Giving Fedora 27 a shot...
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: Giving Fedora 27 a shot...  (Read 3429 times)

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
Giving Fedora 27 a shot...
« on: February 22, 2018, 11:15:52 PM »
My kiosk at work randomly stopped loading. After some research, it turns out the file system got corrupted. I'm not going to say for sure that it got infected, but things seem to point towards such. There was some program our manager had to pirate, but wanted to download and examine first in Linux. Well, the next day it stopped loading, so I think that's what happened.

Anyway, fed up with Debian based distro's, I sought out for something else, no more forks, no forks of forks, just plain Linux. I did, however, give Manjaro a shot since it's getting so popular lately, but I wasn't impressed. It felt just like Linux Mint to me, just thrown together, like a FrankenDistro. I tried an old interest, openSUSE, and was underwhelmed and confused just like before. Solus caught my eye, but failed to keep me interested. Then I grabbed a Fedora Workstation iso and got hooked. It feels rock solid and when combined with flatpak/flathub, it's just as usable as Ubuntu.

So to sum up, I've got it on my kiosk now and it's doing its job very well. I can't wait to see how it holds up after a few months, I want to see how it compares to Ubuntu. I also installed it on my laptop, Ubuntu's been having some weird quirks on that as well.
Custom PC Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 16GB DDR3 256GB M.2 NVMe 5.5TB Storage

Offline MrCoe

• - Aspiring Red Hatter...That Uses Fedora
Re: Giving Fedora 27 a shot...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 12:55:31 AM »
It's all down to personal taste, i don't mind RPM based distros, i had red hat workstation on my laptop for a while but i just enjoy arch to much so i just went back to it and run rehat virtually if i need it for study material, hope fedora treats you well :)

Offline eronis

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 07:57:04 AM »
Personally, Fedora has always been my favorite although right now I'm on Manjaro. Ubuntu has weird issues as you said and they will never be fixed. Manjaro and Fedora, these both are pretty stable in my experience. Fedora had less crashes and error messages than Ubuntu based distros on my computers. Red Hat taking this desktop thing more seriously than Canonical. openSUSE is pretty stable alright but uses pretty old kernel and it's weird to use. Even installiation seems a bit weird to me. It's like a distro from another planet. It's not the same Linux i'm used to. Not a bad distro, there are fans of SUSE and they have plenty of reasons to use it. But i use Fedora 26 on daily basis, not 27. Latest version tend to have minor stability issues. Last version - 1 always is the way to go for me :)
The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it. --Linus Torvalds

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 09:32:22 AM »
I would have to admit that if I were not on Manjaro right now I would probably be using OpenSUSE of Fedora... They seem to be in a better direction than the buntus...

The only thing is I just love the package management in the Arch/Manjaro type of distro... and that keeps me on this platform...
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline eronis

Re: Re: Giving Fedora 27 a shot...
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 09:34:22 AM »
I would have to admit that if I were not on Manjaro right now I would probably be using OpenSUSE of Fedora... They seem to be in a better direction than the buntus...

The only thing is I just love the package management in the Arch/Manjaro type of distro... and that keeps me on this platform...
And maybe you're a bit too lazy to store all data, game saves, documents and everything and wipe your hard drive, then install the new os :D If it works, don't fix it. You're doing the best :)
The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it. --Linus Torvalds

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 09:47:35 AM »
Actually you can install Linux without wiping out your /home partition so it would not be much effort to swap out distributions...

And maybe you're a bit too lazy to store all data, game saves, documents and everything and wipe your hard drive, then install the new os :D If it works, don't fix it.

Offline eronis

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 09:57:22 AM »
Actually you can install Linux without wiping out your /home partition so it would not be much effort to swap out distributions...
I've been told it could make some conflicts and could be problematic. So I never tried it to be honest :D What's your experience about it ? Have you ever done that on your daily drive ?

By the way, Welcome back. We missed you :)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 10:18:13 AM »
Recently an update on Manjaro would not let me start an X session and rather than trying to dig around and find out what the problem was, I decided it would be easier to CLEAN out the system and do a fresh install... Since my /home is on it's own partition, all I had to do was install a new copy of Manjaro to my /boot and / partitions.... then it was all a matter of transferring my stuff from my original /home/spatry (I renamed it to /home/BACKUP) then transferred the items I wanted to keep to the NEW /home/spatry directory.... when I logged in, all of my programs was just the way I left them... EVEN WINE had all of my programs still installed and ready to use! It is quite convenient because in about an hour I had a new installation with ALL of my programs working the way I wanted them.... and I had a clean /home directory because I only restored what I wanted to keep and ditched the rest....

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 10:56:45 AM »
That's standard operating procedure for me. I don't always allow the distribution to write me a new home directory, sometimes I just allow it to install around my home directory and then I just need to reinstall some stuff like themes, fonts and icon packs.
If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 07:34:27 PM »
That's one way of doing it, and a really smart one at that. I do things the old and moldy way by making back ups, and storing big files such as movies and games on external storage. Old and moldy, yeah, but just as effective. This way I can just wipe the whole thing at a moments notice. Plus I like having to manually reinstalling my programs because it gives me a good feel for the OS I've chosen.

I actually had to ditch Fedora, damn shame too, it was doing a great job. Unfortunately the drive on work kiosk failed and our Boss thought it was related to Fedora, when it wasn't, and told me to put Ubuntu back on there or no Linux at all. BOO!!! Whatever, I'm still fine with Ubuntu, it's honestly for the best anyway because everyone at work is already familiar with it. I just hope they fix that GNOME bug soon, and totally looking forward to 18.04.
Custom PC Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 16GB DDR3 256GB M.2 NVMe 5.5TB Storage

Offline fchaos

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 08:20:20 PM »
when I first ran across Linux way way back and was running a dual boot with Win XP, I started doing the separate /home partition thing... liked it so much I even started installing windows the same way. I would have a windows partition for the system, and a data  partition where I kept everything else, even installed software. Of course windows doesn't actually let you do the "quick re-install" thing like Linux does, but it still made things a bit easier.

Personally, I don't even copy stuff from one /home to another, I just have a partition that is /home, and when I need to re-install the system, I tell the installer not to format or write a new /home, juys format and install / (root) and that's that... it takes maybe 20 minutes to install the system, and I'm running within an hour. I can have all my software re-installed and running, with all the same settings I was using before, in under 4 hours total, and that includes a very very heavily tweaked Compiz-reloaded desktop, Mozilla (with all my tabs, bookmarks,  stylish settings, ghostery and all the other plug-ins and add-ons), and pretty much everything else, up and running in about four hours tops.

Doing it any other way would likely at least double the time I would spend at it.

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 12:30:21 AM »
Nah, windows likes to have that central point of failure called the registry.
If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 08:49:16 AM »
Nah, windows likes to have that central point of failure called the registry.

Isn't that the truth? In another world separate from this community, I modded a program which admittedly runs very well in wine. Windows users reported they could only have one installation of the software at a time, otherwise they would get file not found errors.... Linux and Mac users can make a new wine prefix for each instance of the software they wish to run... Funny how we can get around registry issues very easily! THE WINDOWS REGISTRY IS A MAJOR PITA and they need to get rid of it!

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 02:21:19 PM »
Watch someone port wine to windows now...

« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 04:35:35 PM by fraterchaos »

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2018, 03:48:58 PM »
Watch someone port wine to windows now...

OH NO! That would break the space-time continuum! I would think that M$ would have a serious sh*t fit if someone were to develop a compatibility layer which allows people to run software which their operating system deliberately* deprecates!
*Sometimes I wonder if Microsoft has contracts written in BLOOD with Adobe, Symantec and other software developers to intentionally make their operating systems incompatible with older programs in order to generate more sales!