Games and Editing software on linux
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: Games and Editing software on linux  (Read 3007 times)

Offline poad42

Games and Editing software on linux
« on: March 24, 2015, 07:29:11 AM »
I am a light gamer I play Fifa and battlefield 4. I also edit videos for my YouTube channel. I use Vegas pro 13 for that. I want to switch to Linux. Can you help me get the above Programmes to work on linux.
P.S I don't want to run Windows in a virtual machine.

Offline Bendo

• Forum Staff
  • Contributor
Re: Games and Editing software on linux
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 12:59:21 PM »
There is windows software and there is Linux software.
Windows software doesn't run on Linux and the other way around.
You can use a compatibility layer like WINE to run Windows software on Linux, but even though it's not as limited as an emulator it still has its limits, especially when we talk about video editing or gaming.

The best way is always to look for some replacement, if you want a really professional video editing software for Linux you should check out lightworks
https://www.lwks.com/

For basic editing kdenlive and openshot are very popular.

If you wanna use Vegas Pro with wine, I'm not an expert on WINE but Spatry is, maybe he can give you his opinion.
If you really rely on certain Windows software have you thought about a simple dual boot?

Offline JayVii

• Contributor
    • JayVii's Page
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 01:32:15 PM »
Battlefield 4 doesn't work in WINE (HERE), so you might look for an alternative.
Most FiFa-Games seem to work reasonably well in WINE (HERE), although some are not listed, so it's hit'n'miss.

As far as Sony Vegas Pro goes, Version 4, 5, 8 & 10 seem to work (HERE). Although, from a performance standpoint, I'd highly suggest going with a native application. You can Search WineHQ and PlayOnLinux for WINE-compatible windows-software (:

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 04:25:36 PM »
Sony Vegas does not run on Linux. As a former Vegas user myself, I have switched to Kdenlive and I believe it to be every bit as powerful as Vegas, the only caveat is that you have to manually make your effects. I can say that Kdenlive renders HD Video MUCH FASTER than Vegas does and it's workflow is acceptable once you get used to it... I have a whole video series on Kdenlive which has helped lots of people.

For your games, install Playonlinux and use the script to install your steam client. You may be surprised to see how many of your Windows games you can get working. It WILL NOT run all of them though, but it keeps getting better year after year.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!