Archiving "Files" Container Question
Welcome, Guest.
The Chatroom is BACK! --Spatry

Author Topic: Archiving "Files" Container Question  (Read 71 times)

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
Archiving "Files" Container Question
« on: November 09, 2019, 04:05:45 PM »
In my Dos and Windows days I learned how to pkzip files and directories.  As Windows moved on I continued to use the zip format.

I have several web browser profiles.  I've put in a lot of time creating bookmarks etc.  I decided that I should start archiving my .mozilla and .waterfox directories.  That way I can store them on any formatted usb drives.  I tested this out zipping them and discovered that I get errors.  However some of the other formats seem to work.  I decided to google a list of containers to find out what is the most popular.  Here is what I found. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Here is a list of formats I'm looking at:  .7z .ar .bz2 .cbz .ear .gz .jar .lzma .tar .tar.7z .tar.bz2 .tar.gz .tar.lzma .tar.xz .war .xz

Which one is the most popular in the Linux community?

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
Re: Archiving "Files" Container Question
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 04:17:15 PM »
for linux from what ive seen mostly uses tar files. not sure if that helps.
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline fraterchaos

• Mandelbrot Metal Mayhem!
  • Staff Member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 06:57:47 PM »
tar was always the standard linux archive format... but these days you should be able to use nearly anything.

I am surprised you are getting errors with zip files, they should work fine. What archiver are you using to create them?
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 06:41:25 AM »
It always depends on having the underlying libraries installed although I thought it would gripe about that.
If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 07:48:28 AM »
Some time ago I compared file compression formats and the two best formats in terms of compressed size are 7z and tar.xz, I use tar.xz for most of my archiving needs.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 09:57:37 AM »
I've used thunars "Create Archive" a few times, and will use any installed compression.

now I would just copy the directory as is to a usb drive. I'd maybe zip it up if I were sending it across a network. It's not like space is at a premium anymore, larger files are more risky on poor quality usb drives, and we're limited to a 4GB file size on default formatting.

But then my .mozilla directory in this instance is only 28MB.

Without a fully functional 7zFM like utility in Linux I've abandoned using any. I do use file system level compression, and now expand any zipped files into directories, so my perusing is never slowed by an additional click.

Offline Ironclaw

• Terminal Multiplexer
  • Staff Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 01:50:44 PM »
7zip is available on Linux, I'd assume that it's in the default repository of practically every distribution out there.
If you must persist, I will be forced to tar you, then gzip you and finally umount you.