Install on new SSD
Welcome, Guest.
The Chatroom is BACK! --Spatry

Author Topic: Install on new SSD  (Read 1614 times)

Offline sallen

Install on new SSD
« on: December 16, 2016, 10:20:17 AM »
Hi, I am new to Linux and want to install mCOL on a new SSD.  I am upgrading an older Inspiron 1525 with a Crucial 525GB and want to install mCOL on it.  I watched the beginner's tour video but does this apply to an install on a new drive? 
Also do I need to make all the seperate partitions like it shows on the video and I'm wondering what do all the different partitions do?
Thanks,
Steven

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
Re: Install on new SSD
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 03:43:43 PM »
HI sallen, the installation process is the same on a brand new drive. A lot of times, what I will do is to allow it to auto-configure the partitions. A lot of times it will give you 2GB swap space and dedicate everything else to root. The only time that this would be an issue is for a distro (non-Manjaro) that is trying to install your home partition separately. Personally, I don't like it doing this as then I have to worry about running out of space on my home partition. However, other's view it as useful because if something were to ever happen to the distro, it would be easy to recover and essentially just reinstall your OS without any problem. Kind of like a backup.

Anyway, I was able to find a pretty good beginner's guide on getting everything going. The video may be for an older version of Manjaro. However, this guide on the Manjaro forums is kept pretty much up to date. It is for an older version, however the installer that they are showing hasn't changed at all since the guide was made, so should still be good.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

There are a few different installers available depending on the one you would like to use. The installer shown in the guide seems to work for the most part. Never personally have experienced an issue with it. Although, you have another (can't remember the name) that resembles the Ubuntu installer and finally CLI which is strictly command line with a minimal UI. Just depends on what you are comfortable using.

Let us know if you have any questions.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 03:50:52 PM by Kalthrix »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login