Fedora 27 on MacBook Pro 2015
Welcome, Guest.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Click the CHAT button above for connection details. Show up early, seating is limited, late entries will not be registered.
Make sure you show up for game night! We have prize giveaways just for being there! Anyone can win!

Author Topic: Fedora 27 on MacBook Pro 2015  (Read 295 times)

Offline Vintalorian

• SIMPLE. ELEGANT. FAST. LINUX.
    • Vintalorian's Home
Fedora 27 on MacBook Pro 2015
« on: April 15, 2018, 02:13:03 PM »
Let me tell you folks, this is like a dream. I kept reading that MacBooks can make the best Linux laptops, but I never really bought it until now. It is FAST and it is SMOOTH. I realize that I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but if you don't absolutely need MacOS, just use Linux!
Do the right thing. Use Linux.

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
Re: Fedora 27 on MacBook Pro 2015
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 03:06:04 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Let me tell you folks, this is like a dream. I kept reading that MacBooks can make the best Linux laptops, but I never really bought it until now. It is FAST and it is SMOOTH. I realize that I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but if you don't absolutely need MacOS, just use Linux!

I agree. I had a MacBook Pro back in 2011 and remember it running Ubuntu actually fairly well. Certain hotkeys such as brightness control didn't work as did the multi-touch trackpad, however everything else worked well. Linux has come quite a ways over the last several years and I haven't owned one since, but sounds like it may be a great alternative to Mac OS if you have one. Still leery on the price of the hardware though. However, if you happen across an older MacBook/MacBook Pro, I can see it being a viable replacement. Especially, for the models like the older MacBook Pro Titanium (well... at least on a resource-light distro) :)

Offline Vintalorian

• SIMPLE. ELEGANT. FAST. LINUX.
    • Vintalorian's Home
Re: Re: Fedora 27 on MacBook Pro 2015
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 07:04:45 AM »
I agree. I had a MacBook Pro back in 2011 and remember it running Ubuntu actually fairly well. Certain hotkeys such as brightness control didn't work as did the multi-touch trackpad, however everything else worked well. Linux has come quite a ways over the last several years and I haven't owned one since, but sounds like it may be a great alternative to Mac OS if you have one. Still leery on the price of the hardware though. However, if you happen across an older MacBook/MacBook Pro, I can see it being a viable replacement. Especially, for the models like the older MacBook Pro Titanium (well... at least on a resource-light distro) :)

I love my old Penryn MBP. I paid $250 for it after video card repairs, and it ran OS X for a few years before I upgraded to my current MBP. I did put Ubuntu on the old one for a little bit, but I found that OS X (until Yosemite) actually ran a little better on it because of the optimization. That is NOT the case with this newer MBP, though. Holy cow is it ever fast. I mean Fedora has always been fast for me, but dang. The more I use it, the more comfortable I feel calling myself a part of the Fedora Master Race. :P
Do the right thing. Use Linux.