Skyrim with MODS on LINUX
Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Skyrim with MODS on LINUX  (Read 3572 times)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Skyrim with MODS on LINUX
« on: March 14, 2016, 07:01:43 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I hope you guys are ready for this one, this is one of the longest videos I have ever made. At 83 minutes in length, this is the MOTHER LOAD! Today we are going to install Skyrim on Linux and I will show you my way to get your MODS working... Manually! Really, it is not that hard.
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline zundrli

Re: Skyrim with MODS on LINUX
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 10:26:45 AM »
it's great seeing you are putting out videos again
hope you're doing better irl and stuff
may i ask what kind of framerates you achieve when not recording?
and with what gpu?
thanks!
cheers from germany

Offline dragondude

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 10:38:06 AM »
cool video good to see ya back spatry but i have a challenge for you and maybe you could kick my but at this try getting warframe to work while running at a stable framerate if you actually managed that it would be godlike to me :)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Re: Skyrim with MODS on LINUX
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 11:19:25 AM »
it's great seeing you are putting out videos again
hope you're doing better irl and stuff
may i ask what kind of framerates you achieve when not recording?
and with what gpu?
thanks!
cheers from germany

My framerates are not super... I am still on a laptop.... they are acceptable when running games in fullscreen and no screen capture though....

cool video good to see ya back spatry but i have a challenge for you and maybe you could kick my but at this try getting warframe to work while running at a stable framerate if you actually managed that it would be godlike to me :)

Code: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
# sudo WTF is warframeIf that is a game, it will be a while before I can afford to add new games to my library. My system specs are covered elsewhere on this board in the appropriate area... This is not a race winner for gaming.... I am on a humble laptop.
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline joejohnston3

• Spatry BROKE it... I'm Telling!
  • Staff Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 01:00:33 PM »
I cannot tell you how excited I am to see a new video from you, Spatry! You are the best! Thank you for all of your hard work.
Joe Johnston
Solus MATE

Offline dragondude

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 03:06:33 PM »
response to spatry warframe is a free to play game that is probly one of the best many people have been able to get it to run we are just having trouble figuring out what is causing various issues such as bad framerates even on it's lowest settings theres at least a dozen or so people trying to get it to run the issue is they don't have the knowledge of working with wine that you do so they get all lazy about getting it to run 

Offline linuxbookpro

• Contributor
  • Web Designer
    • LinuxBookPro
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 04:11:47 PM »
Welcome back Spatry, my YouTube feed has been a little quiet and subdued for the last several months.
-- Joseph Dickson
Web designer, distrohopper, coffee drinker.

Offline Crimson

• Elite Member
  • PC PrimeApe
    • Syndicate Underground
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 08:06:59 PM »
Does anyone know if an XBOX 360 controller will work with Skyrim installed this way?

Offline mitsos1992

• Offensive Security Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 04:13:49 PM »
in recent events people use LOOT which is a step ahead, but you can pretty much avoid all that trouble if you install manually and then run BOSS
latest version of BOSS can be found on Github.
link here:
it support GUI or CLI, which sorts mods automatically without pain and VM usage and etc.

Enjoy :D

Offline TheFlagCourier

• FOSS Ronin
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 05:12:35 PM »
in recent events people use LOOT which is a step ahead, but you can pretty much avoid all that trouble if you install manually and then run BOSS
latest version of BOSS can be found on Github.
link here:
it support GUI or CLI, which sorts mods automatically without pain and VM usage and etc.

Enjoy :D
It was my understanding that BOSS was being depreciated as far as Skyrim, New Vegas, and Fallout 3 support.

In fact...

Quote from: BOSS
Using mods for Skyrim, Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas? Use You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login instead, as BOSS's support for those games is relatively poor and no longer maintained. Oblivion users can also use LOOT, but may find that BOSS performs better, depending on the mods they use.

On a side-note I wonder if I could run the Enderal total conversion mod via wine... I'll look into this when I'm back at my desktop.

Offline mitsos1992

• Offensive Security Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2016, 01:13:14 PM »
Its not maintained but still an option though,

Loot still needs so many depedencies that VM is absolute requirement to allow  that to run 
whereas BOSS will run under wine perfectly both CLI and GUI works.

If All you need is some mod sorting without adding many great mods on top of skyrim then BOSS will do it :D

Offline shadowstar

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 01:04:55 AM »
There is one thing that i noticed while installing skyrim on antergos via wine that i needed to have a sound driver in order to run the game. I worked with wine config as well as installing several components via playonlinux.