their line of phones. I don't have an infinite amount of money to waste on repairs and or buying a new phone ($1,000) or laptop ($1,000-$3,000) every couple of years. Actually, don't know of anyone that has that kind of money to throw out.

Now, I'm not saying that Android phones last forever, they don't. Planned obsolescence is still very much a problem. However, at least the phones last a lot longer than their Apple counterparts. Benefit is that not one company controls the quality of hardware put into them so will vary. At least there is choice vs having to get it from just the one company known for putting bad hardware in their refurbs or sabotaging the motherboard itself to force customers to go buy another after a very short time-frame after supposedly having their laptop fixed. :(

Even though some might disagree, the one thing that think was done well was their OS (even if it is kind of limited in terms of customization). It's simple, fast, and to the point which is something that I can personally appreciate. One of the things I also like about Elementary OS over on the Linux side. It's just too bad that they are ruining themselves by continuing to release defective/short-lived products. It may be the very thing that costs them dearly to the point where they "re-think" their poor design choices or go out of business. Only time will tell.

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • PC PrimeApe
    • Syndicate Underground
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 08:05:46 PM »
@ Kalthrix: It's a joke ain't it? The real kicker is the people who do have the money to blow and blindly continue to support these jerkwads. I don't mean to sound condescending and am certainly not referring to ALL Apple fanatics, but the vast majority of Apple supports are so full of themselves that they refuse to accept truth and facts and are VERY quick to point the finger at other companies, my coworker being one of these fan boys. Whatever, I'm getting angrier the more I think about this and I've already had a bad day to say the least.

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 04:03:50 PM »
i love watching his videos i get a chuckle out of most of em he did say in one of hs videos he does run linux on several of his own personal computers lol.
Linux is the world of computing were you make your own rules and decisions and not by some corporate aholes!!!!!