Manjaro By: Matthew_Moore
Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Manjaro By: Matthew_Moore  (Read 38765 times)

Offline Matthew_Moore

• Dev, Show Host & Nuisance
  • Staff Member
  • Founder of Tech Cafe'
Re: Manjaro By: Matthew_Moore
« Reply #120 on: May 11, 2018, 04:59:28 PM »
The answer is,  I have been working on a version 3.0 release. It's mostly completed, But Manjaro upstream has been broken. i have been sitting on it until they fix it. Every since version 17.0.4 it has been broken for me. It wont boot on my hardware at all. Every since they replaced GFX boot with Grub2 on the Live CD, My system wont even POST with a Manjaro boot media inserted. This problem has been reported to Phil, By myself, and by 4 other people that i know of. So far all our bug reports have been ignored. And this issue is different then the EFI issue mentioned before. Where you could simply delete the EFI partition from the Boot media to fix it.  Well this is a whole other problem. So to answer the questions. Manjaro_By_MM version 3.0 exist. But at this point in time, it exist uncompiled on GitHub. If you want to use Version 3.0. Just install Manjaro Main, and import my build packages and themes from Github. You can manually load them and you will basically have version 3.0.  But until Manjaro gets their act together and actually fixes this problem. A new .ISO won't be uploaded. Beucase it would be foolish for me to release that update, and end up not being able to boot my own respin on my own computer. That's why there hasen't been a new .ISO. But version 3.0 exist uncompiled.  If you wish you compile it on your own. Feel free. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   In the mean time, Maybe you guys can help put some pressure on Phil and the Manjaro team to fix this problem. I think it's existed for far to long. And my pleas have gone unanswered. Here is a screenshot of what i have so far. New theme written from scratch. Since applications using QT5.7 don't honor GTK theming properly without modified environment variables. I rewrote the theme to include all that stuff. GTK2, GTK3, Gnome Shell, Unity, and QT compatibility is all there. No need for that QT5CT crap. It works as is. all those packages are on my GitHub page. Feel Free to use whatever you like from my GitHub. Until Upstream Manjaro fixes their B.S. This project is in limbo. The moment they fix it. I can have a working .ISO ready same day. All the hard stuff has already been completed. really just waiting on Upstream Manjaro to fix their bullsh(#t.    >:( 

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #121 on: May 13, 2018, 05:29:14 PM »
Hey Matthew, definitely appreciate the update! I'm glad to see that you are going forward Manjaro by MM 3.0. Really enjoyed the prior builds! Hopefully you didn't take offense to the post from before, it's just how I interpreted the last video that I saw when you were asking the community. Hadn't heard anything since or seen an update on SourceForge, so assumed the project may have been discontinued. Definitely make a fair point though about upstream Manjaro. I don't have enough knowledge myself on building a distro to be able to push back on Phil, but I wish you guys the absolute best with getting the Manjaro team to listen and work with you. :)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Matthew_Moore

• Staff Member
  • Founder of Tech Cafe'
« Reply #122 on: May 13, 2018, 06:44:57 PM »
No because you're not wrong.  I'm using Windows 7, Windows 10, Chrome OS more then i am Linux these days. Nothing wrong with Linux, I'm just burnt out on it. Which is why i have a friend helping me develop and maintain my respin now. I put all that effort in making those themes from scratch, and all that artwork, and various application tweaks. I'm not going to let all that effort be wasted. So there will be a 3.0 release. We're just sitting on it until those upstream problems get fixed. After i release that 3.0 build The project will mostly be maintained by Ben Fitzpatrick after that. I'll still be the one making the custom themes and application tweaks. While ben will do the actual building of the .ISO's. That's the plan anyway.  But the Upstream issues coming from Manjaro has us both sitting on our hands. We're just waiting for a fix.  Once we have one, we'll push a new .ISO out probably the same day.  But after 3.0 The active maintainer will be Ben. I'll still be involved. But he'll be doing most of the heavy lifting. I just don't have the time or energy for that stuff anymore. He wanted a project of his own. But he struggles with the artwork and themeing. I'm constantly making themes and artwork for him for his projects. So this seemed like a good solution for both of us. He gets to maintain a project with an established audience, And i get a platform to release my custom themes and artwork on. We both get what we want. So those are the current plans. But nothing is written in stone.  Most of this is dictated by what happens upstream.  So we'll see.  

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #123 on: May 13, 2018, 09:16:35 PM »
No because you're not wrong.  I'm using Windows 7, Windows 10, Chrome OS more then i am Linux these days. Nothing wrong with Linux, I'm just burnt out on it. Which is why i have a friend helping me develop and maintain my respin now. I put all that effort in making those themes from scratch, and all that artwork, and various application tweaks. I'm not going to let all that effort be wasted. So there will be a 3.0 release. We're just sitting on it until those upstream problems get fixed. After i release that 3.0 build The project will mostly be maintained by Ben Fitzpatrick after that. I'll still be the one making the custom themes and application tweaks. While ben will do the actual building of the .ISO's. That's the plan anyway.  But the Upstream issues coming from Manjaro has us both sitting on our hands. We're just waiting for a fix.  Once we have one, we'll push a new .ISO out probably the same day.  But after 3.0 The active maintainer will be Ben. I'll still be involved. But he'll be doing most of the heavy lifting. I just don't have the time or energy for that stuff anymore. He wanted a project of his own. But he struggles with the artwork and themeing. I'm constantly making themes and artwork for him for his projects. So this seemed like a good solution for both of us. He gets to maintain a project with an established audience, And i get a platform to release my custom themes and artwork on. We both get what we want. So those are the current plans. But nothing is written in stone.  Most of this is dictated by what happens upstream.  So we'll see.  

Matthew I've been interested in theming but I don't know where or how to start.  Can you make any recommendations.  I'm interesting in learning more about gtk2 and gtk3.  Since I'm tired of the themes I've been using with Linux Mint 18.3 xfce.  And I can't seem to find any other themes I like on any of websites you download themes from.   I found some themes I sorta like but I think they need a little tweaking, and I don't know how to do it.

Offline Matthew_Moore

• Staff Member
  • Founder of Tech Cafe'
« Reply #124 on: May 13, 2018, 09:22:16 PM »
I started using a tool called Oomox.  It's a GUI fronted for modifying themes. Mostly Numix themes. Using that i learned how the themes worked, and was able to make my own. So i would start there. Also you can go into your theme directory and find the GTK.CSS file. Use a tool like Gcolor2 in order to get the color codes that you wish to you. And you can edit the color codes in that file to obtain the look you want. That's a crude way to do it. But if you have a theme that's Almost like you want it. That might be good enough to give it that last little something.   But yeah. I started with Oomox. i learned how themes worked using that. So i would maybe start with that. 

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #125 on: May 13, 2018, 09:25:40 PM »
I started using a tool called Oomox.  It's a GUI fronted for modifying themes. Mostly Numix themes. Using that i learned how the themes worked, and was able to make my own. So i would start there. Also you can go into your theme directory and find the GTK.CSS file. Use a tool like Gcolor2 in order to get the color codes that you wish to you. And you can edit the color codes in that file to obtain the look you want. That's a crude way to do it. But if you have a theme that's Almost like you want it. That might be good enough to give it that last little something.   But yeah. I started with Oomox. i learned how themes worked using that. So i would maybe start with that.

Will Oomox import themes that I can download from a theme download site?

Offline Matthew_Moore

• Staff Member
  • Founder of Tech Cafe'
« Reply #126 on: May 13, 2018, 09:29:37 PM »
Only if it's Numix based. But you can use the color codes for other themes. They cross over

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #127 on: May 13, 2018, 09:33:47 PM »
Only if it's Numix based. But you can use the color codes for other themes. They cross over

I'm currently running WM Theme: Plasma Bolt and Vertex-Dark [GTK2] with Icon Theme: WinVista.  What I like to do is change the boarder to a color that make it look like it is glowing.  Like the ghost theme on kde.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #128 on: May 14, 2018, 08:12:55 AM »
Whoa! Lookie what the cat dragged in here! Great to see you active again, Matthew and I second the Oomox, that is awesome for making your own GTK themes!
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline glsmaxx

• Old Dog Learnin' New Tricks
« Reply #129 on: May 14, 2018, 08:24:23 PM »
I liked and learned a lot from this video. I like that using this approach doesn't tie your hands like the oomox approach does. I just felt limited using oomox. Probably just me, I guess. Take a look though, if you want gregorylock

« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 09:18:11 AM by glsmaxx »
Running Manjaro-XFCE  &  Arch-XFCE
           Are There Any Others?

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
Re: Re: Manjaro By: Matthew_Moore
« Reply #130 on: May 19, 2018, 08:14:35 PM »
Whoa! Lookie what the cat dragged in here! Great to see you active again, Matthew and I second the Oomox, that is awesome for making your own GTK themes!

I liked and learned a lot from this video. I like that using this approach doesn't tie your hands like the oomox approach does. I just felt limited using oomox. Probably just me, I guess. Take a look though, if you want gregorylock

I have Oomox installed on my Linux Mint 18.3 xfce.  I had to do it this way:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login I think the only way for me to get the latest version is by running an Arch base distro.  I want to try installing Antergos with xfce in virtual box, and run the latest Oomox.  My current issue is that I can't import the themes I want into Oomox.

Offline Matthew_Moore

• Staff Member
  • Founder of Tech Cafe'
« Reply #131 on: August 18, 2018, 10:57:46 PM »
Ok guys.  Good news.  Manjaro_By_MM_3.0  has been released.  I know it's been a while, But things are moving again.  We've also started a new project. Arch_By_MM. It's XFCE, has an Ncurses based Installer based on the ArchMid scrips. And an active remote repo for easy updating. But that project is still a work in progress.  Until then.  I give you Manjaro_By_MM_3.0.  Enjoy:) 

Post Merge: August 29, 2018, 06:45:29 PM
Ok guys, our Arch Linux spin is now available for download, We had to change the name. Aaron Griffin informed me that the name i had selected was in violation of the Arch Linux trademark policy. So we changed the name to Hackman Linux.  We hope you like it. :)  https://sourceforge.net/projects/hackman-linux/ 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 06:45:29 PM by Matthew_Moore »

Offline olddude

« Reply #132 on: August 30, 2018, 10:47:53 AM »
Thanks Matthew and Ben for all your hard work. What is the login info for the live section? I downloaded the is and I get login screen that says user Linux when I click on it it gets me to a password. I have tried everything I can think of with no result. Help please.
Thanks

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #133 on: August 30, 2018, 11:52:36 AM »
So we changed the name to Hackman Linux.  We hope you like it. :) 
Hackman Linux will be coming up on Cup of Linux just as soon as you or Ben completes the Ubuntu Dirty Helga Edition with EXTRA Amazon Spyware and NSA Backdoors! I suggested she use MALWARE 10 for now! <Guffaw>
"Wipe that NERVOUS expression off of your face, 3PO!" -General Leia Organa SWTLJ

Offline Dirty Helga

• Malevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Do you feel LUCKY today?
Re: Re: Manjaro By: Matthew_Moore
« Reply #134 on: August 30, 2018, 11:56:21 AM »
Hackman Linux will be coming up on Cup of Linux just as soon as you or Ben completes the Ubuntu Dirty Helga Edition with EXTRA Amazon Spyware and NSA Backdoors! I suggested she use MALWARE 10 for now! <Guffaw> 
You seething cesspool of solidified SLIME! I want YOU to make the DH edition of Ubuntu! So GET THE LEAD OUT OF YOUR TUSH and MAKE SOME VIDEOS! Your Audience is WAITING! 
If you BREAK the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, I WILL SHOOT YOU!