Smoke Break with IVAN
Welcome, Guest.
“Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.” ― Linus Torvalds

Author Topic: Smoke Break with IVAN  (Read 10548 times)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Smoke Break with IVAN
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 06:55:13 PM »
We will see about that... I have some plans for Dirty Helga presently... Not sure when I will have time to get her into the project I am thinking of...
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Dirty Helga

• Malevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Do you feel LUCKY today?
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2014, 07:06:41 PM »
I am not gonna appear in any of your stinking projects until you PAY ME, Mister! I am not an Elephant.... I do not work for Peanuts!
If you BREAK the RULES, I WILL SHOOT YOU!

Offline SLCBagpiper

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2015, 01:32:21 PM »
That's hysterical!  

Could you please share a bit about the music?  Did you sequence that yourself?  If so, did you use an external MIDI keyboard?  What program was it?  Do you have a tutorial posted somewhere?

"Ees get vun seegarette een pack wrong, and "Dasvidanya, tovarich!"
If it's stupid, but it works, then it's not stupid.
                          --Murphy's Military Law, Art. III

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2015, 06:07:12 PM »
That video clip was made almost 10 years ago, long before I transitioned to Linux. The background music was made from a public domain midi file converted to wav. The video was also made in Macromedia Flash. Since Flash is not native to Linux, I do not have a tutorial on composing works with that software.

Offline mike44njdevils

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2015, 08:40:52 PM »
I clicked this thread thinking there was a fellow cigar enthusiast on here (I'm pretty sure there is somewhere).  I'm not disappointed with the content of this thread, but had hoped to see a big, fat stogie being smoked. ;)

Offline Nostromov

Re: Re: Smoke Break with IVAN
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2016, 02:23:17 PM »
[..] to see a big, fat stogie being smoked. ;)

Ugh, would that be a "cigar", as in: Bone Thugs-N-Harmony - Budsmokers Only?..;) :)

Edit: Whoa (?!), the forum has auto-inserted teh YouTube video! o.0
Z68A-G43 (G3) - i7-3770 - Vengeance 2x4GB 2133MHz - GTX 650 Gainward

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2016, 04:34:45 PM »
That is how we set up things on here.... Cheers

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2019, 01:02:03 PM »
I just found this!  Original post was back in 2014!  I'm such a slow learner!  Gah!

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2019, 03:20:00 PM »
We will skip the court martial this time! HA HA HA!

Offline tinkerer

• Old guy from Scotland
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2019, 09:53:43 AM »
I gave up smoking years ago, but then I started again in 2003, this time it was cigar addiction, specifically Old Port rum soaked cigars.

I managed to give up cigars, but my next addiction was chocolate. Anything that contains chocolate I would eat non-stop. I am now overweight.

Drinking too much coffee upsets my stomach, so that was never a viable alternative to smoking.

Now and then I get the hankering for a cigarette, but they are so expensive here in the UK with tax and VAT (and rightly so), that I've been put off taking up smoking again due to financial restraints.

But chocolate biscuits are reasonably cheap.......

Frank
The first law of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts.
(Aldo Leopold)

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2019, 11:32:14 AM »
I used to have an addiction to cigars back when I was in the Navy. One of my friends introduced me to the Gurkha brand and they were awesome. One of the best ways to relax when you are out to see and no land in sight. Alcohol was obviously not allowed. However, they would host a steel-beach picnic with a movie and a couple of vouchers for a can of beer after 45 days straight of being out at sea. Those were good times. Glad to have done it, but glad that's it's over. Definitely a life changing experience.

I took on smoking cigarettes later since I couldn't really afford the Gurkha's on a civilian wage (at least not when I came home). I've almost, for the most part dropped the habit. It's to the point where I can go fairly long periods of them without one and not feel like I need it, but sometimes will socially smoke with my wife (we're both not regulars) after a stressful week.

I gave up smoking years ago, but then I started again in 2003, this time it was cigar addiction, specifically Old Port rum soaked cigars.

I managed to give up cigars, but my next addiction was chocolate. Anything that contains chocolate I would eat non-stop. I am now overweight.

Drinking too much coffee upsets my stomach, so that was never a viable alternative to smoking.

Now and then I get the hankering for a cigarette, but they are so expensive here in the UK with tax and VAT (and rightly so), that I've been put off taking up smoking again due to financial restraints.

But chocolate biscuits are reasonably cheap.......

Frank

I could always go for some coffee with a side of milk chocolate. Good stuff. Also, why I am a tad on the overweight side myself lol.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2019, 08:35:52 AM »
I switched to E-cigarettes February 1, 2012 and became a non-smoker that way. After about a year and a half of vaping I quit that cold turkey... E-Cigarettes is the miracle which enabled me to quit smoking! I kept cutting the amount of nicotine in the vape juice until one day I decided I did not need to do it anymore!
Sorry I have not posted much lately, I am working a new job and it is draining a lot out of me.... I am still around though and I have not forgotten you guys!

Offline tinkerer

• Old guy from Scotland
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2019, 03:56:54 PM »
Good to hear from you again Spatry!

I've never been tempted to try vaping, it looks so cumbersome and unappealing. Part of the pleasure for me when I smoked was the act of taking a cigarette from the packet, getting my Zip lighter and 'lighting up'. I got an even more relaxing sensation when I rolled my own cigarettes. Of course the main pleasure was the taste and smell of the tobacco itself.

Putting those vaping machines to my mouth and inhaling heated phials of scented chemicals is not for me.  I would prefer the more deadly chemicals contained in tobacco. :)

Thank God I gave up smoking.

Frank
The first law of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts.
(Aldo Leopold)

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Re: Smoke Break with IVAN
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2019, 05:53:43 PM »
I would prefer the more deadly chemicals contained in tobacco. :)
Essentially, the vape is a flavored glycerine food grade product, what you are taking into your lungs is water vapor which is much safer than the tars and carcinogens in cigarettes. Some countries consider people who vape as non-smokers.

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2019, 05:54:03 PM »
Glad you guys quit smoking, maybe you'll be around longer, fighting for peace and prosperity.  lol