HOW to find Linux software alternaives.
Welcome, Guest.
The Chatroom is BACK! --Spatry

Author Topic: HOW to find Linux software alternaives.  (Read 7569 times)

Offline Deckard Cain

• The wonderful wizard of Trisquel
  • Staff Member
  • Stay a while, and *nix!
HOW to find Linux software alternaives.
« on: December 04, 2014, 03:18:44 PM »
Hello Everyone;

When a new user to GNU/Linux first installs their distro, they're often confused as what program does what and with the way that some developers name their programs they struggle to find a free alternative to a program that they used to use in Windows which can often times make a user switch back, as in my case. Some users ask on this forum "What can I use in Linux that replaces Sony Vegas, and which one is best?". My answer is always: "You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login that does the exact same thing as Vegas does and my person favourite is XXX". The website I always use to check for alternatives to software is called "AlternativeTo.net" and it allows users to type in the name of a piece of software, hit search and instantly get a list of software that is similar to their search term. I can even specify what system I would like the software to be designed for: Windows / Mac / GNU/Linux as well as the license of the software: Free or open source, Only open source and Commercial.

If you can't find an alternative on this site, you probably won't find anything else (unless it's really really new). Below is a brief tutorial on how to use the website.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To find an alternative to a piece of software that you use in Windows or any other OS, type it into the field in the top right just as I've done here with Sony Vegas:

Image 1:

As you can see, when I type in Sony Vegas it provides a list of results that may be what I'm looking for, in this case, the first result is exactly what I'm looking for, so click it and you'll see this:

Image 2:

Important things to note in this picture; firstly you'll see at the bottom of the pictures the words "All Platforms", which if you click you can change what OS you're targeting. Secondly, on the right hand side of the picture, at the bottom, you can change the license of the software so that you can target only free software. In this picture:

Image 3:

You'll see the list of software that it found based on your search terms. Here you'll see the name, license and description of the software. If you click the name, it will take you to a page similar to Image 2 and below that it will have alternatives to that software. You can also get a link to the website of the software as well as get an idea of what other users have to say about the software in the "Comments tab" (see Image 2).

If you're a new user to linux, or an experience user and just want to see what other software is out that and how it stacks against your chosen alternative this website will be your BEST FRIEND.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 03:35:29 PM by Spatry »
Stay a while, and *nix!

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Did you look here first?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 04:45:11 PM »
Yes... Alternative.to is an awesome place to look for Linux software replacements. I think I may have mentioned this somewhere on this site.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Lyle

• Supporter!
  • Contributor
Re: HOW to find Linux software alternaives.
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 08:43:08 PM »
Cool.   This is one of the things I like about Linux.  I can download programs and try them without messing up my computer. (for the most part...... Ha Ha).
Dorothy "How do you talk,  if you don't have a brain?"

Scare Crow " I don't know .  I don't have a brain.  Lots of people do though".

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 10:30:52 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Cool.   This is one of the things I like about Linux.  I can download programs and try them without messing up my computer. (for the most part...... Ha Ha).

One of the best ways to learn is by BREAKING THINGS... much the same way as I learned how to use Windows. A wise man once told me "If you can learn from YOUR mistakes, you are pretty smart, but if you can learn from someone else's mistakes, you are a genius!"
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Mikepjr

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 12:01:55 AM »
I can't even figure out HOW to install or just.. get software from that site to run.
Figured out how to download things from there, but no such luck getting things to run.
Using Linux Mint 17.2

Offline JayVii

• Contributor
    • JayVii's Page
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 12:38:38 AM »
Hey Mikepjr,
usually downloading an installer from some weird website isn't needed in linux. That's actually ONE of the reasons why linux is more secure than windows is...
Just look in your packagemanager/softwarecenter, if the software you want to install is available there. If not, there might be a community repository for it. in the case of Ubuntu/LinuxMint, those community-repos would be PPA's. 90% of the time, those are hosted on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

As an example, I took the alternate webbrowser "You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login".
Adding its PPA to your system isn't that hard. You just have to open a terminal and issue following commands:
Code: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:midori/ppa
sudo apt-get update

After that, Midori is ready to install with a simple:
Code: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
sudo apt-get install midori
Of course, this works with every PPA on launchpad. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login also host a bunch of PPA's.

Just a note here: by adding PPA's you TRUST the host to not screw with the packages they upload. It has to be clear to you, that these repositories are now part of your system and could potentially mean a security-issue.
That is with every Repository, but generally you can trust your Distribution's main-repos. And usually you can trust Launchpad-PPA's as well... Just be aware of a risk-potential here.

However, this is still more secure than trusting some random package from some random website ;)

I hope, I could clear some things up for you. Cheers!

Offline Mikepjr

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 12:42:13 AM »
Trying to find an alternative to Camtasia.. which is what i used on Windows to record my desktop and myself on web cam, or just my voice and my desktop.
It let me render videos as well.. and do editing.. it was sort of an all in one piece of software.
I need it for my youtube channel.. and so far i'm having hell with all this stuff.

Offline JayVii

• Contributor
    • JayVii's Page
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 12:50:41 AM »
There are a bunch of applications, you could use to record your desktop (SimpleScreenRecorder, FFMPEG, RecordMyDesktop, Kazam, ...).

You can show your face with Cheese or GUVC.

Audacity makes a really good soundrecorder ;)

Editing videos, can easily be done with several applications like:
Openshot, Lightworks, Pitivi, KDEnlive, ...
(The last of these is my personal favorite and can also record your desktop/camera).

EDIT:
Actually, now that i'm re-reading your post, "KDEnlive" really might be exactly what you are looking for.

Offline Mikepjr

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 12:57:52 AM »
I think i might ask what Spatry uses in a PM to do the things he needs to do with his YT channel.
There goes that idea.. only staff can PM him.. that sucks..
BTW, i don't really want to have to download different pieces of software to do what i could do with something that was more all in one with windows.
Now i think i remember why i ran back to windows.. but damn.. i'm sick of MS' bullcrap...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 01:04:13 AM by Mikepjr »

Offline JayVii

• Contributor
    • JayVii's Page
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 01:01:29 AM »
I think i might ask what Spatry uses in a PM to do the things he needs to do with his YT channel.

KDEnlive, among some other Applications, I believe. He does have some Tutorials on it, if you want to check it out.

Offline c00ter

• Elite Member
  • I'm an Alaskan! Where's my darn flag!
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 09:26:44 PM »
List of Multimedia Applications from the ArchWiki: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Synrgy87

• Contributor
  • There Ain't no Party like an Old School Party.
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 11:10:14 PM »
For recording yourself via webcam, and your desktop and whatever else the best option I've found is OBS Studio

which is now multi platform. It's very flexible I'd highly recommend it on both windows and Linux, works on mac too apparently but I've not personally used it as I don't do apple.

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 12:18:09 AM »
yea  my daughter uses obs for her pics she does
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline MyndPhantom

• Linux's Apparition
  • Contributor
  • goofball / linux noob :)
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 02:50:05 PM »
This site has some listings also but you might want to cross refference the package names in case some have been renamed  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Willing and usually able to return the linux help favor's that
 have been passed on to me. stop by and see us in mumble
or COL chat     8)

Offline Jorkano Faln

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2015, 07:44:13 PM »
Hello
There is website called pkgs.org which allows you to search Linux applications (packages) and to find the procedure on how to install the "package" on many distros such as Slackware, Centos, Ubuntu, etc.
Regards
Jorkano Faln