Is Theming Evil?
Welcome, Guest.
The Chatroom is BACK! --Spatry

Author Topic: Is Theming Evil?  (Read 46 times)

Offline Vintalorian

• SIMPLE. ELEGANT. FAST. LINUX.
    • Vintalorian's Home
Is Theming Evil?
« on: September 12, 2019, 02:06:28 PM »
Hey people, I just wanted to gauge your opinions on something. Gardiner Bryant (The Linux Gamer) on YouTube has suggested that "theming" GNOME is bad because it is essentially hacking the css script that helps make up the desktop environment, and it could break stuff. I do have personal experience with this (see my rant from a while back about GNOME removing transparencies from its default theme), and I can understand where he is coming from somewhat. My problem with his stance on the issue is that I think it's incredibly stupid that GNOME doesn't offer the ability to theme by default, even though almost every other desktop environment does, and we know that Linux people like to theme. The ONLY option that we have to customize our GNOME desktop is to theme/tweak with the hacks we have. How do you guys feel about this? Is this a problem for you? Let me know.

-Vint
Do the right thing. Use Linux.

Offline Spatry

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator - Sysop
  • Cup of Linux Founder
    • Cup of Linux
Re: Is Theming Evil?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 12:32:27 AM »
Most of us came to Linux because of the many customizing options other operating system cannot or will not provide. I remember a time when Gnome was VERY EASY to customize to the end user's liking... now their goal is to "dumb it down" and force people to use it their way. All things being FOSS, you can fork the code and make your own at least, but I would not consider THAT to be evil. The Gnome developers have their reasons for doing things the way they want and if you do not like it, you can opt to use something else if you are unable to change the code.
Windows assumes the user is an idiot... Linux DEMANDS Proof!

Offline farevildee

• Tyrannical Rule Enforcer
  • Staff Member
  • Linux is learning and freedom
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 03:09:39 PM »
one of the many reasons i hate using gnome 3 it has its good points but linux users do like to make it there's.
Friends don't let friends use WIndows or Mac OS.

Offline Crimson

• Contributor
  • Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier.
    • «FC» FunHouse Clan
« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:34:16 AM »
I had a whole speech ready for this but since I forgot most of it I'll just say I don't mind the lack of native themes for GNOME 3. I find that once you start modding how GNOME looks and runs, performance tends to start taking a hit.

I got really close to adopting KDE Plasma because of this, but then things began getting too cluttered because I can't stop modifying things. Eventually I got to the point that I just want something nice, simple, clean, and intuitive and GNOME has always been my go to Desktop, so I went back to GNOME.

I used to hate that about GNOME, but like I said, I tend to mod too much and end up hurting performance. To sum, I'm happy with the way it is, no it's not evil, it simply becomes problematic for people like me.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login HP EliteBook 850 G3 i5-6300U Intel HD Graphics 520 16GB DDR4 512GB M.2 NVMe 480GB SSD