Manjaro improvement suggestions
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: Manjaro improvement suggestions  (Read 4099 times)

Offline Crippled

Manjaro improvement suggestions
« on: April 26, 2016, 11:52:57 AM »
I would love to see Manjaro have everything setup automatically option and to permanently enable firewall option during the install. I find that the CD/DVD drive is missing information in order for it to operate. In order to enable the firewall permanently you need to use the terminal. Having these options would help new Linux users and help people who are not comfortable or don't know how to use the terminal. 
I am a novice using Manjaro Xfce exclusively. I am a GUI person and not CLI person. I prefer not using the terminal.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Manjaro improvement suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 12:06:07 PM »
Manjaro ships with a GUI Firewall configuration utility and it is also included in the latest release of mCOLe... did you see that in the settings manager? I also mentioned it in the Manjaro beginners tour video where I show that there is a GUI firewall software.
It does not make sense to ship a firewall already running as it could potentially prevent some programs from gaining access to the internet until rules are applied by an end user. And what about people like me who have a firewall built into the router? In this case I do not need to activate a software firewall on my machine, rather, I access the internet through a VPN for added security.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline johnrmal

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 09:31:10 PM »
Why do I have to turn on the firewall everytime I turn on the computer?  On my mcole I turn it on and if I restart it shuts off.  Never mind I found it.
sudo systemctl start ufw
sudo systemctl enable ufw

« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 10:08:16 PM by johnrmal »

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 10:13:19 PM »
Why do I have to turn on the firewall everytime I turn on the computer?  On my mcole I turn it on and if I restart it shuts off.  
Here is the SOLVE... LETS make a simple shell script which will allow you to AUTO start your firewall... First create an empty file and name it FW-Start.sh THEN edit the file with a text editor and add the following information and SAVE:

SEE MY POST BELOW - SEE MY POST BELOW - SEE MY POST BELOW -

THEN make it executable... right click the file > properties > permissions > mark as executable OR in the terminal navigate to where your file is and run

Now we need go to your XFCE settings... CLICK the settings icon in your menu and go to session and startup... Click AUTOSTART tab and press ADD... give NAME, Description then under command, click the folder icon and navigate to where FW-Start.sh is saved and select it... PRESS OK when done.... YOU ARE NOW GOLDEN... NOW you may be prompted at startup for your password because you invoked systemctl and that requires elevated privs... there is no way I know of to circumvent this... any SUGGESTIONS ANYONE?

Offline johnrmal

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 11:04:09 PM »
I modified the question because I found this by itself worked.  sudo systemctl start ufw

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 12:44:22 PM »
DUH! I guess you are right... we did not have to make a shell script... you run the following commands in sequence:
Code: [Select]
sudo systemctl start ufw
THEN FORGET ABOUT IT... your firewall should always start when you reboot... I forgot about that! LOL! To ERR is HUMAN... to forgive, DIVINE!  Enable THEN Start not the other way around.

Offline MrCoe

• - Aspiring Red Hatter...That Uses Fedora
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 11:21:06 PM »
Will this approach work for arch aswell ? or would more configuration be needed ?

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 10:32:28 AM »
I imagine it should work much the same way on ARCH. Since pacman does do dependency checking you should be alright... this is assuming you do use systemd and not another init system with your arch build. It all hinges on HOW you built your arch system.

Offline MrCoe

• - Aspiring Red Hatter...That Uses Fedora
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 08:49:16 PM »
I tried it last night and it seemed to work, i find systemd more appealing than grub my only gripe with it is it tends to have trouble with encryption particularly with the manjaro install... very strange :-) 

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 04:26:13 PM »
I know encryption is an important feature that the Manjaro team has been working diligently to bring to the table. I am confident they will get the bugs worked out of it in an acceptable timeframe.