openra installation instructions for debian
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: openra installation instructions for debian  (Read 3776 times)

Offline Leck

• www.Lecksite.com
    • Lecksite
openra installation instructions for debian
« on: March 07, 2015, 08:05:21 AM »

these are installation instructions for openra in debian.  this may work in all systems which install .deb packages by default, but it's mainly focused on debian.  i just installed debian jessie a few days ago and i ran into an problem while installing openra, hence the walkthrough.  

quick install instructions are

1. download file from website.  
2. install with dpkg -i
3. download and install missing dependency packages
4. run apt-get -f install

if you didn't understand the instructions above here is the longer explanation (for beginners)

i downloaded the openra .deb package from the openra website http://www.openra.net/download/ (debian/ubuntu release not playtest) and i used

sudo dpkg -i /home/leck/Downloads/openra_release.20141029_all.deb

(if it's a newer version you downloaded, make sure to change the above terminal command to match the exact file name you downloaded)

to install it.  upon installing the file, it told me it was missing the dependency libmono-system-windows-forms4.0-cil

i had to download that file from https://www.debian.org/distrib/packages as you have to do with all dependancy packages not in the repository (synaptic and apt-get) you can find on the official website.  after downloading and installing with

sudo dpkg -i /home/leck/Downloads/libmono-system-windows-forms4.0-cil

i had to run

sudo apt-get -f install

to get it to fix the dependances, and it worked.  

www.Lecksite.com/leck.html

advanced programmer

Offline Leck

• www.Lecksite.com
    • Lecksite
Re: openra installation instructions for debian
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 06:20:53 PM »

thank you for the comment.  even though i don't own this forum, i appreciate comments here nevertheless, even critisizm replies.  

as i understand gdebi is another option to install, and they are attempting to change aptitude to take over what dpkg does.  

for people who are not familiar aptitude works for remote package and dependancy fetching and dpkg works for local packet installation.  gdebi doesn't work as often as apt and dpkg, which is why i use the seperate commands instead of gdebi.  whenever you add more automation there is the potential for bugs, and gdebi is a good example as i've experienced more bugs using gdebi.  

bottom line is you can use any of the ways as long as it works, however i suggest aptitutde and dpkg rather then gdebi because it's easy to break debian where you need to reinstall.  
www.Lecksite.com/leck.html

advanced programmer