Mageia supported DE?
Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Mageia supported DE?  (Read 2941 times)

Offline lcRONOS

• I will run all the Operating Systems!
  • Staff Member
Mageia supported DE?
« on: March 08, 2015, 03:00:59 AM »
So I'm replacing FreeBSD with Mageia since JayVii seems to like it well enough.  Usually distros have a "default DE" like OpenSuSe and KDE, where a lot of effort is put in one specific DE.  Does anyone know what it is for Mageia?  I like to have to most integrated experience possible, if no one knows then I may go back to Xfce for a while on it, and enjoy KDE on my laptop. Though I may use KDE. Hmm, decisions, decisions... LOL

Oh and forgive me if it's an easy find, Google is not your friend at 3:00 AM LOL
HP Pavilion 15t-p000, UEFI quad boot Gentoo Linux, macOS 10.12, FreeBSD 11, and Windows 10; Dell Inspiron 660, UEFI triple boot FreeBSD 10.3, OpenSuSe LEAP 42.1, and Windows 10

Offline Bendo

• Forum Staff
  • Staff Member
Re: Re: Mageia supported DE?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 05:20:08 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

There are several to choose from.

I guess that's why he asked ;)

Offline JayVii

• Staff Member
    • JayVii's Page
Re: Mageia supported DE?
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 09:16:20 AM »
KDE & Gnome are the defaults :)
However, as I mentioned, they support multiple DE's in their installer and all of these look kinda basic, but very clean OOTB.

Offline lcRONOS

• Staff Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 12:58:11 PM »
Okay, so it's not like say OpenSuSe where KDE is like the pride and joy, or Manjaro and Xfce.  Then I'll probably just go with KDE.
HP Pavilion 15t-p000, UEFI quad boot Gentoo Linux, macOS 10.12, FreeBSD 11, and Windows 10; Dell Inspiron 660, UEFI triple boot FreeBSD 10.3, OpenSuSe LEAP 42.1, and Windows 10

Offline MadmanRB

• The moose has the sandwich!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 11:41:48 PM »
Like openSUSE Mageia seems to look and work best with KDE, though like openSUSE its gnome version is pretty decent as well

Offline lcRONOS

• Staff Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 08:47:51 PM »
Well I was going to install Mageia, but the UEFI support is not quite where I feel it should be yet.  Perhaps once version 5 hits stable I'll give it a go, but at the moment I can't get the installer in UEFI mode.  So Fedora here I come LOL.

Offline Arcanos

• Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 11:20:50 AM »
Centos 7 has superb EFI support. With my HP craptop that came with windows 8, I was abke to install it without deleting the platform keys or enabling legacy mode.
I've seen the light, it was green flashy and attached to a network interface card.

Offline lcRONOS

• Staff Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 11:33:08 PM »
I decided to go with Fedora and use Gnome 3 (please put down your pitchforks.....) This will end up being my gaming rig.  If I can switch to working Saturday mornings then I'll start joining in for Game Night.
Got to say Gnome 3 is improving a lot.  So far no need for additional extensions, it has the ones I would immediately add in by default now.  I'll probably try to change the stupid settings thing near activities to something more useful like a quick launch (kind of redundant though...)