Fedora 25
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: Fedora 25  (Read 4184 times)

Offline Raklödder

Fedora 25
« on: December 12, 2016, 06:17:59 AM »

The latest release comes with an updated 4.8 kernel, Wayland support by default, GNOME 3.22, Fedora Media Writer, MP3 decoding, Flatpak support for developers and the usual Cinnamon, KDE, LXDE, MATE/Compiz, Sugar and XFCE-spins.

I've only been running the latest version for the past three weeks, but it has been more stable than I had anticipated apart from the occasional flickering when watching Youtube-videos and going back and forth from fullscreen mode with any given mediaplayer (which is more than likely an issue with Wayland) but other than that it has been overall good for the things I like to do, which consits of some light photo and video editing, audiophile hours, web browsing and playing games and it has already helped me save my valuable files twice after having enabled "proposed" updates in my Ubuntu 17.04 settings, but that can be said about any live-USB and doesn't make it unique.

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
Re: Fedora 25
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 08:23:42 PM »
I've tried it too on my laptop and I've got to say I was pretty impressed as well. I'm almost inclined to use it as my main distribution on that thing. Wayland seems really nice so far, very smooth.
Custom Linux PC Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 16GB DDR3 256GB M.2 NVMe 5.5TB Storage

Offline vstarsteve

• unreformed distrohopper asus z77 sabertooth i7
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 11:03:16 PM »
Is wayland default for xfce version as well ? 

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
Re: Re: Fedora 25
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 11:10:08 PM »
I've tried it too on my laptop and I've got to say I was pretty impressed as well. I'm almost inclined to use it as my main distribution on that thing. Wayland seems really nice so far, very smooth.

Hmm... I need to give this a test run to see how well my ROG handles it. I was wondering about Wayland since I have yet to use a distro that has it implemented. Awesome to hear that it is running smoothly though.

Offline eronis

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 04:29:28 AM »
Is wayland default for xfce version as well ?
Xfce 4.12 only supports X. I hope Xfce 4.14 will support Wayland.
The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it. --Linus Torvalds

Offline vstarsteve

• unreformed distrohopper asus z77 sabertooth i7
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 09:30:54 PM »
I went ahead and installed the basic workstation gnome on a ssd wth Vivaldi as my default browser autostarting along with the terminal. No complaints as of yet - seems pretty awesome.

Offline eronis

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 05:36:52 PM »
I went ahead and installed the basic workstation gnome on a ssd wth Vivaldi as my default browser autostarting along with the terminal. No complaints as of yet - seems pretty awesome.
Fedora is awesome. But it has one single flaw. Software. You won't be able to find every software you want on Fedora and sometimes you will have to figure out how to install a single piece of software by yourself. Ubuntu and Arch (Arch is better than Ubuntu in this area) wins when we start to talk about repositories.
The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it. --Linus Torvalds

Offline TheFlagCourier

• FOSS Ronin
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 05:12:24 PM »
In all honesty, it is a bit of a pain when you're dealing with non-free (Fedora's definition, not FSF's) software. You have to enable a 3rd party repository (RPM Fusion) or use the COPR build system. Sometimes, building from source is a requirement. The upside to this is a distribution that's stable as a rock, given the love and care put in by the developers - and the income from RHEL. I personally have had few issues dealing with the distribution, compared to the numerous on Manjaro or Ubuntu.