Korora
Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Korora  (Read 1658 times)

Offline Coastie

Korora
« on: October 11, 2015, 03:21:00 PM »
While browsing distro reviews, I found a new one to me, Korora. Haven't found many current reviews on it but thought it was interesting.

Fedora was my second unsuccessful attempt at Linux in the dark ages before running back to Windows. I had tried Point & Click Linux (SimplyMEPIS 2.4.26) on my own then Linux guru at a Linux LUG convinced me to use Fedora. Big mistake. :-\

Any opinions on Korora? You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Here's a couple of reviews I found on the newest version:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 03:26:58 PM by Coastie »
Left Mac OS X for Linux in Jan 2014.

Offline Bendo

• Forum Staff
  • Staff Member
Re: Korora
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 11:30:40 PM »
Startpage:
Korora is 100% free. 
About page:
Korora is a Fedora Remix, meaning it ships packages from the default Fedora repositories but also a number of other packages (often ones that Fedora cannot ship directly). For new users, Fedora can be tricky because it doesn't include many of the extras that users often need, things like media codecs and some proprietary software. This is one area where Korora can help.

Well Fedora doesn't ship these codecs because they aren't '100%' free, so that's clearly a contradiction.
Also is this the main reason for starting a new distro in 2015?
That you have to enter 2 commands to install multimedia codecs in Fedora?

Fedora has an incredibly well organized and competent team, is backed by RedHat etc.
To move from this product to some respin, personally I would need some really good reason.

Offline Coastie

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 12:07:58 AM »
... To move from this product to some respin, personally I would need some really good reason.

Would Korora be more stable than Fedora? Less "bleeding edge"? Would it be correct to say Korora is to Fedora is what Manjaro is to Arch?

Is it correct that it is not exactly LTS or rolling? My understanding is on a 6 month release cycle and you can upgrade without reinstalling. ???

Offline TheFlagCourier

• FOSS Ronin
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 02:57:55 AM »
The problem with those assumptions are just that, they are assumptions.
Manjaro is fairly stable compared to arch because it clones the Arch repos into it's own, and puts them in different branches. (Arch's Stable = Manjaro's Testing?) Unless Korora does something similar, which it does not, it is the same as Fedora's release cycle - making it immediately prone to the same issues.

As for the "LTS vs Rolling" - It's closer to Ubuntu's non-LTS release cycle, and certainly not rolling (aka: bleeding edge ; Fedora Rawhide):
The Fedora Project releases a new version of Fedora approximately every 6 months and provides updated packages (maintenance) to these releases for approximately 13 months. This allows users to "skip a release" while still being able to always have a system that is still receiving updates.

-You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

And yeah... If they ship Proprietary software, their distribution is not "100%" free (Libre OR Gratis) - they are shipping binary packages and unlicensed codecs. This not only may violate the license they release under, but also specific state and international laws on copyright and licensing. (There is a legitimate reason Fedora does not include such things, and it's on both a legal and financial ground)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 03:10:24 AM by TheFlagCourier »

Offline Coastie

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 10:58:52 AM »
Thanks guys, the information you are providing is what I was hoping to get by making my original post.

Funny that it does not look like any Korora or Fedora users are responding.