can you save me from Win7 ??
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: can you save me from Win7 ??  (Read 5288 times)

Offline dougchambers

can you save me from Win7 ??
« on: October 07, 2015, 07:49:02 PM »
I turn for help in ways to improve my frame rate and system performance on linux when gaming. The system I built myself ... Amd 4ghz quad core, 16gb 1600mhz ram and msi Amd r9 270g graphics card. BUT I just can not find the performance I would get when using win7.
Help with any softwear I am missing to help increase performance ... is there one distro better then another for gaming ... is it my hard wear choice ....???
I turned my gaming system over to linux after using linux on an old laptop I bought for £20 on gumtree and then on a Lenovo thinkpad t60 that I use now. I would very much like to keep gaming with linux BUT the performance I get from Win7 is calling me back.

Offline TheFlagCourier

• FOSS Ronin
Re: can you save me from Win7 ??
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 01:47:55 AM »
TLDR: Try both the open source driver, and the proprietary driver for your graphics card.Also, try out SteamOS or be prepared to make a few changes to your current OS. Gaming under Linux can take some dedication to set up to personal specifications.

I don't believe software will increase your performance, but rather potentially bloat down your disk drive. Though, if you want a system built exclusively for gaming, you could possibly benefit from using SteamOS - It's the best bet for hardware and software compatibility, without manually tweaking your system. It does have some drawbacks, like a super-simplistic User Interface, as well as only using it's own repositories.

If you plan on gaming on Linux, without relying on a one-stop solution, you're going to need to consider a few things: Manual Configurations (game and System), Game-breaking bugs (Arch's Wiki has a good article on known bugfixes), Disabling some features, etc. A good distribution to base it on would be either Ubuntu LTS (Xubuntu could work or Lubuntu to start with the bare minimums) and then remove any unneeded applications, or Arch and build from the ground up (Architect Linux should be an easy way to get started with this, though with arch, prepare for an ever-prescient uphill battle.)

Linux excels on both aging hardware, and on servers/mainframes (it's real purpose). Newer hardware can sometimes be prone to both bugs and what I like to call "soft-throttling" (or the throttling of performance - intentional or not - through early-development or while a function is still in the works.) So that may be one little reason why you perceive a disparity.

The hardware listed isn't extreme though it should be exceptional for most games; I have no idea what kind of AMD processor you have (APU [A10/A8/A6] or CPU [FX]). Bear in mind that if you have a dedicated GPU, an FX chip will outperform an A10 - which is almost equivalent to a low-end i5 or an i3 processor from Intel.

The RAM, which I'm presuming by the "1600" is DDR3, you could upgrade that to DDR3 1866 or even higher (provided your motherboard supports it). However, I doubt this is the bottleneck.

As for the Dedicated Graphics Card, this is probably where the main issue is going to come into play. You are going to have to use Catalyst Drivers vs the open source one included with your distribution - and even then fine-tuning may be needed... Give it a shot, but beware that Catalyst on Linux is highly neglected. They are making a new driver, but it'll only be useful on the newest cards. I believe SteamOS may be able to help mitigate this out-of-the-box, but don't take my word for it.

Some other useful things you can/should probably look into (most can be found on Arch Linux Wiki and be applied to various environments - some are just simple questions you can search on the web for):
  • Swappiness Value
  • Niceness Values
  • Custom  Session for Steam
  • Differences between native support and porting
  • Restrictions with WINE / PlayOnLinux (for non-linux games)
  • Properly Configuring a system for use with an SSD
  • Why you shouldn't use "Green" or "Economy" HDDs (They can "feature" a "pause function" that can lock-up reads/writes)
  • Why some games preform horribly under Linux and/or OpenGL, while others don't. (See native support vs porting)
I'm also sure there may be more you can do, but try some of these first and post again with an update (worked or did not). Also, if you need any help - you can jump on the mumble server or use the site's chat box function. I can't guarantee a presence, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Offline JayVii

• Contributor
    • JayVii's Page
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 06:28:21 AM »
The issue here probably is the GPU, so i'll agree with TheFlagCourier on that. Catalyst (AMD's proprietary driver) performs generally bad. I'm in the same boat as you are, but my "AMD Radeon HD 5550" actually performs quite okay-ish on most games (especially VALVE games, as they do proper porting).

You could try to use the opensource driver as well, but eventhough, that one almost cought up, it's not quite there and usually gives you worse performance than the proprietary solution.

using SSD's could potentially increase performance, but the elephant in the room is that GPU for sure.
I wouldn't worry too much about "swapiness", as 16GB of RAM usually doesn't reach the swap-level anyway :P

Using a low footprint distribution and DE/WM, might help increasing performance, but it probably won't do wonders (i see a 5 FPS (+/- 3) performance increase when using fluxbox instead of KDE/kwin).

There are certain things that can be done with the kernel, in order to improve performance, but i'm not too much into that section, sorry.

Offline dougchambers

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 11:34:37 AM »
Thanks for the replies ... down loading SteamOs as writing this.

There is a lot of good advice regarding GPU drivers, normaly just go for the proprietary driver, using the opensauce driver never crossed my mind. I have moved away from an Ubuntu distro because I do feel it gets a bit bogged down. So now learning how to use Manjaro and Ark Repos on my laptop, if SteamOS is a no go, then Manjaro next .... I shall NOT give up.

Offline c00ter

• Elite Member
  • I'm an Alaskan! Where's my darn flag!
Re: Re: can you save me from Win7 ??
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 08:30:16 PM »
Thanks for the replies ... down loading SteamOs as writing this.

There is a lot of good advice regarding GPU drivers, normaly just go for the proprietary driver, using the opensauce driver never crossed my mind. I have moved away from an Ubuntu distro because I do feel it gets a bit bogged down. So now learning how to use Manjaro and Ark Repos on my laptop, if SteamOS is a no go, then Manjaro next .... I shall NOT give up.

Manjaro defaults to a Steam client installed and ready for you to use out of the box. Install Manjaro, do not try adding their reps to some unstated almost certainly not compatible distribution. If you want Manjaro, install Manjaro. If you want Arch, go back to Windows. Seriously. Arch is not recommended for users new to Linux. And it is 'Arch' not 'Ark,' mmkay? :)

Regards.

Offline JayVii

• Contributor
    • JayVii's Page
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 07:23:21 AM »
If you want Manjaro, install Manjaro. If you want Arch, go back to Windows. Seriously. Arch is not recommended for users new to Linux.

Common, let peeople try for themselves! Surely, it might become an utter, frustrating mess when a new user directly jumps onto ArchLinux, however I personally don't think it's a good thing to tell them not to try in the first place ;)
I agree with you though, that he MOST LIKELY will not like it or can handle it without any linux-experience.
But again, let people make their own decisions :)

Offline TheFlagCourier

• FOSS Ronin
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 02:26:47 PM »
Indeed, let him decide how he wants to tackle it. Anyways, he could always use Architect / EvoLution installers to get a good base up and running.

Offline Synrgy87

• Contributor
  • There Ain't no Party like an Old School Party.
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 04:13:08 PM »
Arch is an excellent learning tool for new users. not every new user is a technically impaired windows slave you know.
:)

Offline c00ter

• Elite Member
  • I'm an Alaskan! Where's my darn flag!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 05:55:01 PM »
I run Arch. I'm trying to help this guy solve his problem. While for the most part I agree with other posters, the man just wants to improve his gaming rig's frame rates. While it is nice to know a lot more about Linux, it is not necessary to learn the Arch way in order to improve his gaming rig's frame rates. Arch's kernel, by the way, is a stock vanilla, general-purpose kernel. It has not been optimized for desktop performance. Manjaro's, on the other hand, uses schedulers such as a modified BFQ to provide a lot more *snap* since it is a desktop-oriented distribution. No, I do not regard Arch as a suitable tool to solve this problem.  You don't need a self-assembled tree-grown wood-handled, forged from iron sledgehammer that you mined, milled, cast, and assembled to drive a 4-penny nail. That would be rather stupid.

I am a complete GNU/Linux beginner. Should I use Arch?
This question has had much debate. Arch is targeted more towards advanced GNU/Linux users, but some people feel that Arch is a good place to start for the motivated novice. If you are a beginner and want to use Arch, just be warned that you must be willing to invest significant time into learning a new system, as well as accept the fact that Arch is fundamentally designed as a DIY (Do-It-Yourself) distribution. It is the user who assembles the system and controls what it will become. Before asking for help, do your own independent research by Googling, searching the forum (and reading the rest of these FAQs) and searching the superb documentation provided by the Arch Wiki. There is a reason these resources were made available to you in the first place. Many thousands of volunteered hours have been spent compiling this excellent information.
Recommended reading: The Arch Linux Beginners' guide.
[/color]

Offline Dodger

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2015, 11:21:24 AM »
Are these games native to windows? If so, then you may never get the performance that you would get out of windows 7. You may have to dual boot windows and linux (worst case scenario (not really)).

Offline TheFlagCourier

• FOSS Ronin
Re: Re: can you save me from Win7 ??
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 02:36:05 PM »
Are these games native to windows? If so, then you may never get the performance that you would get out of windows 7. You may have to dual boot windows and linux (worst case scenario (not really)).
Well, he could also go a bit more advanced and use KVM's hardware pass-through... Granted, a bit more advanced than just using Wine or dual-booting.