Manjaro By: Matthew_Moore
Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Manjaro By: Matthew_Moore  (Read 30442 times)

Offline Xmetalfanx

• Contributor
    • Xmetalfanx's Homepage
Re: Manjaro By: Matthew_Moore
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2014, 12:15:15 AM »
Well (even thought its a bit late) Happy Birthday, Matt

I  am not sure what caused my issue on my older desktop of everything installing and booting fine, but after a reboot, xserver would fail to start (Could likely be a hardware issue, the only effects me due to the hardware in that PC).  I tried to (granted I am going off the manjaro wiki and I'd be lost without it) disable and re-enable mdm, though it keeps doing the same thing.  I then (just picking one at random, honestly.. my favorite is mdm) disabled mdm and installed/enabled lxdm and the (crossing my fingers) problem is gone now.  I am not sure what happened, since I installed a few packages via yaourt and rebooted a few times and there was no problem.  It was after the latest round of updates that coughed my mdm up, and to be honest, it MAY have done the same thing on that PC if it was stock Manjaro.

Anyway, i am off to setup (for the first time NOT in a virtualbox) Arch, which I have been meaning to do (learning Arch) for some time. 

Hope that your fix really did fix the issue with Virtualbox (for your sake, lol).  I cant beleive one of my new favorite distros, got better with this respin... but it did.

As I said before, thank you and Spatry for all the time, effort and hard work you two do.

-Xmetal
My Homepage  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (or mirrored at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login )

Offline Matthew_Moore

• YouTUBE Show Host
  • Contributor
  • The Other Guy. :)
Re: Re: Manjaro By: Matthew_Moore
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2014, 12:24:33 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hope that your fix really did fix the issue with Virtualbox (for your sake, lol).  I cant beleive one of my new favorite distros, got better with this respin... but it did.
-Xmetal
Yes it is fixed now. I Was able to get it tested this time. It's all working now.  Still spinning out The Finalized .ISO's will be online sometime tomorrow. So tomorrow all you guys will have fully working VirtualBox ready .ISO's  :)   Then i won't have to make anymore changes for a wile.  atleast until the next major Manjaro revision. 

Offline Kueller

• Spatry's Security Guard
  • Staff Member
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2014, 12:37:51 AM »
Keep up the good work. I'll be sure to test it out tomorrow as soon as I have time.

Offline Matthew_Moore

• YouTUBE Show Host
  • Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2014, 01:40:30 PM »
Alright guys.  The .ISO's have all been updated once again.  VirtualBox is now working. All the recent updates are included. Everything should be good to go now. I shouldn't have to make anymore changes until the Next version of Manjaro comes out.  :)     Let me know how it works out.

Offline Drakon

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2014, 03:08:41 AM »
@Matthew_Moore

I wonder, why don't you use version system. The only way one can determine if he already have a new version or not is -
1) remembering which was his last update
2) looking for the "last modified" date on your google drive

It would be a lot easier if you would adopt some kind of numeric version system.

Manjaro by MM v0.1 v0.2 v0.3 and etc.
On the other hand, maybe I don't understand something and there is a reason for naming ISO file the same name.

Offline Matthew_Moore

• YouTUBE Show Host
  • Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2014, 04:36:16 AM »
I wonder, why don't you use version system.

Because so far it has all been revisions of the same version. I did 3 updates inside of a week. They were all on the same version. All of those were an attempt to get VirtualBox installs to work. Other then the recent Manjaro updates I did not change anything to the Build in terms of what you see on Native hardware. all the changes were attempts to fix the VirtualBox issues so people could actually get this installed. It was all the same version. Now that Those issues are fixed and have been tested. I will start migrating things over to SourceForge. There i can keep archives of every .ISO i upload. Versioning will start there. Unless any major bugs are discovered the next release will be released with the next Major Update to The Manjaro Main edition. So you guys can relax for a wile.  All updates between now and then will be installed the normal way though your System updates.  or  you can Manually update everything with
sudo pacman -Syyu && sudo yaourt -Syua   
Now that it's finally working things can get more organized. ;)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 04:38:48 AM by Matthew_Moore »

Offline Kueller

• Spatry's Security Guard
  • Staff Member
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2014, 04:54:56 AM »
Finally got around to trying it. Very pretty. Not as full of software and some other bigger distros but it seems like you really did a nice job to pick your favorites and what you thought was the best and I personally liked that a lot. Great setup although I'd probably clean up the taskbar a bit but overall a very nice spin. I could see myself recommending this in the future over the stock Manjaro to some people.

And I really really love the wallpaper.

Offline dougthetechguy

• I'm a Ubergeek
    • Doug The Tech Guy Website
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2014, 10:12:42 AM »
Matt been using your respin on 2 computers and so far it's been smooth sailing I like what you did keep up the good work!! 
There is no such thing as asking a stupid question the only thing stupid is not asking!

Offline dathem

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2014, 01:22:31 AM »
Hello, Love your re-spin of Manjaro! I just installed it and will add a few things, but for the most part you already have installed what I like and need! Just wondering if you can add a program that I seen installed on a number of distro's by Jessie of Australia called Super-Boot-Manager with the fancy animated boot splash using Plymouth?

edited 3-28-14 Hey Matthew, Just wanted to let you know that I have installed your re-spin on a friends computer about 2 hours ago, he left very happy!! I have 1 computer with your re-spin on it and another computer with the stock Xfce. I haven't been this excited about linux for over 10 years!!

edited 3-29-14 Hey Matthew, Just a few minutes ago I installed your Distro on another one of my computers, so I now have 3 computers using your Distro!!

Thanks for all your hard work!!

dathem
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 01:42:06 PM by dathem »

Offline Manjoman

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2014, 10:43:44 AM »
Looks very nice Matthew, I like your videos too.. My Manjaro looks pretty close to yours already with a few variations. but I sure like the iso video you did maybe one day I will do mine.. :-)
"Amateurs built the ark , professionals built the Titanic"

Offline Darthtakyon

Re: Re: Re: Manjaro By: Matthew_Moore
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2014, 10:54:07 AM »
Give it time... I have a lot on my plate right now.. I will get to is sooner or later...

I'll be looking forward to it. Maybe xfce with either emerald or kwin pre-installed. lol
But any ways kudos to Matthew on his re-spin. I'll have to download it and check it out on virtualbox when I have the time.  Maybe I should try and make a light weight version with either fluxbox or i3.

Offline rocky83

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2014, 07:30:43 PM »
hello, im still havinging issuse with this distro im not sure if its the iso or its just my desktop but it doest install completely and it keep saying im missing files (smsmdtv, core) also saying cant access /dev/md* no such file in directory. can you help im not sure what im doing wrong ?

Offline danielson

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2014, 01:39:43 PM »
Your distro Matthew is one of the finest i've come bye in quite some time! :) 

Even with HP Print Manager still can't get HP LaserJet 1018 to work.
Some driver is missing and HP's website doesn't have one for it.
From what i can see i need foo2zjs something available here:

Not sure how to install it but would like to hear from others to see if they've had similar issue...

Offline Matthew_Moore

• YouTUBE Show Host
  • Contributor
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2014, 01:54:47 PM »
Not sure how to install it but would like to hear from others to see if they've had similar issue...

Open terminal and type      "yaourt foo2zjs"   without the quotes.   you will have some choices. type the number or numbers of the driver(s) you want and press enter.  if it ask you to edit the package press N for no.  select Y for yes on everything else.  that's all you have to do to install AUR packages.    as far as printers go, it's always hit or miss in Linux. Try all the drivers you can.  if they all fail then well. check the CUPS website, Buy a printer that's in that list. But that would be last resort.   If you want to know more about how yaourt works. i have a video on it on my youtube channel.

Offline danielson

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2014, 09:22:32 PM »
It worked!

Thanks Matt! ;)

Just curious... how does updating work?
If you make some changes to your version of the distro, does updating do it automatically?