Manjaro By: Matthew_Moore
Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Manjaro By: Matthew_Moore  (Read 30441 times)

Offline Drakon

Re: Manjaro By: Matthew_Moore
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 03:08:24 AM »
May, I suggest a suggestion  ;D (as always)

Anyway, can you put a numeric version of some sort on your distros? So when I downloaded a changed or fixed iso, I know that is the changed one. It might not be a big problem now, but after a while, when you'll have many distros(I'm sure this one will be popular) it would help a lot.  :)

Offline omel

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 08:06:48 AM »
How to get the latest change on the distro without reinstalling the hole system :-)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 08:18:56 AM »
To update Manjaro you can open a terminal and issue the following command.

Code: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
sudo pacman -Syyu
Matthew's respin is based on Manjaro which means it is a ROLLING release. It is advised to run the aforementioned command in your terminal at least twice a month to ensure your system is freshly updated! Cheers!
"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have constructed... The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the FORCE" -Darth Vader

Offline omel

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 08:47:34 AM »
What about Matthews tweaks / repairs to his awesome distro  do i get them too
or how to get them

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2014, 09:01:22 AM »
Yes those will be updated too. Everything in Matthews spin is available in the Manjaro repository.
"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have constructed... The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the FORCE" -Darth Vader

Offline omel

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2014, 09:15:04 AM »
I learn new thinks all time thanks And thanks for your quick answer it is a big value for me in learning linux :-)

Offline Xmetalfanx

• Contributor
    • Xmetalfanx's Homepage
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2014, 01:34:44 PM »
From New users, to users like me who are comfortable with different distros and don't mind distro hoping to play with different releases, I just want to thank Spatry and Matthew Moore (among many others too) who do what they do with the reviews, tutorials, tips, ..etc.   I have recommended Linux to many users who were willing to try it but reluctant about it... I point them to some of your videos and they even come back to me saying "oh, Linux looks cool, i definitely will try one of the distros after seeing how it looks for myself.

I have only installed MM's Manjaro on my older desktop (the first ISO) and I have not had any issues with it other than missing wallpaper (If i am not the only one who is having this happen, ... I still cant bring myself to call this a "bug") .. the reason I have not installed it on this newer laptop I have is that most of the tweaks I have seen are ones I have already done to stock Manjaro myself, though i do have the ISO to have a "Manjaro with tweaks I like 'out of the box' "

I am not sure if I could possibly help with the Virtualbox issues/testing, though I am downloading the updated ISO as I am typing this and will give it a try later.  If I could help in any way, even just test something to see if it is a bug in the ISO, I'd love to help out.

Again, thank you Matthew Moore AND Spatry

-Xmetalfanx
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 01:47:17 PM by Xmetalfanx »
My Homepage  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (or mirrored at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login )

Offline Xmetalfanx

• Contributor
    • Xmetalfanx's Homepage
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2014, 01:55:10 PM »
I just saw a Manjaro post on Facebook saying they are taking down the services and it may last a few days ( You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ) .. I am not sure if this effects the repos too or just the website. Point is that if it does effect all the repos too, it may make bugfixing MM's version problematic.  Just wanted to post this in case people end up having problems later not being able to download anything from the repos, IS NOT a problem with the ISO/ new release, but Manjaro repos themselves.  I am still new to the Arch way of doing things (as opposed to say Debian/Ubuntu based distros or even Slackware) though I WOULD THINK the AUR's from Arch wouldn't be effected, right?

I have Arch on a Vbox right now, though I will eventually install it on one of my computers, one of these days....

-Xmetalfanx
My Homepage  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (or mirrored at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login )

Offline dougthetechguy

• I'm a Ubergeek
    • Doug The Tech Guy Website
Re: Re: Manjaro By: Matthew_Moore
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2014, 03:54:28 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
May, I suggest a suggestion  ;D (as always)

Anyway, can you put a numeric version of some sort on your distros? So when I downloaded a changed or fixed iso, I know that is the changed one. It might not be a big problem now, but after a while, when you'll have many distros(I'm sure this one will be popular) it would help a lot.  :)

I totally agree version numbering and a changelog would be a good idea to include with any modifications made...     
There is no such thing as asking a stupid question the only thing stupid is not asking!

Offline Matthew_Moore

• YouTUBE Show Host
  • Contributor
  • The Other Guy. :)
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2014, 04:05:33 PM »
The changes i made were for virtualbox users, i have been chasing a problem with video blanking in virtual box.  for those that installed this on real hardware nothing has changed for you. no need to concern yourself.  i did add one package to fix an issue with some fonts not showing properly in the web browser. opendesktop-fonts. just search for fonts in Pamac and you will find that. install that and you will be all up to date with my current version.    Again Virtualbox users are the ones effected by these changes.  so if you are installed on native hardware then there is no need to download the updated .iso.    the virtual box problem isn't fully fixed yet.  But i know what the problem is now' and will have it taken care of sometime later this week. Tuesday is my Birthday. so things will be busy for me for the next few days. Unless you are having virtualbox problems then there is no need to download the new .iso. not yet anyways.   and yes i will have version numbers starting with the next major update. Right now i am just trying to debug the build.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 04:21:05 PM by Matthew_Moore »

Offline dougthetechguy

• I'm a Ubergeek
    • Doug The Tech Guy Website
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2014, 04:11:06 PM »
No worries Matt keep up the good work we are just tossing out some helpful ideas..... oh and Happy B-Day!
There is no such thing as asking a stupid question the only thing stupid is not asking!

Offline Matthew_Moore

• YouTUBE Show Host
  • Contributor
Re: Re: Manjaro By: Matthew_Moore
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2014, 04:19:46 PM »

I am not sure if I could possibly help with the Virtualbox issues/testing, though I am downloading the updated ISO as I am typing this and will give it a try later.  If I could help in any way, even just test something to see if it is a bug in the ISO, I'd love to help out.

Again, thank you Matthew Moore AND Spatry

-Xmetalfanx

Based on the results of the last set of changes i made, i am pretty positive i know what the problem is with Virtualbox. its my birthday on Tuesday. so i wont be able to get to it until late in the week.  But if you or anyone else on this forum would be willing to download my modified .iso and test it in Virtualbox before i official put it out there it would certainly help.  That way i could keep everything behind the scenes and only update the public .iso when i know it`s good Instead of guessing all the time.  so if you or anybody else would like to volunteer to be my lab rats. :)  send me a PM  and i can send you a private download link for testing when it`s ready.  it would be good to have a few people around for testing my builds before making them public. so if anyone here would like to volunteer for that just PM me.

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2014, 06:23:29 PM »
ok matthew i have the perfect computer for that ill give it a blast for ya hopefully its fixed lol
Linux is the world of computing were you make your own rules and decisions and not by some corporate aholes!!!!!

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2014, 08:22:50 PM »
Matthew, you can post a link to your modified version and I will happily test it... you can also PM me a link if you would like.

Offline Matthew_Moore

• YouTUBE Show Host
  • Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2014, 07:23:06 PM »
I HAVE SOLVED THE VIRTUALBOX PROBLEM!!!!!   :)      it is going to take some time to get my .ISO's all updated.   Until then you can use this workaround to get it working.     ok in virtual box start the Live CD or ISO   in text mode. to do this type the #3  on your keyboard at the boot screen.  when prompted enter the root password.  the root password is manjaro.  then run "sudo setup"  without the quotes to start the CLI installer.  once you have it installed you should be able to boot up as far as the login screen.  at the login screen change the session to Failsafe-terminal.  elevate to root  by typing  su  it will ask for your password.  This will be the same password you assigned in the installer.   after that enter this command and reboot. 
xfconf-query -c xfwm4 -p "/general/sync_to_vblank" -s false

your virtualbox install is now fixed. :)        It will take me atleast a day to get my .ISO's updated. I have a lot going on right now.  So until then use this work around. I will get those .ISO's updated as soon as possible. 

« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 07:42:35 PM by Matthew_Moore »