Fedora 24 beta
Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Fedora 24 beta  (Read 2274 times)

Offline l0k1ky3

• Chat.A.Long
Fedora 24 beta
« on: May 12, 2016, 07:28:30 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login 
 Ok so Fedora 24 beta has been out for 2 days now i decided to go all out and do both a upgrade install from fedora 23 to fedora 24 beta and a fresh install on a different computer.  I think it would be fun to play around with it and tell every one what i think of it. For the record my two different systems are
AMD 9590 FX gigabyte mobo 990FX UD3 16 GB of DDR3 2400 mghz ram from Corsair GPU AMD 7770 This is the system i am runing my upgraded verson of fedora 24.
Intel i7 920 mobo Asus sabertooth x55  16 GB of DDR3 RAM 1600 mghz from Corsair GPU AMD 6670. This is the system i made my fresh install on Fedora is the only thing on both these systems.
  First i will talk about how my workstation changed when i upgraded to fedora 24 from 23. The first thing to note is how i use fedora I never have been a fan of Gnome so i spend most of my time in XFCE or just i3wm so when i upgraded my system I never bothered to check gnome out as i don't care for it. The first thing i noticed what i upgraded was better support in the UEFI Bios in the gigabyte mobo. For the longest time i did not have support for my usb 3 ports and I had to unplug and plug back in my Ethernet cord every time i restarted my system. In fedora 24 this issue has been fixed and I am happy to say i have full USB port control and Ethernet port control in this mobo something i wanted since i installed fedora on this computer back when fedora 20 first came out. That was the biggest thing i noticed in my short time playing with this system. All the programs i have installed are still working fine no bugs to report no issues yet but iam sure i will find some as this is a beta.
  As for my fresh install system and the system i am writing on right now that is more interesting. First installing was easy as it always is with fedora no hickups no issues for me but i am hearing other people complaining about having issues partitioning there drives and sharing space with other OS I did not try to multi boot so i can not explain for say whats going on all i can say is i had a very easy time installing fedora 24 beta.The only issue i had and am still have is after a restart when i first load into Gnome i get static on my screen like turning a tv on with out and cable signal this last for about 2 seconds then goes away.
  After the fresh install i set out to go to work and like always when i do a fresh linux install i go to work grabbing the tools i need to make living in Linux easier. With Fedora i always go to fedy for this task as it makes it much easier to grab every thing i need in one place. But there was my first issue and one i was expecting as this is early and a beta but fedy is not working for the fedora beta so it looks like ill have to grab all my tools my self no problem if i was not ready for that then i should not be in a beta right.
 So first program i install google-chrome-stable and it works like a charm dont forget to add the repository so you can get it updated when need be nothing hard about that. As i play around with this Fedora 24 beta i have hope i hope this is the best fedora yet and its looking good in beta I would like to get more people to try fedora.

Thanks for reading I am going to go play some more with this fedora install :D ;)

Post Merge: May 14, 2016, 11:04:36 AM

Other then the display issue for the first 5 seconds of a log in still found no bugs in the fresh install of fedora 24 and i have been looking. For at lest the way i use a computer fedora 24 seems to be working fine i have wrote some python code on a project I been working on that i will be taking to GIT soon. Still installing programs that are must haves for me such as mumble and skype but nothing seems to be giving me a hard time on the installs repository's are working fine.

As for my upgraded version its worth noting that two programs just stopped working all together UNetbootin and Fedora Live witch are both use to create ISO images on a USB stick. I dont know if this has any thing to do with the upgrade and have not tried to use these programs on my fedora 24 fresh installed system but i  will today. Its not a big deal as i can just use the terminal to create a bootable usb stick but its worth pointing out.

Post Merge: May 17, 2016, 09:15:37 AM

Ok im done with the fresh install off fedora 24 beta on this machine I'll still be running fedora 24 as my daily driver on my work machine but i feel i have enough information to conclude that yea fedora 24 will be good but it will not be great.

Call it grading on a curve but being a long time fedora user I hold the distro to very high standards. This distro should be easy to use and install with very little to no bugs and that is where Fedora 24 beta is falling short. Most of the bugs are understandable as it is a beta but the one bug that is getting me upset is display issues. I keep running into display issues any time i run a desktop environment in x11 NOT Wayland like you think you would seeing as the fedora team still don't feel wayland is ready for prime time.  Wayland is being held back and when i see wayland by default then i will claim fedora is ready for prime time because x11 is very buggy on fedora. Thats pretty much all i have to say about fedora 24 i am really upset that wayland is not the default standard by now because it dose work really well and i have had no issues with it.
"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. " Albert Camus

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Fedora 24 beta
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 02:17:07 PM »
First post edited to reflect the ISO-Watch episode on Fedora 24 which just released.
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline sapphire

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 07:38:44 AM »
I'll test Fedora 24 later on.
They've Everything Netinstall iso that I've been yearning for from Fedora so long. 
With this I can install my Xfce manually as I done from Debian Netinstall+Xfce. :D
"Arch Way"?! All ways here are "My Ways!"

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 12:15:03 PM »
Fedora 24 looks pretty impressive. Not sure about running it as a daily driver due to things potentially breaking as part it essentially being a bleeding edge distro. Overall, it has come a long way and looks very polished on both GNOME and KDE.

Props to the Red Hat team on an awesome distro! :D
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login