Fedora based Xfce distro
Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Fedora based Xfce distro  (Read 1491 times)

Offline eronis

Fedora based Xfce distro
« on: January 31, 2017, 04:28:32 AM »
Hey guys ! I used to use Ubuntu base on my computers yet I've had enough with ppas, Ubuntu problems that canonical never solves, and I've used to look up to Red Hat as a company. I like Fedora but Fedora 25 Xfce doesn't come with codecs and non free software. So, I want something codecs come pre-installed. I've seen Korora 25 Xfce but it's iso was so big. I need something less than 2GB since it's the max. limit my USB drive can handle.

Any recommendations ?

Offline CwF

Re: Fedora based Xfce distro
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 04:56:32 PM »
I might suggest regular debian. No ppa thingies there. Testing (stretch) is now Xfce 4.12 and has non-free options. Debian 9 should be out in a few days. I'm not sure on what codecs, but my debian stretch plays all audio/video and things streamed from a windows machine, both on a host machine with mpv and a vm guest, also debian stretch, with VLC. I like mpv better actually... As of two days ago, this solution runs better than an Xubuntu solution. I'll keep 2 ubuntu variant vm's for a short while for learning, but will not let them update and will kill them also when their purpose is gone, as in two days ago. While simplifying myself to debian is working for my limited time, I hear fedora and Arch are more current. With extras included my pool is 1.7 G

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
Re: Fedora based Xfce distro
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 06:48:28 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hey guys ! I used to use Ubuntu base on my computers yet I've had enough with ppas, Ubuntu problems that canonical never solves, and I've used to look up to Red Hat as a company. I like Fedora but Fedora 25 Xfce doesn't come with codecs and non free software. So, I want something codecs come pre-installed. I've seen Korora 25 Xfce but it's iso was so big. I need something less than 2GB since it's the max. limit my USB drive can handle.

Any recommendations ?

If you are willing to dip into Arch and learn it, I would definitely recommend installing Arch or a Arch-variant such as Manjaro or Antergos. Both in which you can find under 2GB which would work for your flash drive. Also, they give you an option to use non-free drivers right off the bat as part of the liveboot up to installing the distro.

If you are still particular to Fedora, you may want to look into RPM Fusion which contains the forbidden (non-free) software/drivers. More info about how to add the repos listed here. This article pretty much covers doing so on a variety of different flavors of Linux.

I would also have to agree with CwF posted about Debian. May not be bleeding edge, but you have the ability to basically set it up how you would like as with many other distros, especially those that aren't based on commercial distributions.

Offline eronis

Re: Re: Fedora based Xfce distro
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 02:50:26 AM »
If you are willing to dip into Arch and learn it, I would definitely recommend installing Arch or a Arch-variant such as Manjaro or Antergos. Both in which you can find under 2GB which would work for your flash drive. Also, they give you an option to use non-free drivers right off the bat as part of the liveboot up to installing the distro.

If you are still particular to Fedora, you may want to look into RPM Fusion which contains the forbidden (non-free) software/drivers. More info about how to add the repos listed here. This article pretty much covers doing so on a variety of different flavors of Linux.

I would also have to agree with CwF posted about Debian. May not be bleeding edge, but you have the ability to basically set it up how you would like as with many other distros, especially those that aren't based on commercial distributions.
I'm an old Fedora user and I know RPMFusion but I wanted to have something pre-configured to save time.

I'm actually running Manjaro Xfce on all my computers. I've tried Arch but I've realized I'm spending too much time on google'ing what I've messed up and why it seems weird like that. Manjaro comes pre-configured and it's a time saver for me, that's why I'm using it. I Manjaro is a rolling release. I know I will need something I know it will for and this mean Fedora or openSUSE. I'm not a SUSE fan, actually not having live disks really makes me feel like openSUSE doesn't care about home user, so I don't wanna rely on it. I know there are choices like Gecko Linux or SUSE Studio but it still is not enough IMHO. There should be live disks provided by openSUSE itself without make me create a new live media.

Post Merge: February 01, 2017, 02:51:34 AM

I might suggest regular debian. No ppa thingies there. Testing (stretch) is now Xfce 4.12 and has non-free options. Debian 9 should be out in a few days. I'm not sure on what codecs, but my debian stretch plays all audio/video and things streamed from a windows machine, both on a host machine with mpv and a vm guest, also debian stretch, with VLC. I like mpv better actually... As of two days ago, this solution runs better than an Xubuntu solution. I'll keep 2 ubuntu variant vm's for a short while for learning, but will not let them update and will kill them also when their purpose is gone, as in two days ago. While simplifying myself to debian is working for my limited time, I hear fedora and Arch are more current. With extras included my pool is 1.7 G

Actually, I don't like Apt package system and deb files too :D These things always gave me headache. I've had luck with pacman, dnf and rpm packages, so I wanna use them.