Do you guys notice Deepin (chinese operating system) has crossover FREE?
Welcome, Guest.
The Chatroom is BACK! --Spatry

Author Topic: Do you guys notice Deepin (chinese operating system) has crossover FREE?  (Read 16455 times)

Offline GottaPlayGames

I fell in love with Deepin GNU/Linux because it had Crossover Linux for FREE for some odd reason. :D but sadly its only for those with the operating system itself. -_-
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline JayVii

• Contributor
    • JayVii's Page
I'm pretty sure, them shipping a free copy of Crossover isn't legal. Users of it probably won't get into trouble, but Deepin themselves might (and IMHO should) be punished for that.
I also found that package in the AUR but again: That most likely is software-piracy and shouldn't happen! Especially, when crossover is such an amazing product and they are contributing so much to the WINE-Project!

Correct me, if i'm wrong here. But really, I doubt they are permitted to ship it with their distro.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
If it is demonstration software then they should be Okay... but if it is a commercial version then I NEED TO MAKE A VIDEO ABOUT IT RIGHT NOW... ON SPATRY'S CUP OF LINUX

According to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login page the AUR package is a TRIAL VERSION. If the package with DEEPIN is INDEED the FULL version, they are ILLEGALLY DISTRIBUTING IT and should be punished accordingly!
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline JayVii

• Contributor
    • JayVii's Page
I'm not one to point fingers at people and calling them out, but if this is happening illegally, someone should probably tell codeweavers about it.

I won't because, I don't really care and don't want to get between something here :D

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Right... Cup of Linux is NOT about controversy, that said, we can notify codeweavers privately rather than make a video... I will look into this further if time permits me to do so...

Offline GottaPlayGames

hmm... Im wondering if it was an agreement with deepin and crossover but, it could be piracy, no doubt

Offline sapphire

This is why I don't won't the get involve with some other half-baked distro.
They mixed & pre-install some many stuffs that I don't want to get & risk of piracy.
"Arch Way"?! All ways here are "My Ways!"

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
If it is demonstration software then they should be Okay... but if it is a commercial version then I NEED TO MAKE A VIDEO ABOUT IT RIGHT NOW... ON SPATRY'S CUP OF LINUX

According to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login page the AUR package is a TRIAL VERSION. If the package with DEEPIN is INDEED the FULL version, they are ILLEGALLY DISTRIBUTING IT and should be punished accordingly!

I can confirm they are shipping it with the full version. Used Deepin for some time, but couldn't get over the slow updates. Even with a closer server, the updates would go about dial up speed on 250mbps fiber. Finally dropped that in favor of Elementary OS before I made the move over to Manjaro KDE.

THOSE THIEVING THEIVERS!!

Offline JayVii

• Contributor
    • JayVii's Page
According to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login page the AUR package is a TRIAL VERSION. If the package with DEEPIN is INDEED the FULL version, they are ILLEGALLY DISTRIBUTING IT and should be punished accordingly!
I DID mean You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login AUR-Package, though

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
THOSE THIEVING THEIVERS!! 
Please take the time to write a message toYou are not allowed to view links. Register or Login about this since you confirmed it. I will also point to your thread in contacting them. Distributions should not be distributing this type software illegally. By SUPPORTING Codeweavers, you are supporting the WINE project. 

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
Please take the time to write a message toYou are not allowed to view links. Register or Login about this since you confirmed it. I will also point to your thread in contacting them. Distributions should not be distributing this type software illegally. By SUPPORTING Codeweavers, you are supporting the WINE project.

Absolutely, will do Spatry. I agree that this needs to be brought to Codeweaver's attention as they have contributed a lot to the WINE project. I just checked out their contact form and may need to do this when I get home as I am at work. They are asking for the software version number and it may be more appropriate to have a screenshot ready to show that it is the full licensed version of Cross Over so that they can pursue the project to have it removed from Deepin.

I apologize for the last phrase there. I was planning on reporting this today and was trying to be funny but doing a bad job at it. Thought it was kind of weird that it wasn't showing to be a trial version or anything on the Crossover console.

I'll confirm once this is done.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
I sent a copy of this thread so that the codeweavers team can peruse this conversation. Since this is a holiday weekend, I am sure my message I sent them will not be viewed until Tuesday. Feel free to post any screenshots here. Thanks Kalthrix.

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
I sent a copy of this thread so that the codeweavers team can peruse this conversation. Since this is a holiday weekend, I am sure my message I sent them will not be viewed until Tuesday. Feel free to post any screenshots here. Thanks Kalthrix.

Great. I have grabbed the screenshots. This is what I am finding on Crossover. It looks like they tagged the program with the Deepin logo. I am not sure if they are pirating or if they came to some kind of deal with Codeweavers. However, probably best to report it just in case they are using both the name and the full version of the application without Codeweaver's knowledge.

I've used this distribution for around 3 months previously with a slightly older version of Crossover, however it has been a part of Deepin as long as I can remember.

Working on the email now.

Found in launcher-

Main screen after launching Crossover-

About Crossover (Deepin)-

Post Merge: May 29, 2016, 07:47:52 PM

Report filed. Hopeful for the best that they are using it legitimately, but in case they aren't here's a step in the right direction.

Offline sapphire

Maybe I've to dissect that "Deepin Linux" alive to get that DE out of it. kekekeke.
"Arch Way"?! All ways here are "My Ways!"

Offline ringo32

• Contributor
seems is legitmate? possible is not illigale if they sponsor it..

Antergos For Everyone