Update problem (Giving up after research)
Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Update problem (Giving up after research)  (Read 1108 times)

Offline aphex

Update problem (Giving up after research)
« on: July 23, 2017, 11:47:41 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

What should i do? :( This is brand new installation. 
Soon I will uninstall the entire system :P

Offline Matthew_Moore

• YouTUBE Show Host
  • Contributor
  • The Other Guy. :)
Re: Update problem (Giving up after research)
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 01:00:43 PM »
I have the same problem.  It was working two days ago. But out of the last few weeks, that was the only day it was working for me. There is something wrong with the Manjaro servers.  I tried for hours to fix it, The fact that it randomly starts working and then stops again leads me to believe the issue is on the servers.  Manjaro has turned into a steaming pile of junk. It's hard for me to even recommend it anymore. that includes my own respin and the COL update Ben recently put together. Manjaro has become a major disappointment. And the Manjaro developers don't care. You report bugs to them, they just respond with insults. Their solution is,  " You're probably using it wrong " So screw em'. I've switched over to Debian SID and Linux Mint.  I prefer Arch and Manjaro, But i just can't depend on either anymore. Just to many problems.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 01:06:25 PM by Matthew_Moore »

Offline aphex

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 01:32:24 PM »
I have the same problem.  It was working two days ago. But out of the last week, that was the only day it was working. There is something wrong with the Manjaro servers.  I tried for hours to fix it, The fact that it randomly starts working and then stops again leads me to believe the issue is on the servers.  Manjaro has turned into a steaming pile of junk. It's hard for me to even recommend it anymore. that includes my own respin and the COL update Ben recently put together. Manjaro has become a major disappointment. And the Manjaro developers don't care. You report bugs to them, they just respond with insults. Their solution is,  " You're probably using it wrong " So screw em'. I've switched over to Debian SID and Linux Mint.  I prefer Arch and Manjaro, But i just can't depend on either anymore. Just to many problems.

Ooh thats bad :( I like manjaro. Enjoy the job you did as well. What can you recommend as a linux distro now? If it's what they want, I do not want to use it anymore.. They do not seem to be friendly at all :/ I want something simple and super nice clean design. Light and fast :) Like to play a lot of games also on steam.. I'm not a professional user in linux either :P Thank you for responding!

Offline fraterchaos

• Mandelbrot Metal Mayhem!
  • Staff Member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 03:25:38 PM »
wow, that is very odd. I can't really see the image well enough to read the text in the terminal window, so I'm not able to offer any advice, since I'm not sure what the problem is.

But it seems strange to me. I am running a very very modified version of Manjaro openRC, with Compiz-Reloaded, so it tends to be a little bit unstable by it's very nature. I have occasional small issues when updating, usually due to the devs that do the openRC version sometimes screw up the order of the updates, sending you stuff that has dependencies that have not been met and sometimes cannot be met at that time. Usually I can either disable that part of the update and wait, or just wait and do my updates in a few days instead.

I will admit, I don't even TRY contacting the devs. No point. I was screwed over by the whole "Manjaro Community" back when they did that stupid move of the forums to the new forum software (which if my info is correct, they later abandoned) so I'm not even signed up on the regular Manjaro forums anymore... I get my advice on Manjaro right here. As for what happened over there, well let's just say that certain users have some sort of immunity from having to obey the rules that everyone else has to follow. Because they are "nice guys" and because they are "very smart"... being a nice guy most of the time and being very smart means you can be a raging prick to somebody who isn't as popular I guess.

Anyway, enough of my ranting. I just find it strange that anyone is saying "Manjaro is $hit" since I've had no major problems and I am really pushing the envelope (especially for somebody who isn't really a Linux  pro)

just my own humble opinion, you are free to disagree.

(oops forgot to mention, if it's not clear from the text above, I'm not using either MM respin or Spatry's MCOLE, although my own set up is very close to the same desktop as MCOLE, just on openRC instead, and with9out some of the icons and backgrounds that MCOLE uses)

Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline glsmaxx

• Old Dog Learnin' New Tricks
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 01:50:41 PM »
I can't understand what the problem is myself. I have 3 boxes running Manjaro and no Arch boxes right now.  I never have a problem with them. Nothing. I update them as soon as I see the update is out. Since Manjaro 8. whatever I can remember the updates breaking one twice. As for booting and loading the OD I always use dd and don't have any problems.  It isn't something I do very often and I might not be able to load new today, I don't know.
I will know Wed as I have a new to me Lenovo coming and will load Manjaro on a new mSATA SSD. I have not decided whether to leave the Win 10 on it as a dual boot or ditch it and run only Linux. I'd say the odds are Windows are gone 4-1. I have Win 7 / Manjaro dual boot already.
Maybe Manjaro just likes long in the tooth and middle of the road hardware. Don't know. I do know everyone is n ot having trouble with it.
Hope things get better down the road for those having problems.
Running Manjaro-XFCE  &  Arch-XFCE
           Are There Any Others?

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 02:00:49 AM »
Personally, I have only maybe had a couple of issues with Manjaro KDE. However, my experience with it has been that of a rock solid distro. Usually, I'll do a search if it is something that I haven't faced before to get some guidance. I frequent the Arch Wiki. If I still can't find it, that's when I will usually reach out for help on a number of different forums to see if anyone has faced a similar issue. If it is something that I can see impacting a particularly large group of people (kind of like AMD after X.org 1.18), then I usually will post stuff like that too so that at least people are aware, can implement the workaround (if there is one), etc.

I think that I have at one point signed up on the Manjaro Forum, but that might have been before they supposedly modified the site. I haven't been back other than just doing some searches on general fixes. I've had usually nothing but a bad experience with the Arch Forums for reasons that everyone is probably pretty much aware of by this point. If not, I've encountered some pretty hostile people on there that would rather tell you to read a manual instead of trying to understand the issue. The wiki page that they are referencing may not always be entirely on point with what the issue is, or even leave key elements out... or potentially the issue could be a side-effect of something else. However, the point I'm trying to make is, that rather than trying to understand what is wrong, people are really quick to throw a link out there to just get the post off of their hands. Also, and this one bothers me, some will try to refer you to another distro that is more "noob friendly", etc.

I'm not bashing on all of them because there are honestly a lot of great and helpful people on there, but it seems like there are equally as many with kind of a more elitist attitude. Much respect for those that help others out with understanding the distro, definitely making it a bit easier for people to tackle learning to run on something like Arch or Arch-variant as most would recommend. Especially, those that may be completely new to Linux in general. The kindness and helpful people support the decision they made to dump Windows or Mac for something different and functional, while the elitist people drive them away.