Install The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall on Linux
Welcome, Guest.
The Chatroom is BACK! --Spatry

Author Topic: Install The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall on Linux  (Read 3825 times)

Offline OrvilleG

Install The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall on Linux
« on: March 12, 2017, 01:16:38 AM »
*NOTE* THE GAME IS RATED M, SO PLEASE DON'T INSTALL IT IF YOU ARE UNDER 17. Unless you have permission from your parents/guardians.

EDIT: Turns out there is a much easier way

1. Download and install the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
2. Go to the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login page on the Lutris website
3. Click install and follow the instructions. It should now appear in the client and in your applications menu.

No need to configure anything.

What you will need: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (Most likely in your Distribution's repository)  and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

1.Create a folder in your home directory and call it "dosgames"

2. Download Daggerfall and extract it to the directory you just made.

3. Download and install DOSBox

3.Launch, and close DOSbox to generate the .conf file.

4. In the terminal type:

Code: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
nano ~/.dosbox/dosbox-0.74.conf
5. Look for "memsize=16" and change it to "memsize=32" Save and close with CTRL + X

6. Launch DOSBox

7. Type
mount c ~/dosgames -freesize 1000 to mount that directory as the working environment

8. Now we need to mount the DFCD directory as the CDROM. To do this type
mount d ~/dosgames/dfcd -t cdrom -label Daggerfall
9. Now enter the D:/> directory by typing

d:
10. type "INSTALL" and follow the installers instructions. Maker sure you change the install size to "HUGE". It should only be about 300 MBs. Also make sure you install it to C:/Dagger.

11. The installer will offer to configure the soundcard for you. Press Alt + Enter to exit full screen and choose yes so you can configure the soundcard.

12. Select "Auto-Detect" and and then select 'Detect" It should detect an emulated Sound Blaster 16, if it does press "OK"

13. Now select 'MIDI" Select "Sound Blaster 16" and then Port 338"

14. Select "Okay" and the "Okay" again on the main menu.

15. Type "DAG213 at the prompt to install the patch.

16 Navigate to C:/DAGGER by typing
c: and then
cd DAGGER

17. launch Daggerfall by typing
dagger

Now, every time you want to play Daggerfall after launching DOSBox you will have to type the following commands

mount c ~/dosgames -freesize 1000
mount d ~/dosgames/dfcd -t cdrom -label Daggerfall
c:
cd dagger
dagger
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 12:28:32 AM by EricG »

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
Re: Install The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall on Linux
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 01:37:26 AM »
Awesome guide EricG! Will have to check this out. Enjoyed playing ESII Daggerfall when it first came out. Been a long while since I have seen it. Also, might take a look at going through Morrowind again as well. Kind of play back through them. Out of everything, I would still have to say that Oblivion really won me over with the story. Skyrim with the graphics, not story though... way too short to be honest. More side-quests than there is main storyline. Granted the DLC's for it are not bad, still would have liked to see the main story line developed a bit more.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline OrvilleG

Re: Re: Install The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall on Linux
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 01:44:33 AM »
Awesome guide EricG! Will have to check this out. Enjoyed playing ESII Daggerfall when it first came out. Been a long while since I have seen it. Also, might take a look at going through Morrowind again as well. Kind of play back through them. Out of everything, I would still have to say that Oblivion really won me over with the story. Skyrim with the graphics, not story though... way too short to be honest. More side-quests than there is main storyline. Granted the DLC's for it are not bad, still would have liked to see the main story line developed a bit more.

Thank you!

Also, be prepared to edit the controls for 20 minutes. The defaults are pretty bad. Even for DOS standards.

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
Re: Re: Re: Install The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall on Linux
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 01:53:03 AM »

Thank you!

Also, be prepared to edit the controls for 20 minutes. The defaults are pretty bad. Even for DOS standards.

Haha... I can imagine. No worries on that though. May remind me of setting up the soundblaster on my old Compaq desktop for some of my oldest games. Absolute nightmare to get it working, but so worth it when you did lol.

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 08:31:16 PM »
Ok so just a couple of thoughts, my apologies if this doesn't work perfectly as I'm kind of generating this on the fly from the info in your post.  You can actually automate the loading of the game once you have a working configuration file, put it in your daggerfall directory and call it something like dosbox_daggerfall.conf

In the dosbox config file, you can add an [autoexec] section that acts like the autoexec.bat file on a DOS installation, something like this...

[autoexec] 
# Lines in this section will be run at startup 

mount c "." 
c: 
mount d ../dfcd -t cdrom -label Daggerfall 
dagger 
exit

Then you would go to your daggerfall directory and launch it via the command:

dosbox -conf dosbox_daggerfall.conf

or, you could write a shell script for your bin directory that's something like

#!/bin/bash
cd ~/dosgames/dagger

and as long as that bin directory is in your path, you could start it from anywhere or easily make a shortcut or menu entry

If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.

Offline OrvilleG

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 09:35:27 PM »
Ok so just a couple of thoughts, my apologies if this doesn't work perfectly as I'm kind of generating this on the fly from the info in your post.  You can actually automate the loading of the game once you have a working configuration file, put it in your daggerfall directory and call it something like dosbox_daggerfall.conf

In the dosbox config file, you can add an [autoexec] section that acts like the autoexec.bat file on a DOS installation, something like this...

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup

mount c "."
c:
mount d ../dfcd -t cdrom -label Daggerfall
dagger
exit

Then you would go to your daggerfall directory and launch it via the command:

or, you could write a shell script for your bin directory that's something like

#!/bin/bash
cd ~/dosgames/dagger

and as long as that bin directory is in your path, you could start it from anywhere or easily make a shortcut or menu entry

Ahh, I forgot about that. Thanks.

I forgot about that, thank you! Although it may be a little pointless since the Lutris way is much easier. Unless people don't want to use Lutris.

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 10:51:20 PM »
Never really tried it, might have to take a look and see what's possible.  I've been looking for something that I can use to launch all of my games instead of steam, steam(windows), steam with a special wine version for DXHR, playonlinux, dosbox and native stuff
If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.

Offline OrvilleG

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 11:09:55 PM »
Never really tried it, might have to take a look and see what's possible.  I've been looking for something that I can use to launch all of my games instead of steam, steam(windows), steam with a special wine version for DXHR, playonlinux, dosbox and native stuff

Apparently you can launch your Steam games from Lutris.

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
Re: Re: Re: Install The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall on Linux
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 11:49:09 PM »
Apparently you can launch your Steam games from Lutris.

Steam integration is actually a pretty big plus for me. Think I am going to try the Lutris route first, but good to have all options available in case it doesn't end up working out for some reason. ;)

Offline OrvilleG

Re: Re: Re: Re: Install The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall on Linux
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 12:29:52 AM »
Steam integration is actually a pretty big plus for me. Think I am going to try the Lutris route first, but good to have all options available in case it doesn't end up working out for some reason. ;)

They also have Desura ingratiation. Well not that you can use it since Desura is down.
They do have plans for GOG and Humble Bundle support.

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 12:35:16 AM »
GOG and Humble Bundle integration will be nice. Too bad GOG still hasn't released their Galaxy client yet on Linux. Wonder if that is going to happen at all despite the requests and commotion from Linux gamers for them to make one? There is a lot of people requesting it. If in any case, at least Lutris has plans to do this, so there may not be any need for them to if they work it out with them. Or maybe that was the plan all along?  ??? 

Offline OrvilleG

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 12:51:53 AM »
GOG and Humble Bundle integration will be nice. Too bad GOG still hasn't released their Galaxy client yet on Linux. Wonder if that is going to happen at all despite the requests and commotion from Linux gamers for them to make one? There is a lot of people requesting it. If in any case, at least Lutris has plans to do this, so there may not be any need for them to if they work it out with them. Or maybe that was the plan all along?  ???

Personally, I don't really like digital distribution clients. I like launching stuff from the applications menu.

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 11:37:40 PM »
I don't honestly understand why the GOG folks haven't done a linux beta client yet.  The beta that is out is built around qt, so theoretically it should be cross-platform.