Virtualbox FIX
Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Virtualbox FIX  (Read 3367 times)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Virtualbox FIX
« on: March 25, 2014, 07:20:34 PM »
Per Matthew's Instructions:

Boot live image in virtualvox and enter the number 3 in the boot options and press enter.
You will boot into the command line. Type in manjaro and press enter. Type in setup and press enter. Go through the CLI install process as usual.

Once you reboot after installation select the "failsafe terminal" (gear icon) option then enter username and password. You will be presented a terminal where you may issue the following command...

Code: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
sudo xfconf-query -c xfwm4 -p "/general/sync_to_vblank" -s false
once done type

Code: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
sudo reboot
Once rebooted you can select "XFCE sessoion" and login to the desktop.  I have not had a chance to test this out yet but will do so as soon as I can... If any of you try this please report below! Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 07:46:25 PM by Spatry »
"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have constructed... The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the FORCE" -Darth Vader

Offline Matthew_Moore

• YouTUBE Show Host
  • Contributor
  • The Other Guy. :)
Re: Virtualbox FIX
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 07:32:31 PM »
When you enter the Failsafe terminal I would recommend  elevating to root using the su command. that way this change will apply to all users.  just to be safe. I have a lot going on right now.  so Be patient guys. I will update those .ISO's as soon as I can.  But this work around works.  Tom Prokes  Allowed me to RDP  into one of his Business class machines and gave me Free rein with Virtual box so I could work out this problem. So thanks to Tom for giving me that access. without it you guys would still be waiting for a fix.  :) 
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 07:41:47 PM by Matthew_Moore »

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 07:47:47 PM »
Thanks for mentioning that Matthew. I updated the codes above to include "sudo". Why I did not think of that before is beyond me! I need another cup of coffee! Cheers!
"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have constructed... The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the FORCE" -Darth Vader

Offline Matthew_Moore

• YouTUBE Show Host
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 01:40:45 PM »
Alright guys.  The .ISO's have all been updated once again.  VirtualBox is now working. All the recent updates are included. Everything should be good to go now. I shouldn't have to make anymore changes until the Next version of Manjaro comes out.  :)     Let me know how it works out.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 07:38:57 PM »
Great, I downloaded the latest iso and I was able to get into the desktop in live mode. I ran the CLI installer and when I was at the MDM greeter it would not log me into the desktop... I had to try a few times until it let me in. I removed MDM and replaced it with SLIM on my system. I suggest you try it for future releases.... MDM is buggy.

I Wanted to review your distro today but I hot tied up with work now it is a little late so I will film my review sometime tomorrow. Good Job, Matthew...

Offline Matthew_Moore

• YouTUBE Show Host
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 07:52:07 PM »
Yeah. if you actually type out the user name rather then clicking on it, it seems to work.  but MDM is crap.  But Slim kept breaking on me.

Offline Klyde

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 11:36:25 AM »
Matthew,

The new ISO will that be on your YouTube page dealing with your spin of Manjaro?

Klyde

Offline Klyde

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 11:45:09 AM »
Found it, In your Manjaro page here on this Forum sub forum. Here's hoping it will work for me as it has for others

Offline Matthew_Moore

• YouTUBE Show Host
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 12:25:35 PM »
All the links, here on cupoflinux, on youtube, G-Drive. and Soon on sourceforge have all been updated to the new .ISO's  any one you download will be up to date with these fixes.

Offline Klyde

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 04:42:05 PM »
Hey Matthew;

I am up an running your 'spin' now through VB. First time around I used the GUI to install it and that did not do so well. So I started all over and used the CLI, which i found to be a whole lot easier to use the the Graphical User Interface/Installer.

I am finding some lag time betwixt closing a program and when it actually closes, but that may be due to the Vurtual Box? Also a lag time if i open more then one tab. Again it could be due to my running this in Virtual Box, ??

I use Thunderebird as my default email client. I have not been able to set up Thunderbird here. I will try again later.

At the moment i am glad I have it running, the spin that is.

Offline Klyde

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 12:44:02 AM »
Hi Matthew'

I me Klyde again. This may not b specifically in the right spot but since it happened on a Vitual Box, I figured why not. This is a copy of the thread I posted in the Manjaro Forum. I will post it also in the 'regular' manjaro folder. If you want to move it or whatever o ahead, and thanks.

"Hello, I am new here so bear with me.

I am running my "manjaro-BY-MM" a respin of Manjaro on a virtual box.

I wanted to download and install the 'Opera' web browser. I attempted but ended getting an "Authitication Failed" message. I thought I had done it correctly so i tried it again, and the same message,

I tried to install Chromum and got the same message "Authitication Failed"

Can some one explain this and how I can rectify it so if i choose to install Opera or Chromium or some other program this won't happen again."