2018 phone recommendations
Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: 2018 phone recommendations  (Read 325 times)

Offline CwF

2018 phone recommendations
« on: April 01, 2018, 01:26:07 PM »
Any?
I want a DEVICE that works!
As explained elsewhere I had one of those chinese tough phones. A nearly indestructible case and screen. An offshoot of a Sonim O2, rare and hard to find, somewhat underpowered, wrong frequencies now (used to work) and it totally lived up to it's toughness rating.
One important point is use. Lacking proper frequencies is why I didn't buy a Cat S60. As a real Cat guy who uses fancy cameras like that, it is almost perfect. Since an option for me is to not have any account attached, no SIM card required, a pure wifi enabled mini gadget, not a smart phone in the strict sense...I'd like it small enough for a pocket, so The considered phablets and larger cover everything but portability. The gadget needs to survive stupid handling.
I'd think custom rom, rootable friendly is best.
Still on use, without it being used as a phone or data sim, I slash the budget. At this point I maybe would go $200.
Real usb port. Real headphone jack is helpful. IRblaster I find useful. Big batteries. SD card storage a must....?
I'm looking around now...

Offline EricG

• Elite Member
  • I play way too much Team Fortress Classic.
    • Byteau Labs
Re: 2018 phone recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 04:42:11 PM »
You can look at an older Samsung Galaxy with an OtterBox, I think the S7 has actually dropped a lot in price.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 04:50:14 PM »
I would never give up my Epic 4g Touch (Galaxy S2) and you can still get batteries for them...
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline Teddy

• Staff Member
  • Running Bohdi Linux & Manjaro KDE
    • CarsUSANeeds.com
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 12:56:22 AM »
The Samsung Galaxy Note Series might be right up your alley! Specifically I world recommend the Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy Note 3, or Galaxy Note 4. All of them have IR blaster, removable batteries, microSD card slot, built-in stylus if you want to draw or take notes (part of the Note series main selling points). The Galaxy Note 2 would be the cheapest phone to get ahold of now. If you get a USA model, Verizon, Sprint T-Mobile doesn't matter, I believe those can have custom ROMs like Lineage OS if you wish. When I used my Note 3 T-Mobile, I had CyanogenMod on mine (before the Lineage OS name change). I am not sure about the international versions. Usually the international versions don't have the same custom ROM or Android development like the USA ones do.

Avoid the Note 5 and above, those have lost out on removable batteries, and there is no microSD card slot on the Note 5, when Samsung tried to alienate their customers. They reversed that change when the Note 8 came out, for good reason. Samsung has also removed the IR blaster on the Galaxy S7 and above phones, and also the Note 7 and above.

As an alternative, the LG G series of phones have the same features, minus the stylus. The G5 I know has IR, Removable battery and SD card slot. I have a LG V20 right now and it is mainly the same thing as a LG G5, except a larger screen and bigger battery with the same features. The G4 I think also has those features too, but I do not know for sure.
Theodore Thorpe,
Member of Spatry's Cup of Linux, Linux Distro Community and Linux Lite Forums.

Offline CwF

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 09:34:36 AM »
Fantanstic Detail Teddy, Bingo! You included it all! It was the stylus that sparked my brain. I thought of a canbus reader I used to use that required a stylus for its windows CE menu driven interface and I hated it. Plus it used to blow up all the time and I'd need to reload its firmmware to unlock it... But the ex-CAD guy in me thought of how nice it would be to have to detailed input on a screen that can zoom and scale properly...And you inluded ALL the other details. GOOD CALL. All you guys say Samsung, and I'd thought they are locked up special samsung androids, but maybe so popular things are built up for it. I've ignored the category, so I know little, this gives me a solid direction.

Post Merge: April 05, 2018, 10:28:43 AM
XDA shows current development on a S4 Mini. That might be my sweet spot if everything works under LiniageOS. I'll lurk for awhile...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 10:28:43 AM by CwF »