Game-Studios killed off by EA
Welcome, Guest.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Click the CHAT button above for connection details. Show up early, seating is limited, late entries will not be registered.

Author Topic: Game-Studios killed off by EA  (Read 8449 times)

Offline JayVii

• Contributor
    • JayVii's Page
Game-Studios killed off by EA
« on: March 21, 2015, 12:47:00 PM »
Well, I'm not sure if this post belongs here, as it isn't necessarily about games, but GameStudio's! Also, this has not much to do with linux-gaming per say (I think none of them even developed games for linux, but they may have, if they still existed).

For a better understanding, you should first read about the difference between You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.
Anyway, here is a list of great gamestudios (and game-series) EA first bought and then killed off. Basically, i'm only translating You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (german) video here:
  • MAXIS - just 2 weeks ago, EA killed off "MAXIS", which was the studio behind the "Sims" series and "SimCity". Their last two games had not so much success, which is probably the reasoning for EA to turn off the lights. (2015)
  • ORIGIN Systems - 1978, EA bought the developers of games like the "Ultima" series & "Wing Commander". "Ultima Online" was so much of a success, that EA only wanted them to develop RPG's from then on. The main-developer and founder of ORIGIN Systems disagreed, left EA and took half the developers with him, which ultimately doomed the studio (2004).
  • BULLFROG - 1995, EA bought the studio behind "Populous", "Sindicate", "Theme Park", "Magic Carpet" and "Dungeon Keeper". The founder and main-dev left right away, which is why they only made a bunch of sequels afterwards. 17 years after BULLFROG was founded, EA killed it off. (2004)
  • PHENOMIC - the developers of "Spellforce" got bought by EA, since it and its sequel were really popular world-wide. Under EA, PHENOIC developed "BattleForge" (which I personally played for a long time, until it got closed) and some small, crappy browsergames like "C&C: Tiberium Alliances". EA closed the studio soon afterwards. (2003)
  • PANDEMIC - In the 90's, Pandemic got really popular because of games like "Star Wars: Battlefront", "Mercenaries" and "Destroy All Humans". When their game "The Saboteur" flopped, EA killed them off, only 1 year after they bought them. (2009)
  • DANGERCLOSE - Founded as "Dreamworks Interactive" in 1995, they produced "Medal of Honor" & "War in Middleearth". In 2000, EA merged them with "Westwood Studios" and named them "Dangerclose". They went on developing the newest "Command & Conquer" and "Medal of Honor" Games, which didn't gain too much interest and popularity overall, which is why EA closed the newly found studio. (2013)
  • WESTWOOD - As mentioned above, "Westwood" got merged with "Dreaworks Interactive" in 2000. However, they also produced a few titles on their own: "Bladerunner", "Nox" and "Lance of Lore". The original devolopers of the "Command & Conquer" series got killed of in the making of "C&C: Tiberium Twilight". (2003)
  • BLACKBOX - The makers of the great "Need for Speed" Series and "Tony Hawk: Skate" got closed by EA after their recent games flopped. (2013)
  • MYTHIC - The makers of "The Dark Age of Camlot" got bought by EA in 2001, right after their game proved to be a total hit. EA saw their Chances and made MYTHIC develop "Warhammer Online", which should have been EA's success over Blizzard's "World of Warcraft". It turned out to be no success, which is why they only were allowed to develop games like the new "Dungeon Keeper" mobile game. Soon after, EA killed off, yet another great studio. (2014)

What do you guys think? What's the reason for this? Many people might say "EA" is the devil and to some degree, they are right: EA surely is one of the most ruthless publishers. However, "Louis Castle", founder of "Westwoods Studio" claimed, that their games used to be developed under time pressure and tight money, which resulted in higher motivation. When EA bought them, they simply would throw money at them, which resulted in less pressure and Westwood thinking about thousand new possibilities, which then ended up in a totally unstructured and confusing game.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Game-Studios killed off by EA
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 02:10:07 PM »
I recognise a lot of game companies. EA is evil! They care about the almighty dollar and do not care about the consumer... Luckily they do not have a monopoly on gaming!
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 03:30:52 PM »
especially with the release of city skylines which has had raving reviews across the board and eveyone even said way better then sim city
Linux is the world of computing were you make your own rules and decisions and not by some corporate aholes!!!!!

Offline TheFlagCourier

• FOSS Ronin
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 05:54:33 PM »
Just one reason I never used the Origin game distribution software (though there were/are plenty of other reasons to hate it...) I won't touch much of anything with an EA logo plastered on the front these days; I actually welcome the Indie movement (when the developers hold the right values/make an interesting game.)

Online aDewil

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 04:39:32 PM »
add these studios too in EA kill list.
check link behind:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
that game is really good one and one of my favourites too.