While trying to install a repository the keyfile cannot be retrieved
Welcome, Guest.
The Chatroom is BACK! --Spatry

Author Topic: While trying to install a repository the keyfile cannot be retrieved  (Read 93 times)

Offline lorenzo

Hi everybody,

I have recently still some issue with my Linux Mint 19.1 and can't solve it.

When I try to install repositories (no matter what kind of repos) the additional keyfiles can't be retrieved from the dedicated server.

I try to translate it as good as I can in English, because the error message was originally in German.

It returns the following error while trying to do this, after doing the normal procedure:

Code: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:lutris-team/lutris

[sudo] pass for ... :              

You are about to install and add the following PPA:
Stable releases for the Lutris client
More information: https://launchpad.net/~lutris-team/+archive/ubuntu/lutris
To continue hit Enter or Ctrl+C to abort

Executing: /tmp/apt-key-gpghome.JBmwc2wcwZ/gpg.1.sh --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 82D96E430A1F1C0F0502747E37B90EDD4E3EFAE4
gpg: Failed to receive from keyserver: Server indicates an invalid argument

---
Sorry, if the error messages are not rendered 1:1 into English, because I do not know the exact error messages in English.

And sorry for not setting this with a code marker. It seemingly did not work in the moment while writing this.

I hope this is sufficient. Lastly I can provide you with this info also:

gpg (GnuPG) 2.2.4
libgcrypt 1.8.1

lorenzo

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
I corrected your original post for you. The code marker is the icon on the toolbar with the 2 blue arrows <>. You can also mouse over the icons for a tooltip which explains what they are.

Because I no longer utilize Ubuntu based distributions, I am unable to assist with PPA errors. You can report the issue you experienced on launchpad. An alternative method of installing Lutris could be installing a SNAP package if available.

It is my hope that one of our clever members can chime in on this one and provide a better answer than the one I have given.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline lorenzo

Hi Spatry,

thanks for your correction. I tried to mark the passages that I wanted to be marked, by clicking the assigned icon, but there was no function yesterday. 

I have scrutinized through my security settings in my browser and whitelisted your site and now it works *lol*.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
The page icon in the upper left of the text format bar lets you see the actual BBcode so you know the buttons are working. Personally, I use the code view toggle when responding to most messages on this board.

Offline lorenzo

OK, thanks.

Yesterday the icon section was seperated from the text input.
I've wondered but had no clue :D

Now everything works. Some browser apps are really sensitive :D

If someone has also such an issue, the app Trace was at this time the culprit.

I have whitelisted the whole page now and everything works.

Here some test with the "code-button"-function
test-code: sudo apt install -y

Now it works :)

Offline fraterchaos

• Mandelbrot Metal Mayhem!
  • Staff Member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity
it's been ages since I have used any ubuntu based distro, so I may be wrong or out of date or something...
and I realize you have said you want to use the CLI as much as possible, so perhaps you won't really like this advice but...

It seems to me, if I remember correctly, that there was a method for adding PPAs via the software center GUI... if all else fails, you may want to try that

(assuming installing the PPA and the software is more important than relying entirely on the CLI at all times)
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline lorenzo

Hi fraterchaos,

yes, that's right.

I am going to learn the CLI much more to cope any issues that may arise, better.

I do not know if this is an issue with my GPG installation, because reinstallment did not help and the adding once worked flawlessly some months ago and now something strange happened that it cannot download no keyfiles for the PPAs anymore, when I issue the command in my Linux Mint 19.1 for it:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:lutris-team/lutris

Now it is more complicated and that is one of the reasons I am aspiring to learn the CLI here in Linux. I have now to issue this command and this works as a workaround for me right now:

gpg --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys (here then the obligatory key number)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Thanks for taking the time to share the workaround you discovered, Lorenzo. This is in the true spirit of why we are here, hopefully others will benefit from this. There may be another option coming to light once enough eyes land on this topic.

Offline lorenzo

You are welcome. I try to solve this for the benefit of all.

I have no clue why I have to do this workaround right now. I hope someone has a solution. This gradient is too high for me in the moment to fix this. I have looked for it but found nothing really relevant or my search engine keywords were sucks :D

What I wrote:
Either I'll have to add the key for each repository manually or have to fiddle around with the GUI and CLI.

With the GUI I'll have to download the desired key manually and import it then by hand. When I do not know where to download it, I am screwed :D

Really time consuming. But I take it with humor.

And as far as I understood this situation, there must be an issue with GPG itself, but do not know for sure. Because the normal command to retrieve a keyfile was this some months ago:
gpg --keyserver https://keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys {fingerprint}
and not suddenly this here I found as workaround in the net:

gpg --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys {fingerprint}

Really strange behavior. Maybe some of you Linux Pros can solve this.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
If you are really feeling adventurous and want to really learn what makes Linux tick, try following my CLI Friendly series, the last episodes covered Arch Linux installation. With Arch (or any derivatives thereof) you will NOT NEED PPA, instead, you get the arch user repo which allows you to install packages not in the main distribution repositories... Using an AUR helper will enable you to download a snapshot and compile the software on the fly. CONVENIENT! One weekend with Arch (and the WIKI) taught me more about computers than 10 years of learning on Micro$haft!

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
One weekend with Arch (and the WIKI) taught me more about computers than 10 years of learning on Micro$haft!
well spatry there's a reason for that microshaft never wanted you too know what there doing but follow along with the rest of the sheep lol. :o ;D
The ONLY reason to discuss Windows here is how to clean them, I prefer Parted and heavy wiping so they don't streak.  ;D
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Use a sledgehammer on the Windows! Then you will really see right through them!

Offline lorenzo

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If you are really feeling adventurous and want to really learn what makes Linux tick, try following my CLI Friendly series, the last episodes covered Arch Linux installation. With Arch (or any derivatives thereof) you will NOT NEED PPA, instead, you get the arch user repo which allows you to install packages not in the main distribution repositories... Using an AUR helper will enable you to download a snapshot and compile the software on the fly. CONVENIENT! One weekend with Arch (and the WIKI) taught me more about computers than 10 years of learning on Micro$haft!

Hi Spatry,

started watching your "CLI Friendly series". 

Currently I am at 

06 CLI Friendly: Arch Linux Install 2019

I am going to install your edition of Manjaro Linux in my VM for testing it and learning more with this CLI stuff.

Because of the reason that I have no UEFI BIOS, it would be suitable for my computer to test your version out, because otherwise I would not be able to run the original Manjaro ISO.