I don't believe Microsoft needs to Upcycle Windows 7
Welcome, Guest.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Author Topic: I don't believe Microsoft needs to Upcycle Windows 7  (Read 596 times)

Offline eronis

« on: February 08, 2020, 07:13:09 PM »
These days, some Linux users in the community keep yelling at Microsoft like "Ohh! Upcycle Windows 7! Listen to us Microsoft! You greedy devil!"

The thing these friends of ours misses is the fact that Windows 7 source code can be used to improve Wine in a way that was never possible before. It means that the only selling point of Windows 10 would be taken away from Microsoft. If they were the CEO of a company trying to make a profit from selling software, I'm sure they wouldn't give away the only selling point of their software to be used freely either. Think about it. It would mean even Apple products would be able to run .exe files in future. That would ruin Microsoft. Windows 10 is a dying cow, and Microsoft wants to squeeze the milk out of Windows 10 before it dies.

Evidently, Microsoft will remake the Windows OS. It can be in 5 to 10 years. I don't know. IMHO, this may result in Microsoft releasing Windows 10 source code into Github. So, there is still hope that we will get the source code of Windows OS. I may be wrong. They may decide to put a compatibility layer in new Windows, so it would run .exe files perfectly. They do have a compatibility mode for older Windows versions as well. So, why not? We will see in time.

That's my opinion on the subject. Please let me know what you think of the current situation. Do you believe Microsoft should give away their work to the community? Do you think it's okay for Microsoft to keep the source code to themselves? What would it REALLY mean (or happen) if the source code were made available?
The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it. --Linus Torvalds

Offline Kalthrix

• Staff Member
Re: I don't believe Microsoft needs to Upcycle Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 11:29:46 AM »
To be honest, I doubt they will. Windows 10 is built on top of 20+ year old code. There would be no point to using Windows if the code was all of a sudden open-sourced. It would ruin profits for Microsoft. No matter how many people petition for the code to be released, Microsoft still has a say and I can guarantee that they are not going to be releasing anything. 

Also, consider if they actually went through and released the code, how many of their contracts would they be jeopardizing. There are still plenty of businesses that are using much older version of Windows such as the U.S. government, military, hospitals, and small businesses that don't have the means to upgrade their equipment. To them, it's easier to buy extended support from Microsoft than to have to buy more modern equipment and pay for a modern OS. Not to mention any programs that they use that might not support a newer version of Windows. Also, releasing the code will allow those with malicious intent easier access to develop malware for Windows. Lots of factors to consider.

I won't personally be signing the petition. It's a waste of time and effort in my opinion. It would be like asking Apple to open-source macOS. Not going to happen and a petition won't make any difference in the matter.

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 02:37:19 PM »
I highly doubt they will too. All points made so far are exactly the same as mine. I'm doing just fine with Debian as my base, Windows 7 locked down in a VM, and a simple dual monitor setup. I personally have no need, want, or interest in Windows source code. Keep it away from my Linux!
Custom Linux PC Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 16GB DDR3 256GB M.2 NVMe 5.5TB Storage

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 10:55:20 PM »
Ahhh here we go beating that dead horse once again... LOL Remember kids... do not take freebies from big evil companies with their eye on your wallet and true friends do not let their friends use Windows!

Maybe one day WINE will become obsolete if M$ decides to transition their OS into a Linux based system. Software devs will have no choice but to make their software Linux compatible. I am sure Microsoft will come up with ways to lock stuff down like they always do... it is the nature of the beast!
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline Challene

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 04:12:18 AM »
I don't know much about this, but just for an example -> If Microsoft will open the windows src and src for .exe files as well and all this will be implemented by wine, doesn't it mean that there will be more malware for linux? And the other thing -> As I remember, they bought rights for .exe format(MS).

P.S. No, I'm not saying that opening windows src is a bad idea.(Even if it will not happen)

Offline eronis

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 05:39:52 AM »
I don't know much about this, but just for an example -> If Microsoft will open the windows src and src for .exe files as well and all this will be implemented by wine, doesn't it mean that there will be more malware for linux? And the other thing -> As I remember, they bought rights for .exe format(MS).

P.S. No, I'm not saying that opening windows src is a bad idea.(Even if it will not happen)
It wouldn't be a security concern because wine programs only affect the wine directory. If you use PlayOnLinux and use multiple wine virtual machines, you should be fine. It would only make necessary software like medicine software used in hospitals or professional programs like Adobe Suite possible to run on Linux. They could even run better on Linux since it uses less resource, doesn't do any background process slowing down your system, or pushing obligatory reboots. Programs and information inside them will also be more immune to viruses. Because, you know... Windows.
The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it. --Linus Torvalds

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 01:02:26 AM »
if I remember correctly, even having the source code tree to Windows would be essentially worthless except to examine how it works.  They have some kind of bizarre build system that they use at the Lair of Evil that you'd have to duplicate to build anything runnable from the source code.
If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.