Zeitgeist Tracking Research: Is Like a Wild Goose Chase.
Welcome, Guest.
The Chatroom is BACK! --Spatry

Author Topic: Zeitgeist Tracking Research: Is Like a Wild Goose Chase.  (Read 592 times)

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
Re: Re: Zeitgeist Tracking Research: Is Like a Wild Goose Chase.
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2019, 07:17:08 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
/var/log/apt/history.log
..also synaptic has a history view in its menu, check that too.

..for debian, deadbeef is in non-free, maybe 'universe' for ubunut's? or direct download and use gdebi.

... synaptic can install it to I think, I just use gdebi. Explore synaptic, it can show you all dependencies, dependents, installed files, orphans, obsolete, logs, etc, etc. It's the only tool needed really and can do everything the command line can.

Click on txt file, or open with Mousepad if no mime type is attached, you should get a "not UTF-8 valid" dialog box, where I select 'Other' and in the dropdown box select ISO-8859-14
..Then the file should appear in the preview box as normal, click ok, it opens in mousepad and will save to that format.

Actually I thought Time Ghost is a perfect name for what it does. Again, it's one of how many things that keeps track of stuff. I prefer to use my brain. I deemed it unnecessary more than unsafe. But I also think it could be abused.

I looked at deadbeef and I don't know how to install that.  I don't have a problem with puddletag or kid3.

I'll test mousepad with windows 7.

I never heard of Time Ghost.  Remember I'm really new to Linux.  I don't like things keeping logs on what I do.  I don't even like that Audacity keeps recently opened files.  I don't need that feature.  I just wrote a thread explaining why I find the name You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

Offline fraterchaos

• Mandelbrot Metal Mayhem!
  • Staff Member
  • Never underestimate the power of human stupidity
Re: Zeitgeist Tracking Research: Is Like a Wild Goose Chase.
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2019, 08:03:05 PM »
zeit geist = time ghost

if you are looking at an exact translation
Science, like Nature, must also be tamed... with a view towards it's preservation. -- Rush

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2019, 11:11:48 AM »
fraterchaos, danke.
I looked at deadbeef and I don't know how to install that.
Install GDEBI
Download the deb, and click on it!

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2019, 07:35:07 PM »
fraterchaos, danke.Install GDEBI
Download the deb, and click on it!

When I was on the website I didn't see any deb files.  That is why I said I don't know how to install it.

Offline CwF

• Elite Member
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2019, 08:22:26 PM »
When I was on the website I didn't see any deb files.  That is why I said I don't know how to install it.
You're right, sorry, I hadn't checked lately. The current .8.0 is a tarball..In the older releases there are the older static deb builds. I just looked and 0.7.2-2 is still there. So the good news is developement continues, the bad news is no static deb yet...

Note plugins may need to be manual copied to ~/.local/lib/deadbeef/

...just downloaded deadbeef-static_1.8.0-1_x86_64.tar.bz2 and extracted it somewhere and clicked on the deadbeef executable and it works.
I will need to upgrade my own amd64 image currently with .7.2. This is the only program in the category I'm watching. Truth is I use the original foobar2000 still. I will try to evaluate this someday.

Offline gregorylock

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2019, 01:42:34 PM »
I tried emailing the dev of Zeitgeist again.  I found a gmail account on the webpage this link will take you too.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  This time I got a response.

ME:
Someone told me about the existence of Zeitgeist.  I started researching.  Read some old articles from 2012.  I got some questions!  But firstly I wanted to notify you that synaptic package manager told me your projects website (zeitgeist-project.com) and when I tried to go there, these two URLs interrupted me.  iyfnzgb.com and sarah.runtnc.net.  After a little googling around I discovered they are malware.

Siegfried Gevatter:
Thank you for your email. Zeitgeist has been in maintenance mode for some years (ie. is no longer being actively developed). I guess we stopped renewing the domain and someone else snatched it up.

ME:
I have one more question, that I didn't find an answer too, in my searches.  Why did you and your team choose the name Zeitgeist?

Siegfried Gevatter:
The project got its name from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, basically the word Zeitgeist desctibes s this overall spirit that characterizes a given time (and the software aimed to figure out, at a much smaller scale, what is the current task and how to help you with it).
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 09:28:28 PM by gregorylock »