Kinda New to this
Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Kinda New to this  (Read 1535 times)

Offline Auronold

Kinda New to this
« on: June 14, 2015, 10:41:19 PM »
Hello everyone,
I was in a semester's worth of Unix classes back about 4 years ago using Debian 6.. now I don't know anything so I'm back to square one I'd say. This time around I'm not going to school to learn, just trying to do it myself like most I'm sure of you have done. The company I'm working for will be looking for a system admin for RedHat at some point and I'm very serious about getting trained up. Now I've always had an interest in Unix but before this company, I haven't had the time. Now I have the time and a tangible goal in front of me that would be almost guaranteed if I got on it.
I went blindly into it however and installed CentOS 7 on my laptop here since I know it's identical to RedHat.. and thats where I realized I didn't know squat really once I logged into this command prompt. I feel a bit lost now and maybe I should've considered a different approach altogether but at the same time I feel like this is where I need to be and just need a resource to learn from on top of the community. Anyone have such resources or personal recommendations for what I'm trying to achieve here?
What I already have right now is Harley Hahn's Guide to Unix and Linux and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login as two ways to go but I'm not certain they will help me with this just yet. Maybe I need a few steps back?
I know one of you will be able to push me in the right direction as I really want to do this and I know I can learn this.

Thanks for reading and hope to hear soon

ps. I only threw this here because Im short on time tonight, work tomorrow x.x so forgives if I seemed lazy.

Offline Auronold

Re: Kinda New to this
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 07:01:10 AM »
Thanks for some guidance!
I managed to realize that I missed something on the install screen, as I must have left the Software to minimal. One day I may do that but right now may not be a good time haha. So now I at least have some support beams up and feel less lost looking at the screen. 

Offline fishmanluvslinux

• Spatry's Biggest Lunatic!
  • Contributor
  • People Are More Important Than Software!
    • Fishman Loves Linux
Re: Kinda New to this
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 09:27:53 AM »
Howdy! What I usually do in your position is search on YouTube for videos related to this Distro or use the suggestions that Linux4Today put out. Look at some of our profiles for links to our YT channels and some us may have made those videos already. Personally, I am not a sys admin type so I stick with Home Users.
" I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER" - HANNIBAL SMITH-THE A-TEAM (1983-1987)