Do you still play MineCraft?
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: Do you still play MineCraft?  (Read 7631 times)

Offline Deckard Cain

• The wonderful wizard of Trisquel
  • Staff Member
  • Stay a while, and *nix!
Do you still play MineCraft?
« on: January 05, 2015, 01:47:36 PM »
Hello Everyone;

During the beginning of my "Sys admin" "career" one of the first game servers that I ever ran was MineCraft. Not the MineCraft you know and love today, the MineCraft from back in the in-dev days, when getting into a minecart would throw you across the universe and beyond, and possibly kill you. When pigs were cute walking death. When skeletons could hits in walls and kill you. When stability was not in its vocab and when servers were few and FAR between. MineCraft will always hold a place in my heart (no matter what they've done to it *shivers*). My question to you guys is, do you still play minecraft? Is it even still popular. It's been a LONG while since I've played or been in the community. I heard a while ago that Bucket and Spigot were shut down due to some copyright claims :S

~DeckardCain
Stay a while, and *nix!

Offline tungdiil

Re: Do you still play MineCraft?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 05:29:28 PM »
play on version 1.6.4 since bukkit projct is down .. stupid dmca (takedown request by 1 developer) .... but yeah something to be expected when you place your servers in america ... ok thats also because they had licensing problems and so on ..
but yeah ow we are still on 1.6.4 and dont know how to replace the bukkit server with one server with equal servermods ... like multiverse (all multiverse plugins installed) worldguard (dependency: worldedit) and perissions ex and that essecial command mod   and these are only the one we really need

but still the server is working and as the bukkit 1.8 project has set their servers outside the area the usses hand can reach thy can try to bring theis project back to life but hat will take time

Offline TheFlagCourier

• FOSS Ronin
Re: Re: Do you still play MineCraft?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 08:57:32 PM »
play on version 1.6.4 since bukkit projct is down .. stupid dmca (takedown request by 1 developer) .... but yeah something to be expected when you place your servers in america ... ok thats also because they had licensing problems and so on ..
but yeah ow we are still on 1.6.4 and dont know how to replace the bukkit server with one server with equal servermods ... like multiverse (all multiverse plugins installed) worldguard (dependency: worldedit) and perissions ex and that essecial command mod   and these are only the one we really need

but still the server is working and as the bukkit 1.8 project has set their servers outside the area the usses hand can reach thy can try to bring theis project back to life but hat will take time
Bukkit Project is pretty much dead-in-the-water, but I never used it anyways. I found Spigot provided much, much more. There is also the Sponge API in the works, though I have not followed it in quite some time.

To answer Deckard's concern about Spigot's shutdown, they found a loophole in the legal system, and are really going strong. As of last week, I still owned a 1.8 server; though I did not renew the lease on the machine, and cannot host a server on my campus network.

I still play on occasion, but I had a hard time attracting players, committing to my own server, etc. I rarely go to other servers, simply because I don't agree with many of their business practices that go on. MC Multiplayer has become a "crapitalist" market, and a successful server really has to be a full time job.

That, and it's hard to focus on college AND play games like I used to... These day's I opt for games where I can jump in and out, like a few rounds of TF2, or a single circuit in Super Tux Kart. I've also started to lean towards using consoles more, since they are optimized for the job and I distrohop semi-frequently. (And I never back up my steam games for sake of HDD space :-\ )

Offline Synrgy87

• Contributor
  • There Ain't no Party like an Old School Party.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 01:22:34 AM »
I'd rather play with LEGO, minecraft doesn't appeal to me at all.

Offline Will

• Spatry's Tardis Operator
  • Contributor
  • Chronic Distro Hopper
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 05:08:49 AM »
I used to play it nearly 24/7... put me back a bit with schoolwork. I now hate that game... it doesn't have a purpose...
Ryzen 7 2700x, 32GB(3600MHz), 500GB 850 EVO, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 + EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 | Gentoo

Offline OrvilleG

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 10:46:15 AM »
I used to create some mods
Now I don't play it anymore.

EDIT: Sorry I got my games mixed up. I think i used to play Minecraft, but I'm not sure
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:21:09 PM by EricG »

Offline Deckard Cain

• The wonderful wizard of Trisquel
  • Staff Member
  • Stay a while, and *nix!
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 12:36:24 PM »
I myself was a server administrator for 4 MC servers on a dell poweredge back in "the day". We always used Spigot for its netty networking library (which is kick ass I might add). It's a shame that the game has gone down the road that it has, I had A LOT of fun, but don't play it anymore.
Stay a while, and *nix!

Offline Leck

• www.Lecksite.com
    • Lecksite
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 08:44:46 PM »

i currently play minecraft single player for a few reasons.  having played and finished almost all the top graphical mmos until 2007, i like the solitude of minecraft and mindless building and looking at my creation.  i'm trying to finish the game and beat the ender dragon, because i have an old version.  

they have minecraft on mobile for a low price, and if you want a free version of mc, you can get some obscure mod, because the obscure mods for mobile os aren't the full game, but at least you can play for free.

they say the best way to get into game design is to start modding.  i created a world of warcraft private server from scratch (private wow servers are legal, because you have to buy the game to play on a pserver, but there aren't allowed to have monthly fees, which is what the lawsuits in 2010.  pservers were charging a monthly fee to play wow)  the unique thing about my version was that it accepted 2 language clients in the same world, and i was working on adding more to it when 5 of my hard drives broke all at one probably because the area i had them got too hot and i didn't notice it.  i scrapped the idea, but i still have my lich king server with less bugs than the official wow ever had up to lich king.  i actually fixed a lot of the bugs by removing the buggy parts of the game, so it's a real bug free experience.  

sorry for the runon post

www.Lecksite.com
www.Lecksite.com/leck.html

advanced programmer

Offline Raklödder

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 04:11:38 AM »
Nope, the hype is over, time to move on.

Offline DungeonLord

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 12:00:50 PM »
i think minecraft is just as big as its ever been or bigger. it now has multiple launchers beyond just the basic launcher. atlauncher in particular and has easy to install modpacks that are pretty much guaranteed to work. there is even a mod with permission to make basically a pokemon game in minecraft called pixelmon. if you are ever wondering how popular a game is just go to twitch.tv and look at the games list and the closer to the top of the list a game is the more popular it is.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

Offline biff

• Mumble Staff
  • Contributor
  • Oh Smeg! What the smeging smeg's he smegging done
    • beegok.com
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 04:53:33 PM »
Nope I went all hipster and left when it got popular and the childrens took it over.

Offline Rocket

• RawCourage
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 01:43:46 PM »
I go through times when I play, then times I don't.  I enjoy making really big structures and buildings.  I built an arch bridge recently, which was about 20 blocks above the water.  Then I am currently dinking around with a huge castle.  Go big or go home.

Offline c_smith

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 08:12:26 PM »
I play it in the form of Tekkit and Tekkit Classic, mainly Tekkit Classic.

Geothermal Generators? Low/Medium/High Voltage solar panels and arrays? Mass Fabricators? MFSUs? Energy Collectors and Condensors and Antimatter Relays? in-game PCs? hellz to the yeah to all of that and the fact that nuclear generators and nukes exist!

Offline vstarsteve

• unreformed distrohopper asus z77 sabertooth i7
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 01:09:48 PM »
Yeah baby, my youngest son loves it on xbox. Thought it was a stupid pain in the askme why i care until it grew on me doing creative. We spend hours somedays building away in our own world.