Install some lightweight games
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: Install some lightweight games  (Read 6558 times)

Offline Linux Lounge

Install some lightweight games
« on: April 25, 2016, 10:12:00 AM »
Install some lightweight linux games like nibbles or solitaire, nothing heavy like openarena of course

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
Re: Install some lightweight games
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 11:16:52 AM »
For light-weight games, I've always loved the old-style point and click games such as Beneath a Steel Sky, Day of the Tentacle, Flight of the Amazon Queen, etc. Also, like the basics like you mentioned such as Solitaire, Nibbles, Sudoku, and a few of the side-scroller games available. Also, I believe SuperTux is really light on resources if you like a Super Mario clone with Tux as the main character.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 11:26:40 AM by Kalthrix »

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 01:34:25 PM »
There is ONLY ONE small game worthy of my attention and that is any Linux clone of:
MINESWEEPER!
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
Re: Re: Install some lightweight games
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 11:29:01 PM »
There is ONLY ONE small game worthy of my attention and that is any Linux clone of:
MINESWEEPER!

LOL! I would have to agree Spatry. I do enjoy an occasional Minesweeper or like game.

Offline OrvilleG

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 01:45:47 AM »
I like mahjong, it's a pretty good game.

Offline Artex

• Posting from my Practice Room
    • ~/project/MusicEd
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 11:25:03 AM »
Some of my favorite lightweight linux games are:

Armagetron Advanced:   A tron-inspired light cycle game that has multiplayer and sophisticated AI.  (Available in the AUR - "armagetronad") $0.00

To The Moon:  An RPG that is more of a visual novel.  Make sure to bring your tissues, because you WILL cry!   (Available on Steam) $9.99 

Terraria: Not my favorite, but many people love it! 2D Minecraft (Available on  Steam) $9.99 

Super Hexagon: A one of a kind reflex game that will make you rage quit and proceed to throw up due to it's intense kaleidoscope graphics.  (Available on Steam) $2.99

These all ran well on my Dell Inspiron Laptop from 2007.  

-- Artex, fellow tinker-er --

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 11:56:49 AM »
For now Steam support is only included with mCOLe because it is a PARENT package from Manjaro. While I do not mind including some games, I cannot ignore the file size of my distribution. I do not want to release a "Bloated" distribution which contains too much software people may not want. I need more time to think on this before adding any game packs.
Some of my favorite lightweight linux games are:
Pay attention Artex, in this area, people requested I add games to my distribution, I could NEVER include any PAID Steam offerings with my release... that would be ILL-Eagle and they put SICK BIRDS in cages! Understood? LOL
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Artex

• Posting from my Practice Room
    • ~/project/MusicEd
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 09:22:58 PM »
Pay attention Artex, in this area, people requested I add games to my distribution, I could NEVER include any PAID Steam offerings with my release... that would be ILL-Eagle and they put SICK BIRDS in cages! Understood? LOL

Oh darn! I was wondering why my mCOLe install didn't include a free copy of Skyrim pre-installed and configured. I guess I will have to go back to my Lebuntu 13.37 h4x0r edition for that.  HA!

I guess I was just recommending my favorites, not necessarily implying they should be included with mCOLe!   
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 09:43:16 PM by Artex »
-- Artex, fellow tinker-er --

Offline Linux Lounge

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 01:38:22 PM »
MINESWEEPER!

It wouldn't take up to much space to include minesweeper :)

Offline edge226

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 08:38:33 PM »
Imho games are too preferential to be included on a distro. But what could be included is a nice list of games split into genre that people can look at when they first login.

Offline Linux Lounge

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 02:24:25 AM »
Imho games are too preferential to be included on a distro. But what could be included is a nice list of games split into genre that people can look at when they first login.

or perhaps a .sh file that installs some extra stuff

Offline JayVii

• Contributor
    • JayVii's Page
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 07:07:53 AM »
I am maintaining a list of free to play games for Linux, that I also link to on my website. However, I recently moved it onto an mkdocs site and have to finish that up first

Offline edge226

Re: Re: Re: Install some lightweight games
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 07:54:52 AM »
or perhaps a .sh file that installs some extra stuff

I suppose you could do a dialog in the script that asks which games you want installed from a list.

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Install some lightweight games
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2016, 06:43:29 AM »
I suppose you could do a dialog in the script that asks which games you want installed from a list.

I can't remember what it is called but I think they had a similar project for Fedora a while back to install proprietary software like flash. It was incredibly useful and I could see that really helping new users out in Manjaro or to at least provide some suggestions to get them settled in with games without actually having them installed and bloating the distribution.

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2016, 08:32:52 AM »
If you're looking to go that route, you might look at something like Lite Software that comes in Linux Lite.  Gives a nice easy way to install some common applications that don't come bundled into the system.
If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.