Malware in Bluetooth (not strictly Linux... but)
Welcome, Guest.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Click the CHAT button above for connection details. Show up early, seating is limited, late entries will not be registered.
Make sure you show up for game night! We have prize giveaways just for being there! Anyone can win!

Author Topic: Malware in Bluetooth (not strictly Linux... but)  (Read 1336 times)

Offline fraterchaos

• Mandelbrot Metal Mayhem!
  • Staff Member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity
Malware in Bluetooth (not strictly Linux... but)
« on: September 20, 2017, 07:52:08 PM »
there's a new malware that is effecting many devices using bluetooth, including linux boxes running BlueZ and a lot of androids...

"Currently, all Windows devices running Vista or later, all Linux devices running BlueZ or Tizen 3.3-rc1, all Android devices, and all versions of iOS running iOS 9.x or earlier are affected. iOS 10 and later devices from Apple are not affected. Google has pushed out a solution, but only for Nougat and Marshmallow. Earlier versions of Android will reportedly not be patched."

Full article:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
Re: Malware in Bluetooth (not strictly Linux... but)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 02:53:07 PM »
hmmm i have androidseven andhavent received crap yet foran update 
Linux is the world of computing were you make your own rules and decisions and not by some corporate aholes!!!!!

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
Re: Malware in Bluetooth (not strictly Linux... but)
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 10:03:38 PM »
there's a new malware that is effecting many devices using bluetooth, including linux boxes running BlueZ and a lot of androids...

"Currently, all Windows devices running Vista or later, all Linux devices running BlueZ or Tizen 3.3-rc1, all Android devices, and all versions of iOS running iOS 9.x or earlier are affected. iOS 10 and later devices from Apple are not affected. Google has pushed out a solution, but only for Nougat and Marshmallow. Earlier versions of Android will reportedly not be patched."

Full article:

Haven't run across this issue yet, however it mentions that all Android phones are affected so I guess it means that I'm part of the crowd that needs to be concerned. Hopefully, now this is out in the open they push out a fix ASAP for the affected devices.

Offline fraterchaos

• Staff Member
Re: Re: Malware in Bluetooth (not strictly Linux... but)
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 01:07:12 PM »
hmmm i have androidseven andhavent received crap yet foran update

Yeah, I'm marshmallow and haven't had any updates either... I wonder how dangerous it is if you don't use the Bluetooth much, because mostly I don't.
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
Re: Re: Re: Malware in Bluetooth (not strictly Linux... but)
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 07:03:22 PM »
Yeah, I'm marshmallow and haven't had any updates either... I wonder how dangerous it is if you don't use the Bluetooth much, because mostly I don't.

I would imagine that as long as you keep Bluetooth off for the most part, you shouldn't have an issue with it unless somehow they figure out how to turn it on remotely. Me on the other hand, I use Bluetooth almost religiously between my at home headsets and in my car, so I probably have more to be concerned with. May just need to start turning it off when I don't need it. Problem is, that is easier said than done. ;)

Offline fraterchaos

• Staff Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Malware in Bluetooth (not strictly Linux... but)
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 09:08:17 PM »
I would imagine that as long as you keep Bluetooth off for the most part, you shouldn't have an issue with it unless somehow they figure out how to turn it on remotely. Me on the other hand, I use Bluetooth almost religiously between my at home headsets and in my car, so I probably have more to be concerned with. May just need to start turning it off when I don't need it. Problem is, that is easier said than done. ;)

I believe mine is set to always being on, but then, nobody around here uses it... I use it once in a great while for the external keyboard for my tablet, but that's pretty much it.

But I have not had any issues. I don't think anyone has ever tried to connect to my phone or tablet. I kind of think bluetooth is a little beyond the abilities of most of the backwoods rednecks around here